Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Dark Side of The Moon Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 04:52
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This is the first time that I've ever heard WYWH called DSotM part 2,  but I've come to realize, as in past posts, that you are in quite a mindset all your own on many topics. Mmm...perhaps reading some PA reviews on WYWH would change your views.
I think you should read some critics from 1975 from WYWH:
From Rolling Stone:
Shine on You Crazy Diamond is initially credible because it purports to confront the subject of Syd Barrett, the long and probably forever lost guiding light of the original Floyd. But the potential of the idea goes unrealised; they give such a matter-of-fact reading of the goddamn thing that they might as well be singing about Roger Waters's brother-in-law getting a parking ticket. This lackadaisical demeanor forces, among other things, a reevaluation of their relationship to all the space cadet orchestras they unconsciously sired. The one thing those bands have going for them, in their cacophonously inept way, is a sincere passion for their "art." And passion is everything of which Pink Floyd is devoid

From Melody Maker:
"From whichever direction one approaches Wish You Were Here, it still sounds unconvincing in its ponderous sincerity and displays a critical lack of imagination in all departments."

In Finland many reviewers of that time just said, how that album doesnīt bring anything new from Pink Floyd. Those were the times when Pink Floyd and others were started to call dinosaur bands. Also I know a Pink Floyd-fan, who thinks only Piper-Dark side is the only great Floyd-period, he doesnīt listen albums after that period.

I have my own opinions, but unless many others here, I have also read about Floyd. Really donīt want to read any reviews about WYWH about PA, some of the reviews in PA are quite miserable (specially some ones made recently from the old classics).

And one thing: I havenīt said theyīre absolutely same kind of albums. I have said they have a lots in common as sounds and as the main theme, but really one thing what WYWH lacks is that positive power thatīs in DSoTM.

Edited by Mortte - March 20 2018 at 04:58
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 05:00
Rolling Stone has not been kind to many bands over the years. 
I saw a video about 80s music and this RS writer was praising Madonna and said a band like Rush had no future. 

Also mainstream media has never been kind to prog. Some of the things they say are just... Dead
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 05:05
^In his 1973 review for Rolling Stone magazine, Loyd Grossman declared Dark Side "a fine album with a textural and conceptual richness that not only invites, but demands involvement"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 05:21
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

This is the first time that I've ever heard WYWH called DSotM part 2,  but I've come to realize, as in past posts, that you are in quite a mindset all your own on many topics. Mmm...perhaps reading some PA reviews on WYWH would change your views.
I think you should read some critics from 1975 from WYWH:
From Rolling Stone:
Shine on You Crazy Diamond is initially credible because it purports to confront the subject of Syd Barrett, the long and probably forever lost guiding light of the original Floyd. But the potential of the idea goes unrealised; they give such a matter-of-fact reading of the goddamn thing that they might as well be singing about Roger Waters's brother-in-law getting a parking ticket. This lackadaisical demeanor forces, among other things, a reevaluation of their relationship to all the space cadet orchestras they unconsciously sired. The one thing those bands have going for them, in their cacophonously inept way, is a sincere passion for their "art." And passion is everything of which Pink Floyd is devoid

From Melody Maker:
"From whichever direction one approaches Wish You Were Here, it still sounds unconvincing in its ponderous sincerity and displays a critical lack of imagination in all departments."

In Finland many reviewers of that time just said, how that album doesnīt bring anything new from Pink Floyd. Those were the times when Pink Floyd and others were started to call dinosaur bands. Also I know a Pink Floyd-fan, who thinks only Piper-Dark side is the only great Floyd-period, he doesnīt listen albums after that period.

I have my own opinions, but unless many others here, I have also read about Floyd. Really donīt want to read any reviews about WYWH about PA, some of the reviews in PA are quite miserable (specially some ones made recently from the old classics).

And one thing: I havenīt said theyīre absolutely same kind of albums. I have said they have a lots in common as sounds and as the main theme, but really one thing what WYWH lacks is that positive power thatīs in DSoTM.
Really? Read the opinions of pro punk, pro Bruce and anti Prog rags regarding WYWH?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 05:58
^Why that pro punk, Pro Bruce and Antiprog magazine then made a positive review from Dark side? Do you think Loyd Grossman was fired after his review? And you think in PA, where everyman can make reviews are automatically objective reviews, more objective that Music Magazineīs review of that time?

Yes, itīs true in 1975 common opinion started to turn against prog. But I think there was also reason, WYWH wasnīt of course the worst mainstream album of that time, but I think it was also one reason (Pink Floyd as a band that time) why punk became and I am not saying it was a bad thing.

Anyway if youīre not really understanding my points here (which I have doubt, it seems you are those internet persons who like to twist others opinions) I was just showing it wasnīt just my idea, that WYWH isnīt bettering from the Dark Side.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 07:11

^Why that pro punk, Pro Bruce and Antiprog magazine then made a positive review from Dark side? Do you think Loyd Grossman was fired after his review? And you think in PA, where everyman can make reviews are automatically objective reviews, more objective that Music Magazineīs review of that time?

