FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is Prog??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 13:47
Prog Rock?
No, to me it's not about the irregular metre. Listening to good prog is like reading a book or watching a movie. There must be a concept, a story, some kind of structure, different characters - instruments - that develop throughout the piece or the album. You will often hear suspence and drama changing places with romance and tranquility. It is a lot like classical music, but trying to avoid all the cliches. It is also a lot like jazz, but more melodic and focused. It is as powerful, but not as simple as traditional rock and metal. Sometimes prog can be catchy, like pop, but far more interesting to listen to...Well...
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2018 at 14:30
Originally posted by Skala Skala wrote:

Prog Rock?
No, to me it's not about the irregular metre. Listening to good prog is like reading a book or watching a movie. There must be a concept, a story, some kind of structure, different characters - instruments - that develop throughout the piece or the album. You will often hear suspence and drama changing places with romance and tranquility. It is a lot like classical music, but trying to avoid all the cliches. It is also a lot like jazz, but more melodic and focused. It is as powerful, but not as simple as traditional rock and metal. Sometimes prog can be catchy, like pop, but far more interesting to listen to...Well...

100% agree,  could not put that better myself!....Smile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2018 at 02:33
Originally posted by Skala Skala wrote:

Prog Rock?

Well said, and your post immediately brings to mind Yes, Genesis, and Gentle Giant (arguably three top prog bands).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12