Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:55
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Some great threads and discussion have been taking place lately, with lots of cool insights, views, and experiences coming together. 

This has lead me to wonder: what do you personally look for in progressive rock/progressive music in general?

For me personally:
  • I love sweeping, grand, symphonic synth and moog sections (intro to Watcher of The Skies, Wakeman's CTTE Solo, etc)
  • I enjoy complex time signatures/odd meters and shifts done well (Apocalypse in 9/8 for example, pretty much 95% of Gentle Giant's output, etc)
  • I love lyrical themes dealing with psychology (Gentle Giant comes to mind here)
  • I love smooth, smoky 70's production, but also really really enjoy the crisp new age sound of 80's records like Genesis Duke, Yes 90125, etc.
I'm sure I'll come up with many more as this thread progresses. What are your thoughts and prog preferences? Discuss!

So, do you listen the the album "The Art of Madness" by The Psychedelic Ensemble?  It might scratch your itch...

Me, I like depth, complexity, lots of layers or music woven nicely together... masterful composition!  Vocals have to be exceptional, and performed like they're another instrument with the band. Virtuoso musicianship is definitely a requirement for me.  Odd time signature? Maybe, if they establish an interesting counterpoint to the piece.  And "energy"... I love it when the music has energy (even though I'm not exactly sure what that means!)

Awesome, I will definitely check that album out then!

I also enjoy really, really avante garde stuff, such as Beefheart Trout Mask Replica and Gorguts Obscura.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 12:11
What I go looking for in Prog is instrumentation and feeling. Not just virtuoso stuff without a single shred of emotion. I like to be swept away in the music so these two are definitely my 2 top requirements. Also lesser necessities include epic/profound lyricism and vocals that go hand in hand with them.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 15:01
I like music that grabs me at an emotional level. Even if an album doesn't grab me on the first listen, there might be something that tells me to give the album another listen. However, this doesn't really say anything meaningful. And it can be difficult for someone to predict if I'll like a given piece of music. Nevertheless, I do tend to like music that is energetic and with a tendency towards minor and other exotic chords. When I was a young teenager, I was into heavy metal/hard rock, especially the music of Black Sabbath. Although I moved away from heavy metal as I got older, I did retain a taste for music that is heavy-ish, though I'm not particularly a fan of progressive metal. Sometimes, a track can appeal to me because it has an amazing "groove". Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 6 - 9 has an example of such a groove. Another example is Air Blower from Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 15:11
Impossible for me to state. I would last the whole day 😂😂
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 16:28
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

The main characteristics of the music I like are:

Complexity, variety, experimentation/exploration of sound, 'fullness' (a lot of sound/sounds), and percussive/rhythmically inclined 

From a prog angle, I look for all those things in a rock context. 

Right on! What are your thoughts on the term "Art Rock" as a reference to progressive music?

Eh. To me 'art rock' is sophisticated pop/rock (like ELO, Bowie, or APP) that really isn't progressive musically speaking but adds a certain (dare I say?) pretentiousness to the proceedings compared to 'normal' pop/rock of whatever era we are discussing (although I seems art rock is mainly a term used to describe 60s/70s bands). That said, I understand the history/evolution of the term (at least anecdotally), meaning that art rock was the predominate term being used at the time these things were starting to happen, whereas prog-rock seems to be introduced later (how much later being a product of where you are in the world). 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 17:06
I opened a thread similar to this at one time a few years ago.

I like the following in the following order:
experimentation with timbre (most important to me)
improvisation
a variety of instrumentation provided it includes lots of guitar
interesting arrangements
lots of room for things to develop
musical pieces that end different from how they began
intricacy and movement (a sense that there is some upper limit to static droning sounds monopolizing my time)
variety and recombination of genres (least important to me)

Edited by HackettFan - March 25 2018 at 09:09
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2018 at 23:58
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I like music that grabs me at an emotional level. Even if an album doesn't grab me on the first listen, there might be something that tells me to give the album another listen. However, this doesn't really say anything meaningful. And it can be difficult for someone to predict if I'll like a given piece of music. Nevertheless, I do tend to like music that is energetic and with a tendency towards minor and other exotic chords. When I was a young teenager, I was into heavy metal/hard rock, especially the music of Black Sabbath. Although I moved away from heavy metal as I got older, I did retain a taste for music that is heavy-ish, though I'm not particularly a fan of progressive metal. Sometimes, a track can appeal to me because it has an amazing "groove". Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts 6 - 9 has an example of such a groove. Another example is Air Blower from Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow.

