Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedi wish philippines was a progrock country

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: i wish philippines was a progrock country
    Posted: September 09 2005 at 19:43

im kinda new here!!! i found this site a few days ago. its  cool coz i find people who's in the same frequency as i am (if you know what i mean!). Im JD, a Physical Therapist based here in the philippines, where prog music is not that popular (or not at all!!!). its very hard to find records!

i started to listen to prog when i entered college. i was about 17 years old then (im 23 now)

twas introduced to me by my classmate. my first prog experience was with of course.. dream theater (mtropol part I). when i first heard them, it changed and widened my musical "world"!

i couldnt believe my ears when those guys played in unison! i borrowed the record from him immediately!

local record bars here in the philippines doesnt have that range of prog works in thier racks!

theres only one place here in manila that all prog rockers go to buy an album. its a place called cartimar in Recto avenue. its within the university belt, located in the heart of manila.

you can find rare prog, goth, power metal, classic prog, jazz fusion and many other rare stuffs!

that guy who introduced me to prog, is our drummer now. we play dream thaeter, spiral architect, ring of fire,  Mr. big, symphony x some iron maidens, rush, and andromeda covers to name a few! we also have our own songs too, mostly influnced by dream theater (neat instrumentals and melodic tunes!).were called Prog-o-matic, i do the voice. i admire James LaBrie, eric matin, Phil anselmo, geddy lee, robert smith. non prog artists include tool, the red hot chili peppers, the cure, supertones and many others!

these are the stuffs i listen to now:

1. Octavarium

2. Sonata Arctica- reconing night

3. Symphony x- V, twighlight at the olympus

4. Spocks beard- the light

5, Stratovarius- Infinite

you can  make suggestions!! id appreciate it!

thanks all and keep that prog flame burning!!!!!!!

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2005 at 20:08

welcome mayhem, we've been expecting you.

aside progmetal which you obviously like, what other music do you enjoy, if I may so boldly inquire

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 18:18

well i listen to funk, acid jazz, jazz fusion, some new waves, some of beethoven and mozarts work, christian rock to state a few!!! thanks!

Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 23:41

Hello Mayhem, I'm Trotsky from Malaysia ...

If only I'd known about Cartimar when I went to Manila in 2003 ... instead I checked out about 5 shops (including Tower in Makati) ... and "all" I got was 2 Chris De Burgh and a Slade ... not bad albums, but very far from a prog-haul ...

Your prog is generally much newer than mine ... but there are plenty of people here with similar tastes ...

Welcome & see you around!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
 Post Reply Post Reply