Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?
    Posted: March 22 2018 at 16:59
Some great threads and discussion have been taking place lately, with lots of cool insights, views, and experiences coming together. 

This has lead me to wonder: what do you personally look for in progressive rock/progressive music in general?

For me personally:
  • I love sweeping, grand, symphonic synth and moog sections (intro to Watcher of The Skies, Wakeman's CTTE Solo, etc)
  • I enjoy complex time signatures/odd meters and shifts done well (Apocalypse in 9/8 for example, pretty much 95% of Gentle Giant's output, etc)
  • I love lyrical themes dealing with psychology (Gentle Giant comes to mind here)
  • I love smooth, smoky 70's production, but also really really enjoy the crisp new age sound of 80's records like Genesis Duke, Yes 90125, etc.
I'm sure I'll come up with many more as this thread progresses. What are your thoughts and prog preferences? Discuss!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:39
I was first drawn to prog rock because it is one of the only commercial music genre that has a heavy emphasis on melody (most genres relying more on rhythm or harmony). It was all new to me and opened up a whole new musical world. I continued to delve further because some artists who fit under the progressive rock label have a knack for experimentation and made some of the most exciting and game-changing innovations to ever happen in rock music.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 18:44
Mind stimulating music, a great listening experience, a  great and fun time, not only with prog, but with all music I like.
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 20:47
All that is not in most other music, the clear intention of an artistic expression. Great musicianship, bombastic explosions of melodies and arrangements, no time constrictions, epic stories and inner self exploration. And long virtuoso solos.
Long live Progresive music!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 21:05
The main characteristics of the music I like are:

Complexity, variety, experimentation/exploration of sound, 'fullness' (a lot of sound/sounds), and percussive/rhythmically inclined 

From a prog angle, I look for all those things in a rock context. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 23:10
I look for... uh... music? If you are always looking for something very specific, aren't you limiting yourself? Aren't you being intolerant of trying to find new, interesting, refreshing music? And then suddenly genres become extremely important and you become extremely sensitive to anything that goes beyond a certain genre or a certain criteria that you seek in music. Which to me means to be narrow-minded musicwise.

Edited by Junges - March 22 2018 at 23:12
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 01:44
Something that doesn't sound quite like anything I've heard before.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 02:06
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

The main characteristics of the music I like are:

Complexity, variety, experimentation/exploration of sound, 'fullness' (a lot of sound/sounds), and percussive/rhythmically inclined 

From a prog angle, I look for all those things in a rock context. 

Right on! What are your thoughts on the term "Art Rock" as a reference to progressive music?

Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

All that is not in most other music, the clear intention of an artistic expression. Great musicianship, bombastic explosions of melodies and arrangements, no time constrictions, epic stories and inner self exploration. And long virtuoso solos.

Well said!

Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

I look for... uh... music? If you are always looking for something very specific, aren't you limiting yourself? Aren't you being intolerant of trying to find new, interesting, refreshing music? And then suddenly genres become extremely important and you become extremely sensitive to anything that goes beyond a certain genre or a certain criteria that you seek in music. Which to me means to be narrow-minded musicwise.

Not at all dude; I think you misinterpret my position.

It has nothing to do with genres and everything to do with what you enjoy about the bands that happen to fall under the label progressive rock. I don't let genres decide what I like. What I happen to like MOSTLY just happens to fall in the progressive rock category. If anything, progressive rock is the least-limiting "genre" IMHO.

I don't go around saying "This band would be better at prog if they were symphonic instead of ROI" or something like that. That's where it gets asinine. That's also not what I'm talking about at all.

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 02:23
Music has been passion to me for early years. In the very beginning exciting sounds has excited me (really remember, when opening voices in Creedences Run Through the Jungle sounds so fascinating). To me it was quite natural progression, when bands like Creedence, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin, Doors, Deep Purple & even Jimi Hendrix couldn´t anymore offer me enough musical excitements to start listen bands like Pink Floyd, Rush, Kansas, Wigwam, Genesis & Yes.

I think the most I like in prog are mysterious, great melodies and those early seventies prog sounds. Also I have liked quite long different rhythms, 4/4 never been enough to me.

I have always searched from music something otherly world, strange and also holy.