Yes, itīs true in 1975 common opinion started to turn against prog. But I think there was also reason, WYWH wasnīt of course the worst mainstream album of that time, but I think it was also one reason (Pink Floyd as a band that time) why punk became and I am not saying it was a bad thing.

Anyway if youīre not really understanding my points here (which I have doubt, it seems you are those internet persons who like to twist others opinions) I was just showing it wasnīt just my idea, that WYWH isnīt bettering from the Dark Side.
And now WYWH is mainstream?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 07:36
^then what is it? If million selling album is not mainstream then?

This is useless:
- this wall is white
- no, itīs black!
- are you blind? Itīs of course white
- no itīs green
- aaaaarrgghhh...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 07:55

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 08:42
LOL Rof!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 08:46

^then what is it? If million selling album is not mainstream then?

This is useless:
- this wall is white
- no, itīs black!
- are you blind? Itīs of course white
- no itīs green
- aaaaarrgghhh...
Why of course WYWH is mainstream old chap! And bubble gum pop and AOR too! I see the light! Wacko

LOL

Edited by SteveG - March 20 2018 at 08:47
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:01
If anyone has ever experienced DSOTM while watching a laser show on a dome will never call it overrated! It's like any other masterpiece. Frequency and experience will dictate enjoyment level. Now if we want to get controversial, Nirvana's "Nevermind" is overrated. Not because it's not a good album but because it gets way too much credit for things achieved ten years earlier.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:11
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

DSOTM is special because, in addition to what many others have said (re gateway, sound quality, composition), I think many of us would not be who we are but for this album. For many of us (including myself) it was the album that opened up a world of possibilities for what could be done in music, and it came with a particular kind of political sensibility that few bands other than Floyd could really communicate, at least not as emotionally. 

While I agree that Close to the Edge and Selling England are on the same plane musically - i.e. equally musical - I think I still would have been the same person if one of those two albums didn't exist. But I might not have 'found music' if it weren't for DSOTM. 

But of course, I am not sure if the same is true for new listeners so many years on...
...um, you mean, if it weren't for the Lamb. We all have such different answers for that, don't we?

I love both Selling England and The Lamb. Really musical - musically even more original than DSOTM. Please don't get me wrong. However, I am not sure if there is a political message to The Lamb, or if there is then I am not sure that I understand it. (Perhaps someone could explain it to me?) 

My point was the DSOTM (and the albums Floyd made afterwards) has a very clear and direct political message that is integrated right into the music/concept in a very direct and emotional way - most can instantly 'get it', and many see it as revealing some underlying truth, and hence assign importance to it for this reason. I think this makes it special - both special as in rare, and special as in the reason it and other post-DSOTM albums are treasured so much. Of course, not everyone will love it and if one is turned off by the message, or not interested in the message, then it won't have the same emotional impact. But I think many who listen to it see the music and message as inseparable and are affected emotionally by it (and other post-DSOTM Floyd) in a way that is rare for other albums/bands, even really excellent musical ones.
I was responding to your statement about not being the same person and not finding music without it. The Lamb held that sort of sway for me. The lyrics, surreal or not, spoke to me emotionally. Others have taken other paths of course, some through DSotM. And it's quite good indeed. The essential question for me is why should it be regarded as superior to other Floyd albums?

Edited by HackettFan - March 20 2018 at 09:25
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:34
^ A good question from HF, as usual. I can only guess that aside from it's commercial breakthrough, DSotM established a type of PF musical formula and theatrical musings that extended over into their following albums.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 09:52
Originally posted by Frankh Frankh wrote:

The most important factor to take into consideration is the times this release went out into. What was taking place culturally then. Especially, but not confined to America.

I agree. Understanding the times when the release came out is crucial.  This album came out 15 years before Frenetic was even born, so it's not hard to understand why he fails to understand the impact of DSOTM on the music and cultural scene, as do those of us who lived thru it.

Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" came out 15 years (or a little more) before I was born.  Even though it sold over 100 million copies, I find it sappy, overly simplistic, over-played, and boring --  therefore, it is overrated.

"I don't like it; therefore, it is overrated." is not a valid statement.

Your personal opinion has no bearing on whether something is overrated or not.  It is just an opinion.  To be overrated, something must have been hyped and then failed to live up to those expectations or failed to perform in the view of the many (not the one).  DSOTM exceeded everyone's expectations (even the band's) and has performed for 45 years. It earned it's reputation, whether you like the album or not.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 10:37
^ Good points! As I've said before, at the time of it's release DSotM was the bomb. In retrospect, it's more like a gun shot.
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 11:05
If this hasn't already been said, just for the record, it's perfectly possible for an album to be overrated and still be a masterpiece. And i wouldn't take any notice of NME, who were cynical jerks and became unbearable once new wave arrived. As for Rolling Stone, every time Bob Dylan puts out an album of himself gargling they call it the best thing he's done since Highway 61.

