Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1974 to 1977 debut & sole studio album releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1974 to 1977 debut & sole studio album releases

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which of these favourites of mine is your favourite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [2.08%]
3 [3.13%]
4 [4.17%]
1 [1.04%]
6 [6.25%]
3 [3.13%]
1 [1.04%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [4.17%]
2 [2.08%]
1 [1.04%]
5 [5.21%]
12 [12.50%]
7 [7.29%]
4 [4.17%]
7 [7.29%]
1 [1.04%]
3 [3.13%]
4 [4.17%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [7.29%]
8 [8.33%]
4 [4.17%]
6 [6.25%]
1 [1.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 to 1977 debut & sole studio album releases
    Posted: February 19 2018 at 12:46
Inspired by the poll made by PresDoug which was recently bumped, I bring you some of my favourites from the period.

These are some of my favourite debut and sole studio albums that were released in the years 1974, 1975, 1976, and 1977. I'm sure that I've missed many of my favourites (in fact, I ran out of space and would have liked to mention more) as I'm not being very careful in coming up with this. Vote for one of these, and mention that in a post if you do comment, but at the same time, please do feel free to mention recommendations to me (doesn't mean I'll respond) or remind me of ones I missed that you know I like. After all, I've been around for 12 years and some of you seem to know what I like even better than what I remember, and a few of you have helped to open up new musical avenues to me. Sometimes I think afterwards, I wish I hadn't included that one and usually I kick myself for missing something after I make a poll. This does focus on some of my favourite categories in PA.

I do expect that I will have made errors. Incidentally, all of these are in Prog Archives. I have enabled multiple voting, which is usually safe when the names aren't that huge, so vote for as many as you like, and if you only know one, feel free to vote. My tastes are not very mainstream (not thinking maybe I should have included Quiet Sun's Mainstream, haha, nah, I'll stick with my list).

Once again, these are some of my favourites listed in PA that to my knowledge released the first studio album between and including 1974 and 1977, so please don't be disappointed if none of your favourites are on the list (but perhaps your favourite will become my favourite at some time -- it's a journey and I do love to discover new-to-me music). As always, I do appreciate recommendations. I hope that someone will discover something they like on this list, but it's too long a list to provide samples of all of the albums. In terms of discovering albums, I sometimes find the shorter lists better, so I often like to do four or five and have clips off of the albums or from all of the artists, but this is something different.

There's actually too much that I love here to even want to vote, to be honest, and I expect that one or two others might feel the same. List-making can be such a pointless exercise.

EDITED to fix an album title.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2018 at 04:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 13:26
I've only heard a handful of these, but Pierrot Lunaire is a masterpiece Wink
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 13:51
Some great contenders in there, but I'm going with the Univers Zero.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:54
Some great contenders in there, but I'm going with Pierrot Lunaire. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:57
can't vote, know very few of these

Edited by Cristi - February 19 2018 at 14:57
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:25
though I must say as much as I love the  Pierrot Lunaire album.... would have voted for Kew Rhone over it.

an obviously VASTLY underrated and unappreciated masterpiece of an album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

though I must say as much as I love the Pierrot Lunaire album.... would have voted for Kew Rhone over it.

Damn, I have that album in my collection, love it, and missed it. Not underrated or underappreciated by me despite missing it from the poll -- it would easily make my list and has been on past polls of mine. I'm tempted to replace one with that album as Kew Rhone is one of my very favourite albums of 1977.

Edited by Logan - February 19 2018 at 15:42
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Feel free to vote if you only know one, or even one track -- heck, feel free to vote on who has the coolest album name if you like. I didn't expect many people to know much in my list. I'm just happy if anyone shows any interest in any of them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 15:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Feel free to vote if you only know one, or even one track -- heck, feel free to vote on who has the coolest album name if you like. I didn't expect many people to know much in my list. I'm just happy if anyone shows any interest in any of them.

ok then, Finnforest's debut. 

That Goblin OST is pretty good, too and so is the movie. Why not choose Roller?

I'm gonna listen to Ragnarok, I listen a bit on you tube and I'm gonna look for more. :)
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:00
Mamamia!Tough choice. A little voice in my head tells me that I'll still listen to Vortex in ten years.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:37
^ Love Vortex.

ok then, Finnforest's debut. 

