Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Gentle Giant record?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Gentle Giant record?
    Posted: May 07 2018 at 13:14
I think these dudes are super underrated, and while I'm not a *huge* fan and still consider myself fairly new to their catalog, I'd be curious what the passers-by of this forum think.

Out of the classic era stuff that I've listened to, Octopus is my favorite. I'm literally listening to Free Hand for the first time right now though and I'm pretty damn impressed. It was hard to get by that tacky album cover though for a long time.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 13:19
This thread popped up some time ago: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112821

Edited by Larkstongue41 - May 07 2018 at 13:20
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 13:49
The first two, after that they lost the magic touch I really like on those ones.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 15:45
All the earlier ones are great but my favorite is probably Octopus.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 17:03
In a Glass House.

Gentle Giant is second only to YES for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 18:43
We've been down this road before, but it's 'Glass House.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 19:35
^Yes indeed and the pavement is getting a bit worn......;)
....but as Dellinger said I also prefer the first two...I think they were less quirky ,less affected ,and more accessible.
The later albums were often arty and self conscious  for the sake of being clever ,though there are great tracks all over the place.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 00:04
'Acquiring the Taste' is probably my favourite at present, but all the earlier ones have their charm.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 01:54
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Yes indeed and the pavement is getting a bit worn......;)
....but as Dellinger said I also prefer the first two...I think they were less quirky ,less affected ,and more accessible.
The later albums were often arty and self conscious  for the sake of being clever ,though there are great tracks all over the place.

I've found that in later GG albums, the magic is really in the arrangements versus the lyrical themes and vocal magic (like earlier albums). "Give it Back" is one of the best GG songs ever, and it came out in '76.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 02:55
Underrated?

Anyway: my personal faves: Free Hand, In a Glass House, Debut, Civilian, Interview
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 05:49
One of the few bands where I like every studio album they made. Octopus is my favorite.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 06:54
the debut giant 1st record
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 07:15
It's cool that the responses are so varied. They did put out a lot of good records...
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:44
Stay away from Giant For a Day, The Missing Piece (except Memories of Old Days) and Civilian. You can't go wrong then.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:55
Sometimes Three Friends, sometimes Octopus.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 18:25
I actually like all of their albums. If I would rate them I would say the top tier is Playing The Fool/ATT/TPATG/IAGH/1/Three Friends/Interview 3rd tier would be Civilian/TMP/ FH/GFAD. Like someone said, all the albums have at least a handful of keepers.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 18:39
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

One of the few bands where I like every studio album they made..

Same here. Really hard to pick a favorite but if pressed I'd probably have to go with In a Glass House. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 19:48
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

Stay away from Giant For a Day, The Missing Piece (except Memories of Old Days) and Civilian. You can't go wrong then.

I actually quite like "civilian." It's hard rock and not prog but I think it's better than the other two you mentioned. Out of those The Missing Piece is recommended for collectors and big fans of Gentle Giant only and GFAD only for completionists who have to have every studio album.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crimsonsnowdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 13:42
In a Glass House is my favorite, followed closely by Octopus.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 13:53
^I finally got around to listening to In a Glass House this weekend. It was a good soundtrack to playing Battlefield 1 with my friend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>