Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Homely Poll

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do you particularly like any of these? If so, please pick one.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [7.32%]
3 [7.32%]
13 [31.71%]
6 [14.63%]
5 [12.20%]
0 [0.00%]
11 [26.83%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 10:41
^^ Yep, love the Hatfield.

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

A Louse is Not a Home for me. Perhaps my favorite VdGG-epic (that's not technically a VdGG-song but still). An early example of Peter Hammills matured lyricism with a lot more sophisticated imagery than just a few years prior. Perfect in every thinkable way.

Other half related home-related favorites:

Gil Scott Heron - Home is Where the Hatred is 
Wim Mertens - At Home/Not At Home (especially the latter)
Kraftwerk - Home Computer
Roxy Music - In Every Dream Home A Heartache
Yusef Lateef - Back Home

-my absolute favorite is I Can Never Go Home Anymore by The Shangri Las though.

Listening to The Shangri Las "I Can Never Go Home Anymore" right now and just loving it, and I love Gil Scott Heron. Now listening to Wim Mertens "Not at Home" and loving that too. Thanks for mentioning this, and you gave me my first "Doh, how could I miss that?" moment with Kraftwerk's Home Computer.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 10:52
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

One of my favorite 'Home' songs.......love the whole album.
Cant Find My Way Home- Blindfaith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLeZvv1EhYo

That post snuck in while I was composing my post and listening to music in Saperlipopette!'s list. That link didn't work for me but looked it up on youtube, but then I had another "duh, moment" as I know that song really well. It's been a staple of classic rock radio for ages. I like it too. I should give the whole album a listen, pretty sure I've heard the album, but not in a very, very long time.

Edited by Logan - March 25 2018 at 10:54
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 10:55
I like the Peter Hammill, Hatfield, and Cardiacs all quite a lot. Went for Cardiacs because they had the fewest votes.

Some from my library:
Speaking of Cardiacs, one of the best solo tracks from the irreplaceable William D Drake:
William D Drake: Homesweet Homestead Hideaway

A haunting closing track from one of my favorite modern bands (and favorite bands generally!), Jack o' the Clock:
Jack o' the Clock: Rehearsing The Long Walk Home

I discovered this one a bit more recently but have been really enjoying it:
Moetar: Never Home

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was hoping to see votes, or at least mentions, for the U Totem and Spirogyra (I know those bands have had quite a few fans at the forum over the years). "At Home in the World" was an immediate standout track for me with St Radigunds, and while the lengthy opener of U Totem's debut "One Nail Draws Another" tend to get the most attention from the album, I enjoy the lengthy closer "Vagabonds Home" at least as much. Spirogyra's St Radigunds was one of the first acid folk albums I got, and that U Totem was one of my first "modern" prog acquisitions that I loved.

Listening to the U Totem track right now, sounds great. The avant portion of my listen-to bookmarks folder is starting to get a little out of hand, though.

Edited by Zugzwang - March 25 2018 at 11:30
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:35

Listening to The Shangri Las "I Can Never Go Home Anymore" right now and just loving it, and I love Gil Scott Heron. Now listening to Wim Mertens "Not at Home" and loving that too. Thanks for mentioning this, and you gave me my first "Doh, how could I miss that?" moment with Kraftwerk's Home Computer.

Yeah, good catch. I forgot about that one!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:54
^ Yeah, an unexpected oversight for electrobuffs.

Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

I like the Peter Hammill, Hatfield, and Cardiacs all quite a lot. Went for Cardiacs because they had the fewest votes.

Some from my library:
Speaking of Cardiacs, one of the best solo tracks from the irreplaceable William D Drake:
William D Drake: Homesweet Homestead Hideaway

A haunting closing track from one of my favorite modern bands (and favorite bands generally!), Jack o' the Clock:
Jack o' the Clock: Rehearsing The Long Walk Home

I discovered this one a bit more recently but have been really enjoying it:
Moetar: Never Home

I was hoping to see votes, or at least mentions,
for the U Totem and Spirogyra (I know those bands have had quite a few
fans at the forum over the years). "At Home in the World" was an
immediate standout track for me with St Radigunds, and while the lengthy
opener of U Totem's debut "One Nail Draws Another" tend to get the most
attention from the album, I enjoy the lengthy closer "Vagabonds Home"
at least as much. Spirogyra's St Radigunds was one of the first acid
folk albums I got, and that U Totem was one of my first "modern" prog
acquisitions that I loved.