Personally I think 'Dark Side' is clearly the best Floyd album. It would take forever to go through each album and try to analyse why, but I just think it's the album where they defined and perfected their sound in the same moment. Waters has more or less indicated that they may as well have broken up after it, and Gilmour even admitted he may have been right.

If there's one PF album which I do consider overrated it's definitely The Wall. Compared with the other three albums from their classic period, I find it for the most part realtively musically unadventurous and straightforward. Most of the songs just have a few chords, often with the figure of Waters' one-note bass-line rumbling or plodding through them, ala 'One of these days'. And the concept? I know that by the late 70's Roger literally wanted to spit in the audience's faces, but I find it hard to generalise his problems into something more broadly meaningful to me.

It's still a good album, IMO, but I don't understand why people rate it above Dark side.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 11:10
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I agree. Understanding the times when the release came out is crucial.  This album came out 15 years before Frenetic was even born, so it's not hard to understand why he fails to understand the impact of DSOTM on the music and cultural scene, as do those of us who lived thru it.

That's totally valid, and something I'm really making an honest effort in trying to empathize with. My only issue here is I wasn't around for all of those other amazing bands, either, and those records click with me like no other music. This is why I just think the album doesn't resonate with me personally. I'm definitely open to more analysis and re-listening!

Your personal opinion has no bearing on whether something is overrated or not.  It is just an opinion

Actually, yes it is a completely valid statement, especially on a discussion forum. 

Also, actually, yes, that's all it is. An opinion, just like your statement here. That's exactly why I made this thread, to get over hurdles/statements like this, and attempt to discuss the music itself beyond the romanticized cultural aspect.

To be overrated, something must have been hyped and then failed to live up to those expectations or failed to perform in the view of the many (not the one).  

DSOTM exceeded everyone's expectations (even the band's) and has performed for 45 years. It earned it's reputation, whether you like the album or not.

"Everyone's" expectations LOL

The fallacy of group consensus is something I've already tackled in previous posts. Most of you guys seem to be obsessed on basing the validity of the music here on sales and t-shirt sales. We're talking individual preferences and opinions on why the music is or is not worth that, in my and several other's views, overly-inflated reputation.

Plenty of people have provided great arguments from both sides of the fence in this thread, which is what my goal was. I wanted to hear more in-depth stances.

Your post was great up until that noise, and you made a great point that I'm 15 years out from DSoTM and that will obviously impact my views. That's a reasonable statement. But to claim I can't say something is overrated is laughable, mate. I'll gladly admit fault in my position but some of you guys sound nothing short of elitist in your reasoning here.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - March 20 2018 at 11:23

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 11:27

This album came out 15 years before Frenetic was even born, so it's not hard to understand why he fails to understand the impact of DSOTM on the music and cultural scene, as do those of us who lived thru it.
Age or "having lived through it" has nothing to do with understanding the musical (we can agree on the socio-cultural side) legacy  of an album. That's just a lazy excuse often used by people with weak critical thinking or poor knowledge of rock culture.

Your personal opinion has no bearing on whether something is overrated or not.  It is just an opinion.  To be overrated, something must have been hyped and then failed to live up to those expectations or failed to perform in the view of the many (not the one).  DSOTM exceeded everyone's expectations (even the band's) and has performed for 45 years. It earned it's reputation, whether you like the album or not.
Granted I didn't read the whole thread but I didn't see anyone making such a remark. I'm sure everyone on here agrees on how enjoyable and influential this record is (I, for one, admire the engineering and post-production techniques that make the album sound so neat and clear) but "Greatest Rock Album of All Time"? Not even Floyd's best as far as I'm concerned. 

I like the album dearly (wasn't the case a few years ago) but all those pretty facts you listed only reinforce the idea that the album is "overrated".

Edited by Larkstongue41 - March 20 2018 at 12:19
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

If this hasn't already been said, just for the record, it's perfectly possible for an album to be overrated and still be a masterpiece. And i wouldn't take any notice of NME, who were cynical jerks and became unbearable once new wave arrived. As for Rolling Stone, every time Bob Dylan puts out an album of himself gargling they call it the best thing he's done since Highway 61.

Personally I think 'Dark Side' is clearly the best Floyd album. It would take forever to go through each album and try to analyse why, but I just think it's the album where they defined and perfected their sound in the same moment. Waters has more or less indicated that they may as well have broken up after it, and Gilmour even admitted he may have been right.

If there's one PF album which I do consider overrated it's definitely The Wall. Compared with the other three albums from their classic period, I find it for the most part realtively musically unadventurous and straightforward. Most of the songs just have a few chords, often with the figure of Waters' one-note bass-line rumbling or plodding through them, ala 'One of these days'. And the concept? I know that by the late 70's Roger literally wanted to spit in the audience's faces, but I find it hard to generalise his problems into something more broadly meaningful to me.

It's still a good album, IMO, but I don't understand why people rate it above Dark side.
Best post in this thread! Clap
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2018 at 12:00
^ Agreed 100% Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>