Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One-man Bands?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 11:31
Captured! By Robots
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:12
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

I have to say I don't like programmed drums, regardless of the genre. Even in the electronica genre, I would prefer to have no drums than to have programmed drums. Even Tangerine Dream is, I think, best when there is no drumming going on. 

I am in awe of excellent drumming. Would love to hear ideas for checking out new awesome drummers (outside the obvious ones that we all already know, of course).

I saw a documentary of heavy metal, and most drums were programmed in the studio. At least back then. When you carefully listen you can recognize it. There are still a lot of metalbands that rely on programmed drums in the studio. When a cd-booklet says the band uses a drummer, they mostly mean they use a drummer on tour.

And nowadays drums are tweaked in DAW's (like protools), to make them sound perfect or sloppy (whatever the producer wants).
So not everything you hear on record are actual live-drums.

Same goes for old-fashioned guitar and organ-sounds. They are mostly made using plug-ins. Even Tomas Bodin (with his oldfashioned sound) declared it.

On the other hand, programming drums can be very hard. It can take months and months to create a good beat. While sitting at the drumstool and just play is much easier.

And I know what I'm talking about, I'm a drummer and I tried my hand at programming. It's so difficult and frustrating.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 12:59

I have to say I don't like programmed drums, regardless of the genre. Even in the electronica genre, I would prefer to have no drums than to have programmed drums. Even Tangerine Dream is, I think, best when there is no drumming going on. 

Let mathematicians reckon the probability for listeners who can't enjoy programmed drums,  to consider V-drums as possibly (at least) not spoiling a piece.

Edited by jayem - April 30 2018 at 15:59
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 13:00
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

I am in awe of excellent drumming. Would love to hear ideas for checking out new awesome drummers (outside the obvious ones that we all already know, of course).

I saw a documentary of heavy metal, and most drums were programmed in the studio. At least back then. When you carefully listen you can recognize it. There are still a lot of metalbands that rely on programmed drums in the studio. When a cd-booklet says the band uses a drummer, they mostly mean they use a drummer on tour.

And nowadays drums are tweaked in DAW's (like protools), to make them sound perfect or sloppy (whatever the producer wants).
So not everything you hear on record are actual live-drums.

Same goes for old-fashioned guitar and organ-sounds. They are mostly made using plug-ins. Even Tomas Bodin (with his oldfashioned sound) declared it.

On the other hand, programming drums can be very hard. It can take months and months to create a good beat. While sitting at the drumstool and just play is much easier.

And I know what I'm talking about, I'm a drummer and I tried my hand at programming. It's so difficult and frustrating.

I somewhat agree with both of you.  I, too, am (or was) a drummer.  And I've used a DAW (Cakewalk) to program drum patterns.  It was tedious work, and I hated how robotic it sounded.  But, with a lot of effort, and some signal-processing prowess on my part to put a narrow-band random variation on the beats, it could sound OK.  But still, I just ended up wishing I could sit down and play it on my drumset (which I no longer have).

So kudos to those musicians who can program realistic sounding drums.  I can still discern them, but its getting increasingly harder.  Maybe it's just my advanced age...  Sigh...

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 16:32
Music has become more and more dehumanized, with machines doing more and more of the work... Auto-tune, "drum machines", computer programs, etc... You can say the same about movies - the writing and acting stinks.

The ones you usually fight this argument the most are those who'd quit playing an instrument after 30 minutes of trying. Or the "You just like the music cuz you were young" (I'm 35).
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 16:38
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Music has become more and more dehumanized, with machines doing more and more of the work... Auto-tune, "drum machines", computer programs, etc... You can say the same about movies - the writing and acting stinks.

The ones you usually fight this argument the most are those who'd quit playing an instrument after 30 minutes of trying. Or the "You just like the music cuz you were young" (I'm 35).
Stevie Wonder didn't use a "drum machine".

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 17:47
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Exactly --- talent.. 40 yrs ago, it was a requirement.. And I know that video is over 40 yrs old.... Decadence.

Edited by MortSahlFan - April 30 2018 at 17:50
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 13:14

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Exactly --- talent.. 40 yrs ago, it was a requirement.. And I know that video is over 40 yrs old.... Decadence.

This technically medium level solo was wonderfully nailed with all the smoking hot adrenaline and showmanship. Nice !!

The fact every project the music industry would have refused to produce has become feasible doesn't mean the percentage of talented people has decreased. As for movies there always has been a lot of prods for mere entertainment and nothing else...

It's because of machines that we have DAW, but thanks to them we can use the Net to get precious tutorials by World Class teachers that make it very exciting to learn new instrums. 

DAW is a great asset to discover new musical worlds, transcript free jams, arrange compositions. It is an art in itself, one can make it a social experiment into exchanging ideas and parts very easily. I dont miss arranging a piece in front of a screen instead of paper. It doesn't prevent from laying ideas on music paper or playing with real instrums if felt best to do so...

Either we tune ourselves up to current magic or we don't, but from my experience, in DAW is HEAVEN !!

Edited by jayem - May 01 2018 at 13:16
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 19:03
one man band
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 19:36
Prince (Rogers Nelson)

Yves Potin.

The Psychedelic Ensemble.

Brian Ellis.

The Arborist (Carson Schnackenberg). 

Plini.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 21:24
Oops, we forgot Robert Fripp and his SoundScapes project!!  

How embarrassing!  Ermm
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 00:45
Nine Inch Nails (crossover) is pretty much just Trent Reznor with a handful of guests on every album.

Panic! at the Disco is not a prog band, and they were originally a quartet (and later a duo, and then a trio), but on their last album and on their upcoming album everything but horns and strings is Brendon Urie.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 01:58
Luc Lemay is essentially a one-man band. That guy IS Gorguts, regardless of who he has on tour with him. Chuck was kind of the same thing with Death.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
vivoactive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivoactive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 07:37
I am a huge fan of a guy called Nikolas Golas and his "band" Zero Absolu. Well, I kind of dislike his vocals, but his instrumentals are sort of great. 

Also Terra Tenebrosa, which is considered a full band, but it has a mastermind who does almost... anything. His real name is... definitely unknown haha.

Someone mentioned Death and Chuck Schuldiner earlier in this thread. Well, if considered an one-man band, since Chuck is the mastermind, it is also a favourite of mine. You see my profile picture :) 
Here is a favourite:

philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:04
Mutiny in Jonestown is the only one I can really think of (besides Brendon Urie masquerading as Panic at the Disco).
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 08:39
Robert Berry is a massively talented individual. I was amazed to find he had play everything on the recent album The Rules Have Changed including a very passable go at styling the keyboards like Keith Emerson . He really does sound like him!
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2019 at 02:11
Pretty sure I fit in this category.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234