Listening to the U Totem track right now, sounds great. The avant portion of my listen-to bookmarks folder is starting to get a little out of hand, though.

Great post! Thank you. Really glad to hear someone checked out the U Totem. Here's the bandcamp page again in case anyone missed it. https://cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/u-totem

Love that William D Drake, I've been meaning to get that album. I'm also really enjoying the Jack o' the Clock, and Moetar sounds really good too (that Moetar isn't working for me, but found the album, From These Small Seeds). This topic has turned out much better than I anticipated in terms of my personal discoveries thanks to people here.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 11:57
Monsieur Hammill.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 12:31
Home by the Sea.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Zugzwang View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 13:54

Love that William D Drake, I've been meaning to get that album. I'm also really enjoying the Jack o' the Clock, and Moetar sounds really good too (that Moetar isn't working for me, but found the album, From These Small Seeds). This topic has turned out much better than I anticipated in terms of my personal discoveries thanks to people here.

I think having an arbitrary filter like "favorite songs with home in the title" forces people to find little corners of their collection that don't fit into the average "best of x" discussion. If you just ask people for their favorite albums, or best albums of a particular style, or best albums of a particular decade, you're going to end up hearing pretty much the same stuff over and over. Randomly selecting a smaller portion of songs brings out a bit more diversity.

Regarding William D Drake and Jack o' the Clock, both of them have their full discography on bandcamp (Here and here, respectively). The Rising of the Lights is my favorite of Drake's but Briny Hooves and Revere Reach are great as well. I love all three of the last Jack o' the Clock releases, I think I'd probably recommend Repetitions of the Old City - I as a starting point. There's some good live videos for both bands here and here, if you enjoy that sort of thing (Hopefully I got all the hyperlinking right this time LOL).

Edited by Zugzwang - March 25 2018 at 13:58
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 14:00

awesome Greg... I absolutely adore that William D Drake song... pure f**king gold.

Iif not familiar with his albums.. you really should check them out. I love them
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2018 at 15:06
A few that came to mind.....
She's Leaving Home- The Beatles
Homeward Bound -Simon and Garfunkel
Sweet Home Alabama-Lynyrd Skynyrd
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:45
Going with Supertramp for this one, with Genesis a very close second.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 08:17
^^^ Micky, I have one William D Drake album and have heard other songs, but yeah, this music sounds awesome to me and I will pick up more. Really glad I did this topic -- led to great music.

Originally posted by Zugzwang Zugzwang wrote:

I think having an arbitrary filter like "favorite songs with home in the title" forces people to find little corners of their collection that don't fit into the average "best of x" discussion. If you just ask people for their favorite albums, or best albums of a particular style, or best albums of a particular decade, you're going to end up hearing pretty much the same stuff over and over. Randomly selecting a smaller portion of songs brings out a bit more diversity.

Regarding William D Drake and Jack o' the Clock, both of them have their full discography on bandcamp (Here and here, respectively). The Rising of the Lights is my favorite of Drake's but Briny Hooves and Revere Reach are great as well. I love all three of the last Jack o' the Clock releases, I think I'd probably recommend Repetitions of the Old City - I as a starting point. There's some good live videos for both bands here and here, if you enjoy that sort of thing (Hopefully I got all the hyperlinking right this time LOL).

Agree, and thanks very much, I will check those out.

Choosing songs in this way too can get me to listen to music that I haven't heard in a long time, as well as having some surprising discoveries from others (and dealing with my own surprise for missing things that seem obvious in retrospect).

As a rambling side-note on arbitrariness which might seem a bit random itself (I just woke up), some have said something like, "I don't listen to songs, I listen to whole albums as the almighty prime mover intended, and those who do not are philistines", but I have found the arbitrariness of listening to my iPod and shuffle to be a wonderful experience. Because I have hundreds of albums on it, has brought up music that I might not have paid much attention to and also provided a new context for it in how its framed. The juxtaposition of hearing songs in a particular random order can give me renewed appreciation and a new experience (a song/ music can sound different to me depending upon what came before it, and what comes after). That is part of the argument against shuffling, that one should listen to tracks in the order that they were "meant" to be listened to by the producers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12