Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedjethro tull (aqualung)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 12:40
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Aqualung is a classic album for me and second only to Thick as a Brick (and around equal to Songs From the Wood most of the time). While the more famous tracks attracted me first (for good reason - they are great songs), the rest of the album grew on me and present a unity to the album (even though I know it isn't a complete concept album despite its recurring themes). Always liked Mother Goose a lot - never played live as much as it could have been.

Anyway, going to see Ian Anderson deliver his 50th Anniversary show tonight and I am intrigued by the set list he apparently played at the last concert:

This Was: My Sunday Feeling/A Song for Jeffrey/Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You/Dharma for One
Stand Up: A New Day Yesterday/Bouree
Benefit: With You There To Help Me
Living in the Past: Love Story/Living in the Past/The Witch's Promise
Aqualung: My God/Cross-Eyed Mary/Aqualung/Locomotive Breath
Thick as a Brick: Thick as a Brick Extract
A Passion Play: A Passion Play Extract
Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die: Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll, Too Young to Die
Songs From the Wood: Songs From the Wood/Ring Out, Solstice Bells
Heavy Horses: Heavy Horses
Crest of a Knave: Farm on the Freeway

Looks a good vintage set, with a surprising amount from the earlier albums (less proggy, more blues and acoustic?) Interesting to see the albums getting skipped, especially the more recent ones. I hope the old vocal chords hold up for him, as it should be a nostalgic night for many of us.
I saw them in the nineties (I think it was their 25th celebration year) and they played then first songs from their three first albums in the beginning of the concert. I thought then, would they continue that the whole concert, but not. Anyway they played lots of old great songs!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 13:26
The last time I saw Tull was the 'Roots to Branches' tour (1996?) and it was ok. They had a new lp to push and they played it in entirety plus only 3 old tracks, the last of which was 'Aqualung'. I respected them for doing that rather than a 'greatest hits' but it was a very short set.

If I remember right IA said he had really only just got into writing with an acoustic guitar as accompaniment and so had created a wealth of more 'folky' acoustic songs, many of which ended up on Aqualung and the 'Life is a long song' EP.. He also credited Roy Harper as an influence and inspiration (both having a Lytham St Annes connection) on his song writing of that time (listen to Stormcock or Lifemask or any Harper lp) and returned the favour by playing flute on the studio version of Roy Harpers 'Home' on the 'Flashes from the archives of oblivion' live lp. He later said RH was an insane Crazy Ba***rd or some such thing.. 

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 17:05
An enjoyable concert all told, but feels like the end of the road for me seeing Ian perform Jethro Tull material. He really is struggling with both the notes and the pace of the lyrics. Half the time you are willing him to make the vocal in time and it's quite exhausting to watch! With the 50th anniversary I wanted to see him one more time and then put that to rest and continue enjoying the albums and the new live material the remasters seem to be unearthing.

Think I followed them from about 1973, although it was the Stormwatch tour I saw them first live - at the end of their golden period (although the A tour and subsequent ones remained fun) - I would have loved to have seen them in the early to mid 70s - as I know many on the forum did.

No Dark Ages tonight, Barbu!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2018 at 22:56
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

My biggest Tull favourite after Thick as a Brick.

Life is a long song, Up the Pool, for later were released few months later among with Dr. Bogenbroom (my really big favourite) and Nursie as Life´s a long Song e.p. Also those extras mentioned are all in the "Living In the Past" -compilation.

Most or all were written before or during Aqualung though. Up the pool, Just trying to be were mid 1970. Bogenbroom is cool too although the drums seem to sound a bit quiet. It's one of my faves but the recording quality doesn't seem as good as others. A double album worth of unrepeated tracks. Maybe a couple of tracks written after the Aqualung stuff. What date was the album released? Wind up early version and My God quad are better versions than originals imo.

