Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sad prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:53
Originally posted by Blaqua Blaqua wrote:

Harmonium's Si on avait besoin d'une cinquième saison
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Si on Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison seems kind of cheerful to me. Maybe Histoire Sans Paroles can be kind of sad-ish but other than that there's nothing downy for me. Maybe it's because I can't understand French at all and the lyrics are sad?

Edited by Argos - April 03 2018 at 08:54
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 15:06
I don't think the whole album is sad or melancholy. The two long ones (autumn and the 5th season) feel sad, not the three shorter ones. The merry Dixie and the accordion in En pleine face may uplift the listener. Wistful is how I would describe the album's mood.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 15:08
Crime of the Century by Supertramp song If Everyone is Listening

Edited by Icarium - April 03 2018 at 15:09
Progaholic3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progaholic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 13:49
For the life of me I cannot imagine why you would be looking for music of this kind

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2018 at 22:02
^ Like Steven Wilson said, sad music makes him happy...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 01:24
Originally posted by Progaholic3 Progaholic3 wrote:

For the life of me I cannot imagine why you would be looking for music of this kind

If that's the case you might want to take your imagination in for a service. I don't think it's running properly.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 01:42
Maybe he's just into Moon Safari and the more lighthearted side of Yes?
Sad prog, at least to me, doesn't necessarily equate to modern day renditions of Droopy the dog, but can incorporate realism and hard to talk about subjects in a way that is infinitely more inviting than an hours worth of news on the same subject.
There is beauty in sadness. Sadness pertaining to music doesn't have to be covered in emo and 'priviliged white guys with the weight of the world on their shoulders' (sic), but can be subtle and evocative in a manner that speaks to me unlike any 'happy-sounding' music can.

That's why I love Penderecki's music for Hiroushima. Sadness to the absolute max...but heartwrenchingly beautiful.

A better known use of sadness in music that seemed to strike a chord with most people all over the western hemisphere is Clapton's Tears In Heaven.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 02:34
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 03:52
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

A better known use of sadness in music that seemed to strike a chord with most people all over the western hemisphere is Clapton's Tears In Heaven.

A song I can't bear, which goes to show how subjective all this is. I would never make light of the awful tragedy it came out of, but it just doesn't work for me.

Not that I'm immune to the allure of sadness in pop. There are songs I love that can reliably make me shed tears - notably Crowded House's Private Universe and Iron and Wine's Trapeze Swinger. The latter would be high on my personal list of candidates for greatest song in the whole genre of popular music (in which I include rock, prog and all the rest).

Edited by Mascodagama - April 29 2018 at 03:54
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 04:52
I'm the same way Simon, I just thought it'd make for a nice example of sadness in music that seems to go down well with many people. I applaud Clapton's courage though. In that way it certainly is a beautiful gesture, the song just doesn't float my boat is all.

Speaking of "pop releases" last year Phil Elverum aka Mount Eerie made an album in the wake of his wife passing. It was all the rave over on RYM and folks generally seem to love the 'no-holes-barred' approach to sorrow and the void. Personally I found the lyrics to be both beautiful and painful at the same time, but the magic of the music simply escapes me.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by Progaholic3 Progaholic3 wrote:

Because it makes me happy, I connect with it much more than happy music, which generally makes me angry or annoyed.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 07:19
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Or:

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 08:24
pretty much this whole album

and ANYTHING by Finnish group Tenhi

This is probably my fave by them

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 11:12
I am a blues guy. Minor songs achieve me always better than major.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 14:18

Great topic!  I've been putting together playlists for themed radio programs (If I ever get back on the air again) -- one I entitled "Beautiful Sadness", and so far it includes the following tracks:

Tears and Losing It - Rush
The Black Flame - Rennaissance
Epitaph - King Crimson
Red Dust Shadow - IQ
I Turned You Down - Riverside
The Raven That Refused to Sing and Routine - Steven Wilson (the videos for these really help capture the feeling of sadness/loss too)
House With No Door - Van Der Graaf Generator
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Rain - Uriah Heep
Deathless - Haken
Blood On the Rooftops and Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats - Genesis
Rhayader Alone/Fritha Alone/Epitaph - Camel
Bells for Her - Tori Amos

Was also thinking of adding Rudy from Supertramp

So there are certainly more out there, but these are the saddest (but quite beautiful) songs I could think of.

Edited by zwordser - May 08 2018 at 14:49
Z
malarauco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malarauco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 17:41
What about some Motorpsycho? In the sadness department I recommend Year Zero, Entropy and specially Lacuna/Sunrise:

"So please, come see me another day
There's nothing left here but a shell
Come dawn, come sunrise
I pawned my heart
And I gave the rest to shame
Dissolving slowly
In my own hell
Until I faded away"

Edited by malarauco - May 14 2018 at 18:00
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterblogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2018 at 17:38
The Rich Man and the Carpenter--Triumvirat

AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 02:02
Evergreen by Mostly Autumn
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 04:58
Pretty hard to beat Sylvan's Posthumous Silence for sad prog, dripping with sadness. The whole album is beautiful emotional sad prog.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 14:50
"Think Of Me With Kindness" by Gentle Giant
Brings me to tears every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>