Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superQuizzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves )
    Posted: May 17 2018 at 09:05
Sometimes there are things that bother me in prog music. 

For example when the song fades out at the end ESPECIALLY ON A FIRE SOLO! I just want to hear how the song ends all the way through! A good example of this is "Everyday" by Steve Hackett. There's even an extended version of it, but that fades out too. Fortunately the solo had already ended.

Also when Prog Songs do an ABA format. Like Child in Time, Aqualung, Roundabout etc. The end is just the beginning section once again. I think Aqualung would've been much stronger just ending on the solo (maybe lengthen it out a bit). I just think by the time you reach the end bit again, the artist ran out of ideas so they settle.

Lastly what bothers me is when songs are too short. Prog fans usually have a tolerance for longer songs to listen to anyways so when you hear a golden song like "a Time and a Place" (are there songs you think are too short?) and then it ends too soon it just hurts to hear. It's brilliant hearing it, but then it ends, and you wish it just had gone on. Another thing related to this is when you hear a really really cool part in a song but then they drop it for the next section to come. Like in Siberian Khatru when the beginning guitar motif is reintroduced around halfway through the song, and then just like that they drop it. It could've been so cool if they had done something with that. The build up was great!!

Anyways those are a couple things that bothers me in prog music. None of the examples above are songs I dislike, I think they're great songs! and because they're great songs it frustrates me that they do some of these things.

What are some pet peeves in prog that you notice?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 09:43
my pet peeve is overproduction. keep it simple

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 10:03
I get pretty upset that not everyone wears wizard capes. I mean, anyone who is anyone does, but still...need more capes.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:49
Yeah all prog songs should be at least 30 minutes....That would be my first law of prog...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:50
Second law....no fade out all songs must have a proper finale.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 11:51
Third law. All keyboard players must wear cloaks and wizard hats.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:00
There aren't enough Smurf cameos in prog. I'm so disappointed.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:04
I really donīt like prog at all when itīs only meaning seems to be to show how skillful players are.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:22
Pet prog peeve: awful singing. If you can't find a good vocalist then maybe your band should be instrumental.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 12:33
As many others I hate fadeouts. The studio version of Comfortably Numb on The Wall is an example.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 15:40
This has nothing to do with the bands or artists....  My pet peeve are genres in music..  Not descriptive enough..  Though the explanation and comments on these bands and artists are very helpful..

eg:......  Canterbury, Italian and so forth..  What the hell to they sound like and style?..

Just me I'm afraid
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 15:48
Pet peeve?

None of my 7 parrots can sing ANY prog songs. Despite my very best efforts, the only song one can sing is "Chick chick chick chicken, lay a little egg for me".

Pets? They will be in a pie if they don't buck their ideas up and master AT LEAST Bohemian Rhapsody.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 16:11
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Pet peeve?

None of my 7 parrots can sing ANY prog songs. Despite my very best efforts, the only song one can sing is "Chick chick chick chicken, lay a little egg for me".

Pets? They will be in a pie if they don't buck their ideas up and master AT LEAST Bohemian Rhapsody.

they could be made into wizard capes.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 16:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Pet prog peeve: awful singing. If you can't find a good vocalist then maybe your band should be instrumental.

On a serious note. I TOTALLY agree. Mediocre singers backed by outstanding musicians makes me want to bark at the moon like a loon. It's even worse when one of the musicans think they can pull it off. Having a thick skin i can appreicate some bands but not love them. But knowing they could be great instead of ok is frustrating.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 16:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

On a serious note. I TOTALLY agree. Mediocre singers backed by outstanding musicians makes me want to bark at the moon like a loon. It's even worse when one of the musicans think they can pull it off. Having a thick skin i can appreicate some bands but not love them. But knowing they could be great instead of ok is frustrating.
I'm right there with you.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:00
Showing off skills. Instrumental skills and compositional complexity should always serve the musical message, and this shouldn't be "marvel at what we can do". It's music not circus.

Edited by Lewian - May 17 2018 at 17:02
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:35
Poor vocals(hire someone who can actually sing for crying out loud). Also, modern bands who add too much of a metal element(mostly with the heavy or djent guitar sound) in non prog metal.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 17 2018 at 17:36
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:38

I saw this after my post. Brilliant minds think alike. Wink
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:40
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I really donīt like prog at all when itīs only meaning seems to be to show how skillful players are.

I agree !!!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 17:50
I can find nothing wrong with the ABA format. It does not mean the artist ran out of ideas at all; it is a very satisfying conclusion for me.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>