Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Immediate Ruination of New Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 05:43
Some electro elements in new music are the kind of I don´t want to listen it again. Mostly it´s some kind of beat that really starts to irritate me, specially those "scratching" beats that seem to be quite common in new music.

Vocals are important to me, so my interest can go away when there is mediocre or too clean vocals, that is also quite common in new music.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 07:48
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Pedro likes coming on and making comments about what it means to be an artist. 

Except he doesn't play.

He writes, he directs, and films. He doesn't require a musician to tell him what is artistic or not. 

The rest is not worth discussing!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 08:01
^ And quite frankly, practicing an art has nothing to do with understanding/appreciating art. It might give you a better understanding of the technical aspects of the said art form and enhance your appreciation and understanding as a result but nothing more.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 12:40
I've lately commented a very similar situation ( there...)

So what happened ?... During 32 seconds there's some spicy harmony coming from church bell rich sound, not quite in tune (but that's makes it exciting) and the rythm section... I was in soundscape, contemplation-please-do-not-disturb mode, expecting some more drama and tension. Then all of a sudden there's a guy singing, the rythm section is the same but everything becomes "correct" and less mysterious. I guess the 32 first seconds are called awkward, just enough for the sung part to be felt as a deliverance "Ah they nail it, they're in control".

So it's really a matter of how we connect to each other...

Edited by jayem - August 03 2018 at 05:53
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 20:55
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Cookie Monster Vocals.  Can't stand 'em.  The rest of the work has to be stellar for me to overlook them.

Aye.  Same here. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 01:56
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Sterilized production.

indeed...

And 80's aesthetics and production values (gated drums, cheap synths, etc...) and 00's remaster conditions (loudness wars). I like my rock (and prog and jazz) to be somewhat dirty (as opposed to pristine production)

Whiny neo-prog/Hogarth styled vocals are also a big turn-off
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 05:28
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Sterilized production.

indeed...

And 80's aesthetics and production values (gated drums, cheap synths, etc...) and 00's remaster conditions (loudness wars). I like my rock (and prog and jazz) to be somewhat dirty (as opposed to pristine production)

Agree wholeheartedly. There are rock albums containing much fine music that I find almost impossible to listen to all the way through because of the wanton overuse of compression which only serves to suck the life and dynamics out of otherwise admirable playing. Can't name too many examples from Prog but one case in point: The Construcktion of Light by King Crimson

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 29 2018 at 05:29
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 07:42
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

I've lately commented a very similar situation ( there...)

So what happened ?... During 32 seconds there's some spicy harmony coming from church bell rich sound, not quite in tune (but that's makes it exciting) and the rythm section... I was in soundscape, contemplation-please-do-not-disturb mode, expecting some more dram and tension. Then all of a sudden there's a guy singing, the rythm section is the same but everything becomes "correct" and less mysterious. I guess the 32 first seconds are called awkward, just enough for the sung part to be felt as a deliverance "Ah they nail it, they're in control".

So it's really a matter of how we connect to each other...

I listened to that piece, and had the same reaction.  Immediate ruination at the 32 sec mark!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 09:39
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Sterilized production.

indeed...

Agree wholeheartedly. There are rock albums containing much fine music that I find almost impossible to listen to all the way through because of the wanton overuse of compression which only serves to suck the life and dynamics out of otherwise admirable playing. Can't name too many examples from Prog but one case in point:The Construcktion of Light by King Crimson

Right on. I tend to enjoy "warm" sounding recordings. I'm getting better at mixing and running my own stuff for my projects, and it creates a whole new level of appreciation/disdain for certain records.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 10:41
I wonder if more prog artists burped or farted in the middle of a song, would that cause an immediate ruination? I think I'd laugh and enjoy it more.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 12:07
It hasn't happened to me yet.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 16:21
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

For me,
it's the appearance of gratuitous, mediocre vocals. 

You mean like those of Area? You are correct, sir.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2018 at 22:14
I always try to appreciate a song for what it is, or what it might have been. Composition is what I dig.
A lot of new prog bands don't have the $ to get the perfect sound. But, you can still appreciate the attempt. It's easy to criticize, but people who give it a go are to be commended. There is much beauty to be found in home brewed prog.
Progaholic3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progaholic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 05:32
Often a stirring and melodic instrumental opening is followed by the blandest verse-chorus song, as if nobody will notice compositional inability if it's done in style.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 11:01

I listened to that piece, and had the same reaction.  Immediate ruination at the 32 sec mark!

Maybe this is due to such a coincidental meeting of unorthodox minds, that it defies all probability laws  ...BUT some hints in the thread suggest it could also be that a whole roaring crowd might one day hold a protest and demand a major editing !!

Edited by jayem - March 31 2018 at 06:26
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 11:56
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

For me,

You could apply a lot of adjectives to Demetrio Stratos' vocals, and obviously nobody is obliged to like them, but “mediocre”? Not hardly.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 30 2018 at 11:56
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 06:04
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

For me,

You could apply a lot of adjectives to Demetrio Stratos' vocals, and obviously nobody is obliged to like them, but “mediocre”? Not hardly.

Agreed, like someone who can't swim describing the Mediterranean Sea as 'moist'Ermm

Edited by ExittheLemming - March 31 2018 at 06:07
progoma View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 07:23
Interesting topic. I agree that vocals can make or break a song/band for me. Also the use of humor and general silliness can be really off-putting to me. I think this is the reason I can't fully enjoy some of Genesis. But as others have mentioned above, it's just a subjective thing. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 11:48
'Immediate ruination of new music'...?
I'm not sure what that even means, but I will agree that vocals can 'ruin' the accessibility of a new band for me. This is one of the reasons why I have always had trouble with VDGG. I recall first listening to their albums in college (Pawn Hearts and then later Godbluff...)but not liking the vocals by Hammill.
While I have come to accept his vocals on most of their tracks...vocals in general can really bother me if they seem annoying.
I'm far less picky about production or recording values if the music is good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2018 at 12:59
There are no singer or guitarist that can ruin a music for me. Only composers and lyricists.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>