Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern bands like Spirogyra or The Pentangle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 13:13
Came into my mind Finnish folkband Värttinä. It hasn´t got much to do with prog, but anyway I really have liked it, specially their 80-90 albums (their newer material has electro elements). Here´s one of their piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbrJNJknIf0&t=0s&list=PL5DF42146202E4A75&index=2
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 09:52
Although Blood Ceremony's "The Eldritch Dark" isn't in the same zip code as Spirogyra, I find the witchy, folkish female vocals, organ, and pagan flute sneaking into a secret Black Sabbath ceremony quite enjoyable. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 16 2018 at 10:06
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 06:07
Originally posted by starofsirius7 starofsirius7 wrote:

Are there any modern bands that do the psych folk male/female duo type thing? I don't really know what's out there. It seems like that type of music died off.

Doc mentioned them... I'll heartily endorse them.

Espers...  I LOVE that band..  and seemingly very much what you are looking for.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2018 at 01:42
If you are looking for the same quality of the bands you mentioned, yes, I think it died.

Definitely check Comus, if you still haven't heard them. And Jan Dukes De Grey. They are not modern, but essential.
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 23:38
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 23:29
Finnish new prog has lots of folk elements, although they´re not using that much acoustic instruments than before. Here´s one new band, Viima:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mZ37X2iWs

Also, if you´re not yet familiar with Comus that is old band, I highly recommend it to you! They´ve also made new album, Out Of the Coma in 2012.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 21:15
^I also like Circulus...psychy weird folk... though to me they aren't really that close to Spirogyra or Pentangle for that matter....who are more like Fairport Convention or Trees imho.
You might like Wolf People....but it has a dark prog folk edge to it.
I like Espers but again they have a moody psychy edge and not quite as playful as Spirogyra was.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 20:58
The closest I’ve come is the band CIRCULUS. They are modern, psych-folk with male and female vocals. I really enjoy The Lick At The Tip Of The Envelope. Beautiful cover-art too !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 15 2018 at 20:59
starofsirius7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starofsirius7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2018 at 13:25
Are there any modern bands that do the psych folk male/female duo type thing? I don't really know what's out there. It seems like that type of music died off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12