Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Did prog musicians develop new playing techniques?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did prog musicians develop new playing techniques?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did prog musicians develop new playing techniques?
    Posted: May 13 2018 at 06:00
In the field of guitar, keyboard, flute, saxophone etc. playing, did prog instrumentalists/composers develop brand new techniques that were not discovered or used in classical/rock/jazz music before them?

I'm wondering because I get the feeling that "prog solos" have a unique sound to them. It's one of the trademarks of the genre. When I hear a certain type of keyboard solos, I feel that this is something only found in the prog genre, and not classical music, and not psychedelic rock music that used the same keyboards/MellotronsClap/Moogs.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 06:51
I'm not sure they did. They built upon what was already there and added techniques and styles often found outside of rock/prog.
Keyboard solos are basically just guitar solos performed on keys.

That's not to say that prog solos aren't wonderful, they truly are and some even give me goosebumps. I'm just a little tired of these threads that wish to applaud prog and tell the world how good the music is....by, ever so cunningly, trying to lift the genre above other genres. The first part is cool and basically why I'm here. The last bit is the 'better than thou' syndrome that I hate with a vengeance.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 07:44
Steve Hackett invented tapping.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 08:44
Pretty sure Django Reinhardt got there first. It was just before it got a name
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 08:51
He might have been the first to use it in a prog rock setting...but apparently other guitarists as early as 1965 were doing it even on acoustic guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7M8L1rAUsI

Edited by dr wu23 - May 13 2018 at 08:53
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 08:54
Speaking of new ideas and guitarists....what about Frippertronics by Fripp...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 08:57
Let's not forget that Rick Wakeman was the first man to simultaneously play a Hammond B3 and an ARP string synth whilst eating a chicken vindaloo at the same time.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 08:59
What the OP is talking about has more to do with the explosion of new instruments, mainly synths, that brought about the new and alien sounding music. New instruments bring about new sounds - even if the technique is 50 years old.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:03
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Let's not forget that Rick Wakeman was the first man to simultaneously play a Hammond B3 and an ARP string synth whilst eating a chicken vindaloo at the same time.

This is a prog forum Simon. That is one of the four pillars The other 3? I forgot, but I'm pretty sure one has to do with beards.

- Douglas Adams
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:06
I imagine some of the ways synthesizer sounds and samples were used were first explored (and performed & recorded) by certain adventurous/experimental artists who happened to be making music that was being called "art rock" or "progressive rock." Eno with sound manipulation. Bruford with Simmons drums. Levin with the ChapmanStick. Fripp with foot-pedal-initiated looping. I remember reading articles in Keyboard magazine from Peter Gabriel about his invention of gated drum sound for his third eponymously titled album recording sessions and from David Sylvian regarding "squeezing every sound possible" from a Prophet 5. Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Trevor Horn, and Anne Dudley must've been having a field day with the Fairlight CMI. New technologies bred new sounds. So maybe I'm talking more about sounds than stylistic inventions, but the keyboard pitch-bender or portamento or computerized sequencing and sampling and wave-editing features are examples of technological innovations that resulted in new sounds and techniques.

Edited by BrufordFreak - May 13 2018 at 09:08
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:07
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Speaking of new ideas and guitarists....what about Frippertronics by Fripp...?

He wasn't the first to employ those techniques.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 13 2018 at 09:10
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:16
It's probably just safer to say that what prog musicians brought to the table, that indeed was new, was the way they merged styles of already existing musics in order to form something altogether new. Even moreso than what was attempted durng the 60s (jazz scene in particular), and what's perhaps even more interesting to these ears: nothing out there sounded like it! The young crowd buying these albums experienced music like they'd never heard before....and that is truly a wonderful feat. Being part of creating something unique.

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Pretty sure Django Reinhardt got there first. It was just before it got a name

Wikipedia says Niccolo Paganini - admittedly on violin.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 13 2018 at 13:03
Bandcamp Profile
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:51
Re op, easy answer: NO
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:52
Jeffrey Hammond of Jethro Tull invented the claghorn. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 09:57
Speaking of violin:

Bandcamp Profile
LeoProg View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeoProg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 12:10
first that comes to mind is Ian Anderson
while he plays flute,a classical instrument ,his way of playing has a unique ''nasty'' sound (as said in interviews)using different technique
idk if he is the first to come up with this.

Now music always progress/evolves and while some instruments are widely explored in specific genres ,leaving little room for new things (electric guitar in blues/metal , sax in jazz) -
new techniques in an instrument are usually brought up by virtuosos (in the specific instrument)
or even by a non-virtuoso outside-of-the-box thinker and that has nothing to do with prog as a genre.

for example ever heard of Michael Hedges? He is credited for the modern fingerstyle/percussive acoustic guitar style or whatever is called

and not long ago i saw a guy doing that in a saxophone  (melody-rhythm-singing)
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 12:18
Ian Anderson wasn't the first to use a "nasty" flute sound; jazz flautists like Roland Kirk had been doing it earlier (Kirk was also know for playing multiple saxophones at once, which inspired David Jackson of VdGG). However, I think he may have invented playing flute while standing on one leg!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 14:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The young crowd buying these albums experienced music like they'd never heard before
The same could also be said of heavy metal during the early 70s. Hearing that monstrous Iron Man riff for the first time as a young teenager, I knew I had to have that.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2018 at 15:00
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Kirk was also know for playing multiple saxophones at once, which inspired David Jackson of VdGG

I was going to ask about David Jackson's multiple saxophone playing, but you already answered it.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>