Aqualung was released 19 March 1971, Life´s a Long Song 3 September 1971 and Living in the Past 23 June 1972, about three months after Thick as a Brick. Those extras probably has also "Lick Your Fingers Clean?" It didn´t make it´s way to the album because the dirty lyrics. It is in the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box, but they remake it into War Child as Two Fingers.

I checked my Aqualung remix and it says Life is a long song was released early May 71. I didn't include it on my altered album. I added Up the pool, Just trying to be, Wondring again and For later. The first 3 were from mid-late 1970. Not sure when For later was written though. Maybe they could have released the album 5 weeks later to add that one lol
Now I found clear information about my original "Living in the Past"-vinyl from the recording dates (didn´t look enough carefully yesterday). Just Trying to Be & Wond`Ring Again - recorded at Morgan Studio, London in June 1970. Locomotive Breath (only song from Aqualung) recorded at Island Studios, London in December 1970. Life´s a long song e.p. (including songs Life´s a long song, Up the ´pool, Dr. Bogenbroom, For Later & Nursie) recorded at Sound Techniques, London in May 1971. Release date of Life´s a long Song e.p is 17 september 1971 also in discogs, so I believe there are mistakes in your Aqualung remix album (have noticed there has been those in new releases).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 02:19

Life is a long song, Up the Pool, for later were released few months later among with Dr. Bogenbroom (my really big favourite) and Nursie as Life´s a long Song e.p. Also those extras mentioned are all in the "Living In the Past" -compilation.

Most or all were written before or during Aqualung though. Up the pool, Just trying to be were mid 1970. Bogenbroom is cool too although the drums seem to sound a bit quiet. It's one of my faves but the recording quality doesn't seem as good as others. A double album worth of unrepeated tracks. Maybe a couple of tracks written after the Aqualung stuff. What date was the album released? Wind up early version and My God quad are better versions than originals imo.

Aqualung was released 19 March 1971, Life´s a Long Song 3 September 1971 and Living in the Past 23 June 1972, about three months after Thick as a Brick. Those extras probably has also "Lick Your Fingers Clean?" It didn´t make it´s way to the album because the dirty lyrics. It is in the 20 Years of Jethro Tull box, but they remake it into War Child as Two Fingers.

I checked my Aqualung remix and it says Life is a long song was released early May 71. I didn't include it on my altered album. I added Up the pool, Just trying to be, Wondring again and For later. The first 3 were from mid-late 1970. Not sure when For later was written though. Maybe they could have released the album 5 weeks later to add that one lol

Now I found clear information about my original "Living in the Past"-vinyl from the recording dates (didn´t look enough carefully yesterday). Just Trying to Be & Wond`Ring Again - recorded at Morgan Studio, London in June 1970. Locomotive Breath (only song from Aqualung) recorded at Island Studios, London in December 1970. Life´s a long song e.p. (including songs Life´s a long song, Up the ´pool, Dr. Bogenbroom, For Later & Nursie) recorded at Sound Techniques, London in May 1971. Release date of Life´s a long Song e.p is 17 september 1971 also in discogs, so I believe there are mistakes in your Aqualung remix album (have noticed there has been those in new releases).

Up the pool was first done in 70. Check the early version . They just recorded it properly the next year. Bogenbroom, life and For later may have been written in 1970 too. Who knows but there’s no early versions to prove that. Surprised that quality stuff like up the pool and just trying to be couldn’t make the album though. But Tull did that every year . More so in the soundtrack years of 74 and 76

Edited by dr prog - April 06 2018 at 03:44
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 06:46

Up the pool was first done in 70. Check the early version . They just recorded it properly the next year. Bogenbroom, life and For later may have been written in 1970 too. Who knows but there’s no early versions to prove that. Surprised that quality stuff like up the pool and just trying to be couldn’t make the album though. But Tull did that every year . More so in the soundtrack years of 74 and 76
Ok, didn´t know they made earlier version of it. Yes, Ian Anderson had very high criteria what he released and what not then, good examples are the parts of original a Passion Play (the Chateau D`Isaster Tapes, there are three very great pieces in 20 Years of Jethro Tull-box that are not in the final a Passion Play at all).
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2018 at 14:51

Ok, didn´t know they made earlier version of it. Yes, Ian Anderson had very high criteria what he released and what not then, good examples are the parts of original a Passion Play (the Chateau D`Isaster Tapes, there are three very great pieces in 20 Years of Jethro Tull-box that are not in the final a Passion Play at all).