Edited by Mortte - March 23 2018 at 02:26
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 02:27
Great thread Frenetic!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 04:23
I think this is another "why do you like prog?" thread, but its been awhile so here's my two cents: music that has qualities that the Average Joe just doesn't get and never will! An elitist attitude for sure, but there it is. Tongue
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 04:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think this is another "why do you like prog?" thread, but its been awhile so here's my two cents: music that has qualities that the Average Joe just doesn't get and never will! An elitist attitude for sure, but there it is. Tongue

Well, that’s exactly what it is   

I love your explanation here, btw

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 04:30
What do I look for? Something that appeals to me Big smile

I do tend to be drawn more to odd time signatures, longer pieces, and frequent changes of pace.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 05:15
I don´t really ever wanted to separate from the group `cause my music taste. I think my life would have been easier in school, if I had listened same as others (other boys listened Mötley Crue & Twisted Sister, while I like Jimi Hendrix, you can imagine what rasist comments I had). It´s just music has always been so big thing to me what it isn´t to most of the people.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 05:38
Songs about wizards, goblins and snow dogs.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 05:59
I like Classical Music, I like thrash metal.......thus in between that bread is the filling of progressive rock , jazz and progressive metal - YUM YUM
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's quite true that the Average Joe doesn't get progressive rock. But I guess that what makes this an elitist attitude is the view that popularity isn't a measure of quality. Wink

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:16
Music listening has a transcendent potential. And progressive rock in its widest, most inclusive interpretation covers a lot of the music that takes my mind elsewhere. Complexity or lack thereof isn't really the point. Both Henry Cow and Tangerine Dream may both do the trick.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 09:34
Hi,

Nothing in particular, other than a relationships between the instruments that just shakes your insides totally inside out and makes you just love it to pieces.

Since this can be done in Harlem, with a plastic bucket and a stick, there is no requirement in the arts that it must have ... those would fit into my "personal favorites" category, but appreciating MUSIC is not a category for me, and thus a "preference" for this and that, will only PREVENT you from finding new music elsewhere.
It's best to have no expectations, so you can be surprised.

This, was one of the reasons why "Different Every Time", the book on Robert Wyatt, is the best biography/autobiography of all of them ... it has everything you can think of, and you learn quickly it is not about likes and dislikes ... it's about something else that you can not exactly define, but your every day minute helps you find it.

I, personally, always thought the best moment in it was about Syd Barrett. And it was bypassed and ignored, because musicians will really freak, if they had to put up with it. Someone was trying to play with Syd, and they asked what key he was in. The reply is ... Syd doesn't know any keys, he just plays!

And you don't get it?

It's about something that is not what we expect, know, or understand ... the finding of something totally new and how to use it. Has less to do with "music" than it does my "preferences" ... and us asking, is actually very scary for me ... are we simply trying to tell each other that this is the only music I can hear?

And what's weird for me, is that this is posted in a "progressive" board where it is a given that DIFFERENCES is one of the most important parts of it. Just weird for my mind, that we do not get it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Some great threads and discussion have been taking place lately, with lots of cool insights, views, and experiences coming together. 

This has lead me to wonder: what do you personally look for in progressive rock/progressive music in general?

For me personally:
  • I love sweeping, grand, symphonic synth and moog sections (intro to Watcher of The Skies, Wakeman's CTTE Solo, etc)
  • I enjoy complex time signatures/odd meters and shifts done well (Apocalypse in 9/8 for example, pretty much 95% of Gentle Giant's output, etc)
  • I love lyrical themes dealing with psychology (Gentle Giant comes to mind here)
  • I love smooth, smoky 70's production, but also really really enjoy the crisp new age sound of 80's records like Genesis Duke, Yes 90125, etc.
I'm sure I'll come up with many more as this thread progresses. What are your thoughts and prog preferences? Discuss!

So, do you listen the the album "The Art of Madness" by The Psychedelic Ensemble?  It might scratch your itch...

Me, I like depth, complexity, lots of layers or music woven nicely together... masterful composition!  Vocals have to be exceptional, and performed like they're another instrument with the band. Virtuoso musicianship is definitely a requirement for me.  Odd time signature? Maybe, if they establish an interesting counterpoint to the piece.  And "energy"... I love it when the music has energy (even though I'm not exactly sure what that means!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>