That Goblin OST is pretty good, too and so is the movie. Why not choose Roller?

I'm gonna listen to Ragnarok, I listen a bit on you tube and I'm gonna look for more. :)

I went with Profondo Rosso because it's listed as the debut. Raganarok is a great one, imo.

Edited by Logan - February 19 2018 at 16:38
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:41

though I must say as much as I love the Pierrot Lunaire album.... would have voted for Kew Rhone over it.

Damn, I have that album in my collection, love it, and missed it. Not underrated or underappreciated by me despite missing it from the poll -- it would easily make my list and has been on past polls of mine. I'm tempted to replace one with that album as Kew Rhone is one of my very favourite albums of 1977.

I had thought you were one of the few fans of that album here.  In general though..  I do think it highly underrated and definitely unappreciated outside of a handful of us Greg. Same old story man...  lost in shadow of sh*t albums by 'popular' groups who by 1977 were about to crash and burn and become pop bands or just on creative autopilot...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:44
Tough one. It's between Aqua, Profondo Rosso and Venusian Summer.

But like the other poll with Hackett, Lenny came out of a big band. And Tangerine Dream had just hit paydirt after four years with Phaedra. 

I'll give this one to Profondo Rosso. Goblin immediately established themselves as a force, and as a band that almost exclusively composed music for film (which was more popular than their studio albums), they found a niche as unique as anything before it in rock.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:51
Plat Du Jour stands out for me, a lot of great albums here though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 16:53
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:09
Goblin of this list. I could have vote for any though. Great list. I would add Olias of Sunhillow, Jon Anderson's first solo release.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:30
^ I like Olias too.

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Tough one. It's between Aqua, Profondo Rosso and Venusian Summer.

But like the other poll with Hackett, Lenny came out of a big band. And Tangerine Dream had just hit paydirt after four years with Phaedra.

I'll give this one to Profondo Rosso. Goblin immediately established themselves as a force, and as a band that almost exclusively composed music for film (which was more popular than their studio albums), they found a niche as unique as anything before it in rock.

Ah, now I get why Roller would be considered the first studio debut album. Interesting, I haven't differentiated between studio and soundtrack albums (some are considered both, I know). I meant to distinguish these from Lives, EPs etc. (for instance, Art Zoyd's first release is the "single" "Sangria / Something in Love" back in 1971). By the way, has any band's debut been a boxset? ;) Could be.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:53

I had thought you were one of the few fans of that album here.  In general though..  I do think it highly underrated and definitely unappreciated outside of a handful of us Greg. Same old story man...  lost in shadow of sh*t albums by 'popular' groups who by 1977 were about to crash and burn and become pop bands or just on creative autopilot...

I remember a newbie a while back called animal_laminate, which I guessed would be a Kew. Rhone fan. I do wish more people would explore beyond a select number of popular Prog names of the 70s that often were already passed their prime. I don't think there's been any bad Prog year (of the Prog years) as there are always gems of albums to discover for a multitude of Prog tastes. Anyway, think I'm just going to leave the poll as it is even if I do feel pretty stupid about forgetting that album.

Edited by Logan - February 19 2018 at 18:54
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 04:35
Strange to see Pierrot Lunaire actually in the lead ahead of all these masterworks. I really love Gudrun but think their self titled debut is pretty weak - its actually my least favorite album out of all the 25 poll-options.

-That Zanov-album is titled Green Ray btw. No idea what album to give my vote to. Its just far too many favorites here.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 05:15
Thanks, that was a silly error of mine as I adore Green Ray ('twas a great album to be turned on to, so thanks). I don't think anyone has taken advantage of the multiple-vote, but if I were to choose between four to listen to right now, it would be either Integrati... Disintegrati, Green Ray, Tussilago Fanfara, or A Meditation Mass. Hmm, no, I opted to play Regina Astris, but I should try to get back to sleep. As for Pierrot Lunaire, Gudrun is also my favourite, but I liked the self-titled considerably (as with a few albums here, I haven't listened to it much in years). I figured that National Health would easily get the most votes -- maybe it still will as this poll is still quite fresh.

Edited by Logan - February 20 2018 at 05:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>