Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubblegum Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 10:26
Presume bubblegum refers to sickly sweet pink goo...reckon not even the toughest error correction system could play a cd covered in it...😎

Edited by M27Barney - January 31 2020 at 10:27
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

The Sweet had an interesting history.  Started out bubblegum ("Little Willy" is actually a favorite of mine) and then went to hard rock ("Ballroom Blitz", "Action"), then went to a mixture of both in the end, but some people consider some of their later music prog-lite ("Love is Like Oxygen").  If someone says bubblegum prog, then this is the band I would think of in their later years. 

They were the first band I ever liked and I still enjoy a lot of things they did. Early years were dominated by being the 'front' for the production team of Chinn and Chapman but later they were able to break out. It was often commented that their records sold on the B-Sides and not on the A-Sides. I have the picture sleeve for the 45inch Ballroom Blitz and the b-side was the killer track Rock and Roll Disgrace. In my view a massively underappreciated band who had way more talent than many more vaunted rock acts of the time but booze and drugs pretty much did for them. I saw them play live in 1980 (without Brian Connolly) and they were a real state. Looked paunchy and displayed as much arrogance as I've ever experienced from a band. Shame really.

Edited by richardh - February 01 2020 at 00:40
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 02:28
^ Aye the sweet were the first band I liked as a kid. Fox on the run, first single I bought...
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 04:55
Has anybody said transatlantic yet? Cause that’s the corniest most drawn out prog I’ve ever had the disservice of hearing.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 04:59
I don't know what bubblegum prog is and based on what bubblegum pop is - "is a genre of music with an upbeat sound contrived and marketed to appeal to pre-teens and teenagers" according to wikipedia - I don't think it exists. Confused

But if people will call bubblegum prog whatever they dislike or find cheesy, I don't know... it's not the same thing.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 16:33
1. Barclay James Harvest 2.ELO 3. Kansas
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2020 at 21:43
^ doubt if that will happen because this is a progressive ROCK site. Some progressive pop has seeped in thru prog related and some crossover so there are many examples of prog pop already here: Asia, Kate Bush, 10CC etc. I love the first two Tears For Fears albums. "Working Hour" is definitely prog but one or two songs isn't enough to get them through these pearly gates :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 02:42
Kate Bush's song Kite I think is a sound OP might be interested in.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 06:44
Bubblegum prog...

Can you imagine the members of Gentle Giant singing/playing Sugar Sugar by The Archies?

Lol. 

My point is, I don't think I've ever known of bubblegum (pop?) to cross streams with prog. And frankly I don't want to know about that kind of beast.

Edited by Spacegod87 - May 13 2020 at 06:46
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2020 at 07:27
some songs on 10cc debute is and one of the core members of 10cc Graham Gouldman is one of the best bubbelgum song writers of the 60s with "No Milk Today"
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 04:21
Sendelica - Spaceman Bubblegum And Other Weird Tales From The Mercury Mind Music. xD Yes, you guessed it. I just typed bubblegum in the PA search bar. I had no idea bubblegum music genre was even a thing. I'm too young perhaps. But I think that to be frank the closest thing to bubblegum prog IMO would be Supersister - The Girl Named You.
EDIT: Yeah! I just remembered! Ache (Denmark). Of course!

Now that definitely has some of that sweet bubblegum sound.

Edited by Hrychu - May 21 2020 at 04:25
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 06:50
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

10cc too.

Hi,

10CC fits the bill, but they were more satirical than they were just doing pop songs, even if they came off like that. I never thought of things like "I'm Not in Love" as a pop song, specially bubble gum in the vein of yummy yummy I got poop in my tummy!

I kinda miss the stuff from RUBBER BULLETS ... party in the county jail, after another English band, what the bullets are really about ... you know ... the kinda stuff that would not go well in bubblegum stuff ... mom would get upset you know, specially if she knew what the name meant!

And, sadly, Mandy was not walking around in a bikini with polka dots! Tongue

I suppose that sooner or later someone will say that Stackridge/Korgis also fits here, but I would think there is a fine line here in artistry and just trying to get attention!

Edited by moshkito - May 21 2020 at 06:54
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2020 at 19:09
Totally forgot Stackridge. Good band, definitely closer to the sound OP might be looking for. Marzo Plod, Syracuse the Elephant, Fundamentally Yours, all good tracks. Very Beatles-esque.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456