Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAn ELP song vs a VDGG song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: pick the song you enjoy more...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [58.00%]
21 [42.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 08:44
hahahha.. now THAT is prog....  Beer
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 09:45
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

One of my favourite VDGG songs up against an OK or pleasant enough ELP song?
Easy!

^this Wink
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:03
Friede sometimes uses strong expressions; after living with her for 25 years now I am quite used to this. Wink

my vote would go to VdGG as well, but since Friede has already voted I can't vote anymore.

let me however say this: anyone who is not moved by Hammill's rendition of "House With No Door" has his judgement clouded by his prejudice (and that includes you, micky). this does not exclude the possibility of preferring the ELP song; I am merely speaking about disliking Hammill's rendition of this specific song. I think it is truly heartbreaking

Edited by BaldJean - March 04 2018 at 10:05

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:32
ahhh.. saw you posted Jean and thought I was going to get the Mick sandwich treatment from the both of you.  Would have been fun I suppose haha

Make no apologies for Friede...we love strong expression Jean...  we don't see enough it in teh forum these days... it gives a forum spice.. and passion. Something very missing from the site these days.

Oh of course I have my prejudices... I'm the forum king of them. So guilty as charged.  At least give me credit at least for them not being formed blindly out of ignorance of their music.  I think he sucks as vocalist and their music uninspiring and uninteresting.. but in all fairness I'm merely comparing them to the 100's.. 1000's of prog bands I know.  Not even counting the scores of bands and other types of music I enjoy.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:38
just listen to this song, micky. and then tell me you dislike it; I doubt you honestly can

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:43
Jean... granted it beens years we've seen each other kick around the forum.. you may not remember. I really enjoy that album.. but not for that song haha.  Musically I thought H to HE was their highpoint before they descended into Prog for prog's sake and completely lost me as I am NOT a prog fan.. only a lover of good music regardless of genre of which prog is only one of many.. and to be honest.. not even my favorite.  I just hang out here for the beer and chicks

And yes... vocally I thought this was his best album.. but again.. not for that song.. and sure as hell not in comparison to anything by Greg Lake haha
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:48
oh, I am not a prog fan either; there is so much prog I dislike and so much non-prog (including rock music, but also classical, jazz and ethnic music) that I love

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:54
bingo.. so you understand.. my dislike of VDGG in a general sense comes from a music lovers perspective.. not a prog fans one.  yes I get some of the love.. but I would expect that fans the group should understand that even among prog fans.. they can be divisive... let alone those who don't worship the alter of sh*t like that and don't think deeper, denser, and complex in place of good melody and songwriting makes for good music.

Some can do it...  Balletto di Bronzo being a perfect example which even though listening to it is akin to being beat over the head with a 2X4.. it is so enjoyable you come back begging for more.. with VDGG.. it just hurts the head man....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 10:59
or to really sum it up.. words of wisdom by the forum sage himself

there is nothing better than great prog.. there is nothing worse than bad prog. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

bingo.. so you understand.. my dislike of VDGG in a general sense comes from a music lovers perspective.. not a prog fans one.  yes I get some of the love.. but I would expect that fans the group should understand that even among prog fans.. they can be divisive... let alone those who don't worship the alter of sh*t like that and don't think deeper, denser, and complex in place of good melody and songwriting makes for good music.

Some can do it...  Balletto di Bronzo being a perfect example which even though listening to it is akin to being beat over the head with a 2X4.. it is so enjoyable you come back begging for more.. with VDGG.. it just hurts the head man....

VdGG certainly don't hurt my head. let's just agree to disagree about the music of VdGG. I am perfectly certain there is a lot of music you like which would in return hurt my head

Edited by BaldJean - March 04 2018 at 11:18

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:14
I voted for ELP. I've always loved that song. It's one of their best. But I'm an ELP fanboy.

That said, VdGG's is a fine song, too. VdGG certainly does not "suck." (:

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:39
In this pairing ELP...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 11:59
From the Beginning is good, A House with No Door is close to sublime.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 12:10
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

One of my favourite VDGG songs up against an OK or pleasant enough ELP song?
Easy!

^this Wink

Yep.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 21:31
This one is a bit difficult for me. I guess In The Beginning just by a bit.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2018 at 21:46
When is the Captcha thing going to be fixed!!! I just can't make a reply. As many times as I try to come back to the thread and paste the answer again it gets captchad again and then won't be posted. Just if the the reply chain is too long... and this time it wasn't even that long. Nevermind whatever I wanted to write about, though. As if we had the time to waste trying to make a single reply to something until Captcha finds it fit to let it go through... if at all.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

In this one, ELP.

will you ever explain a little what you choose in polls? 

I will...  in general.. ELP rules.. VDGG sucks

specifically.. Greg Lake is one of the greatest singers rock ever knew...  Hamill one of the worst prog ever knew.

what more is there to vote on...

Lake is nothing but a crooner; Hammill is the greatest singer in prog.

Lake a crooner? I wouldn't have thought it, but this characterization is spot on in a way Thumbs Up. I doubt if Hammill is the greatest singer in prog, but he is greater than some people think. It took me some years to find out.

I like both songs and I had to relisten them to make a choice, but I pick VdGG.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 13:38
I like both of these songs, but I really love House With No Door (I find it sad and poignant). I think it's the first VdGG song I heard.

I'm actually surprised to see that ELP song so far ahead in a Prog forum. House With No Door is a song that I would have thought many people who don't care for most VdGG might still enjoy. The ELP one is nice, but the VdGG one has more depth to my ears (and is more "progressive"/ adventurous and unique). The ELP one sounds very generic to my ears. If this were a pop rock forum then I would expect the easy-listening and pleasant ELP one to win quite easily (both tracks are pretty easy listening, at least for me, but...).

I do suspect that some people voted without knowing both songs. If you can't sing both out out loud from memory, then you don't know both well enough to vote imo (youtube can be a friend to refresh memories if needed).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 14:18
Now House with no Door is stunning, I prefer it to "From the Beginning" and I prefer it even much stronger to Refugees, see the other poll.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2018 at 17:19
VDGG
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>