Every album has songs that were left off that were better than ones that were included. I’d say an average of 3 songs per album. Although some were singles. Half the chateau tracks are used on the album so I don’t really consider them as additional compositions but there are some other cool tracks they could have used on the album.
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 00:23

Every album has songs that were left off that were better than ones that were included. I’d say an average of 3 songs per album. Although some were singles. Half the chateau tracks are used on the album so I don’t really consider them as additional compositions but there are some other cool tracks they could have used on the album.
Well, I disagree that. Albums between Stand Up-Minstreal In the Gallery and Songs From the Wood-Stormwatch are just so great, I wouldn´t ever change anything in them. Maybe they could have used some leftovers in Too Old to R´n`R, but maybe they just couldn´t fit in to it. Also, they really used some leftovers, for example that Lick Your Fingers become Two Fingers, Skating Away was originally in a Passion Play. And as you said, released many great songs in singles and e.p:s.

And about those leftovers from Passion play, have you heard these, I think they´re absolutely one of the best pieces from Jethro Tull and was unreleased until that 20 years box:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzYdz4Ofaxo
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 16:27

Well, I disagree that. Albums between Stand Up-Minstreal In the Gallery and Songs From the Wood-Stormwatch are just so great, I wouldn´t ever change anything in them. Maybe they could have used some leftovers in Too Old to R´n`R, but maybe they just couldn´t fit in to it. Also, they really used some leftovers, for example that Lick Your Fingers become Two Fingers, Skating Away was originally in a Passion Play. And as you said, released many great songs in singles and e.p:s.

And about those leftovers from Passion play, have you heard these, I think they´re absolutely one of the best pieces from Jethro Tull and was unreleased until that 20 years box:

I replaced at least half of Warchild with outtakes lol. The outtakes sound like real Tull to me. More grunt and prog. Good godmother, Glory row, March the mad scientist easily over the happy pop Tull songs Bungle, fingers and hoorah. Similar with Strip cartoon, Commercial traveller, Small cigar orchestral and Salamander ragtime over Quiz kid, Big Dipper, Taxi grab, Bad eyed. . Surprised you didn’t mention Horses and Stormwatch too. I love Summerday sands. Best song on Minstrel imo. I’d replace it with Valhalla which is pretty repetitive. Teacher, witches promise, Living in the past, Sweet dream would have made Stand up and Benefit alot better too. They are the band 69 and 70 classics after all.

Edited by dr prog - April 07 2018 at 16:46
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2018 at 23:06

I replaced at least half of Warchild with outtakes lol. The outtakes sound like real Tull to me. More grunt and prog. Good godmother, Glory row, March the mad scientist easily over the happy pop Tull songs Bungle, fingers and hoorah. Similar with Strip cartoon, Commercial traveller, Small cigar orchestral and Salamander ragtime over Quiz kid, Big Dipper, Taxi grab, Bad eyed. . Surprised you didn’t mention Horses and Stormwatch too. I love Summerday sands. Best song on Minstrel imo. I’d replace it with Valhalla which is pretty repetitive. Teacher, witches promise, Living in the past, Sweet dream would have made Stand up and Benefit alot better too. They are the band 69 and 70 classics after all.
Quess, you didn´t know Teacher is Us-Canadian version of Benefit? But there isn´t Alive and Well and Living in, which is one of my biggest Jethro favourites. No, I won´t change anything from those excellent Jethro Albums, not also from War Child. And I mentioned Songs From the Wood-Stormwatch -period, all sixties-seventies Jethro albums except Too old is my big Jehtro favourites.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12