Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A 10-yr old reviews ELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 10-yr old reviews ELP
    Posted: April 03 2018 at 06:14
Daniel Bukszpan of "The Z-Review" asked his 10 year old son to review the eponymous Emerson Lake and Palmer album.  Here are the hilarious results... (the full article can be found here: https://thezreview.com/2018/04/02/my-10-year-old-reviews-prog-rock-records-emerson-lake-palmer/).

TZR: What does this music remind you of?

RB: It reminds me of how boring My Dinner With André was.

TZR: What do you think about the fact that this band was once as popular as Taylor Swift is today?

RB: When you say that, I think that’s a lie, but it’s not, so that’s just crazy. How were they even popular? That’s crazy. How were they popular? It’s horrible. That music is horrible.

TZR: If you had to give this album a name, what would it be?

RB: Our Songs Are Bad and We’re Terrible at Singing, or Crappy Songs Galore.

TZR: Would you be interested in learning how to play this music?

RB: No, because it’s completely crappy and no one should ever listen to it.

TZR: If you were on a desert island with this record and nothing else, what would you do?

RB: I would probably throw it into the ocean and pee all over it. That’s how much I hate it.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 06:18
Shame it's not 1976. The kid would have got a job at the NME, no problem.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 03 2018 at 06:18
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 06:34
Fortunately, it's not music for a 10 year old jerk - never has been, never will be.
lostrom
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 06:49
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

Fortunately, it's not music for a 10 year old jerk - never has been, never will be.

Seriously, you're losing your sense of humour over a kid's review?
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 07:49
You should have asked me when I was 10; I would have answered "It's quite cool, but ELP are very mainstream. Can I play you some Henry Cow or Faust"?

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 07:57
It was meant to be humorous. 

And for the record, I don't agree with the youngster's review.  I like most of the album, except for "Take a Pebble".  Maybe the lad thought the title was "Take a Piddle"?
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

You should have asked me when I was 10; I would have answered "It's quite cool, but ELP are very mainstream. Can I play you some Henry Cow or Faust"?

When you were 10, you'd have to review an album that was release 48 years prior, which is what the kid was asked to do.  Dunno about you, but that would be asking me to review an album from 1928!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:08
Let me see: That would be 1939, so maybe an Otto Klemperer recording with the Philadelphia Orchestra. I must admit I would have to be counted out there.

But not Jean; she listened to this kind of stuff since she was 6 and started playing piano. She might have told you: "The conductor is taking the tempo way too slow". Of course I am talking about a radio performance here; Klemperer was not recorded before 1959.

Edited by BaldFriede - April 03 2018 at 08:16

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:37
We're surrounded by f**king geniuses!
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

It was meant to be humorous. 

And for the record, I don't agree with the youngster's review.  I like most of the album, except for "Take a Pebble".  Maybe the lad thought the title was "Take a Piddle"?
Take a Pebble is my favourite of that album. I just absolutely love what Emerson does with the piano and organ all over the track. Quite the opposite tastes we have. 
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:45
At 10 years old I don't even remember if I listened to any music, let alone prog. At least the little fellow knows his own preferences.
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:50
His comments are explicit and quite funny. The lad cannot be blamed for undergoing a bad upbringing.
This is what is dad writes about the album:

"My personal opinion is that it’s nearly unlistenable, and I cannot believe that anyone can sit 
through all 41 minutes of it in a row without the aid of hard drugs."

LOL

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 08:51
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I just happen to have perfect pitch. It is a rare gift, but you don't need to be a genius for that.

Edited by BaldJean - April 03 2018 at 08:52

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:02
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:19
The kid makes sense. I never cared for ELP's debut and Lucky Man always put me to sleep. Dead
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:29
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

More and more, what you are seeing and reading is some form of history by folks that "were there", which is a bit different than the silly/bad comments by a 10 yr old, which, of course, was an April Fools' jokes that is as funny as a brick hitting you in the head and falling off into the deep ocean! Hooray for SNL and some really bad/stupid jokes that are not even funny! Surrealistic maybe, but not funny! 

Unfortunately, that was likely written by someone that really has no knowledge whatsoever about music, and has never sat down and played it in the first place. Besides, they are brain-washed by that pulsing rap beating, to even know what music is really all about ... I would probably lock up my kid listening to 10 different things 3 times a day for 10 days ... and if at the end of that they still say the stupid things they did, then I will reconsider! But, I doubt it ... I've seen this done, even with autistic kids (UCSB study in the 80's), and the results were totally different than we thought, considered, or even projected ... the joke was on us! 

I do not, write about my ideas, since they would drive some folks totally nuts here, specially with my experience in improvisation, that too many musicians dislike, but I have had success with them in music before, and hopefully will again. In theater/film it's not an issue, since most actors are always looking for that little bit "extra" to add to their characters, and thus something like an improvisation could help loosen up some bits and pieces and ends.

Music, however, in the time of the DAW, has gotten so rigid, and so many folks tied up to its cardboard perfection, that they do not understand or care to find out what another side, or point of view is all about.

Tongue  You see, in my book, it's about brain-washing for the good of the great commercial top ten in the sky, so they get the sale and you pay for it. The rest, prog or bunnyhop, will always be considered bad, trash, and made fun of in a lot of articles. Maybe it's time people start making fun of TS and KP, or KK ... and see what happens ... we would be interfering with their millions collection, just like someone else trumped up others!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:30
In all fairness, when I was his age I thought The Wall was a pretty boring album except for that We Don't Need No Education song. I would've rather listened to Eminem or Good Charlotte.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:45
This is hilarious, lmao.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 10:44
The kid's review is OK to read, not the peak of fun but somewhere in there. I certainly don't mind it. I like that album but there's nothing wrong with a reasonably musically interested 10-years-old speaking his mind - surely nobody has to like it and I'm fine with him saying in some strong words that he doesn't.

What I really don't like about it is that the guy who wrote the article obviously uses his son to tell his own opinion, trying to make it look more innocent and probably even truer. For an adult music critic that's really poor. He doesn't have to love the album but apparently doesn't have more to say about it than his son. Which shows that he is in the wrong job really.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 11:29
It does sound like a lame April Fools joke...and if not then him and his kid are effing idiots....but then opinions are like a****les....everyone has one.

;)

Edited by dr wu23 - April 04 2018 at 10:15
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>