Thumbs Up I think really same way! As heavy metal, I am old school man with Zeppelin, Sabbath, Heep & Motörhead, but anyway Metallica, Sepultura & Stone hits me too. Progmetal - only Opeth. Sabbath was also to me one of the first musics I´ve ever heard (my brother had Master of Reality & Vol.4 in cassette).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 04:56
I was attracted to prog because its possible to not have a lead guitarist. Heavy Rock in the seventies bored the pants off me. I also like the percussive nature of prog. So many great drummers. I also like abstract lyrics and I'm not being at all ironic, but I do like pseudo religious/philosophical stuff and there is plenty of that prog. Straight ahead down to earth 'real' music just bores me and I would also be lying to pretend I have a great interest in classical music. Most of what I know about that genre comes from prog and electronic music. I would much rather listen to ELP or Tomita doing Pictures at an Exhibition than any of the myriad orchestral versions!
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 05:17
In my case, my passion for  progressive music is due the possibility of to find a countless number of musical styles in a single track ! Besides this the opportunity of listen great arrangements, lyrics and virtuous musicians !
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 06:37
Nothing more than in Jazz, Soul or classical... Just music.
DarrowshireDed View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrowshireDed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 07:04
I don't care for pretentious lyrics or anything like that, I just want to hear all these different sounds coming together in a melodic way. But that describes music in general, I guess just good music.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2018 at 08:02
Keyboards are one of the biggest factors in me being into prog but certainly not the only thing.

I guess for me personally prog serves as a form of escape. You can't really "escape" with three minute pop songs. Regular verse chorus songs are great but they ubiquitous.  Prog is sort of like music from another dimension and universe. It's maybe not nearly as secretive as it once was but it's still not mainstream so I'd say there's still a bit of mystery about it and that's also part of the appeal.

Also, I think I like prog largely because of the instrumental sections and not so much for the lyrics although there are some notable exceptions(Rush, echolyn and early Marillion come to mind as well as VDGG and Peter Hammill). It is during these instrumental sections that you go ona  journey where you don't know it's going to lead you.

Also, I like the exotic sounds and incorporation of unusual instrumentation or at least instrumentationthat is not common to most "normal" rock or pop music.

axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 22:48
When I was a kid, I was a mainly a Sci-fi fan. I found myself tending to like grand sounds and songs that made me feel like I could see whole alien panoramas in them. Thus, I first gravitated to rock "soundscapes". Even though I love hard-hitting guitar, keyboards were kind of the transportation device. 

Once I started listening to that type of music, I started liking the complexity, layers of sound, repeating motifs--that were more than just "a hook"--and recognizing variations on themes. To the point that discernible complexity seems to be the keynote of music that I like--but way back when I started it was Sci-fi. 

Edited by axeman - March 26 2018 at 08:23
-John
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 02:14
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Keyboards are one of the biggest factors in me being into prog but certainly not the only thing.

I guess for me personally prog serves as a form of escape. You can't really "escape" with three minute pop songs. Regular verse chorus songs are great but they ubiquitous.  Prog is sort of like music from another dimension and universe. It's maybe not nearly as secretive as it once was but it's still not mainstream so I'd say there's still a bit of mystery about it and that's also part of the appeal.

Also, I think I like prog largely because of the instrumental sections and not so much for the lyrics although there are some notable exceptions(Rush, echolyn and early Marillion come to mind as well as VDGG and Peter Hammill). It is during these instrumental sections that you go ona  journey where you don't know it's going to lead you.

Also, I like the exotic sounds and incorporation of unusual instrumentation or at least instrumentationthat is not common to most "normal" rock or pop music.

AWESOME post man, especially the bold part! Clap

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 04:38
^ What? In the modern world, you can just program your source for replay. Btw, I can 'escape' with 3 minute songs as long as an album has many of them!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:01
To me also all the music is way to escape the ordinary day, no matter is the lenght of the song 45 seconds or 45 minutes.
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ What? In the modern world, you can just program your source for replay. Btw, I can 'escape' with 3 minute songs as long as an album has many of them!
You can kind of escape, but a 3 minute song doesn't really have the time and pace to build up that "feeling" of escape like say a 23 min track like Echoes, Song of Scheherazade, Histoire Sans Paroles.
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:07
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

You can kind of escape, but a 3 minute song doesn't really have the time and pace to build up that "feeling" of escape like say a 23 min track like Echoes, Song of Scheherazade, Histoire Sans Paroles.
Really? Have you ever heard "Two Headed Dog" by Roky Erickson? You'll need 23 minutes to recover from it.

Edited by SteveG - March 26 2018 at 08:07
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:38
^LOL.....or Trout Mask Replica songs....you'll need 23 hours  to recover.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:55

Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

Really? Have you ever heard "Two Headed Dog" by Roky Erickson? You'll need 23 minutes to recover from it.

There's absolutely a difference between looping the same 3 minute song over and over 5 times, and listening to one 15 min epic that builds. Good for you being able to enjoy that loop. I don't.

I second the Trout Mask Replica comment, though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>