Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What bothers you in Prog Music? ( Pet Peeves )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 18:05
One of my peeves is when prog bands employ a bloody orchestra instead of a proper Mellotron.  Seriously. 

I mean, what did ELP get out of their orchestra period, except for a pile of unpaid bills and bankruptcy?  

If it ain't got Mellotron, it ain't prog.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 18:49
^ Good one   Clap

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 19:13
people who don't like cats!
what wrong thread?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 19:19
^ I get it.  Because it's Pet Peeves.  Am I right?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 19:33
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Pet prog peeve: awful singing. If you can't find a good vocalist then maybe your band should be instrumental.
Couldn't have said it better.
PROGMATIC
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 19:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I get it.  Because it's Pet Peeves.  Am I right?

must have thought of it sublingually
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 21:11
Some people complain about prog for the sake of prog, but I have a beef with pop for the sake of pop in prog music. Like when a band tries to write a really catchy sounding chorus in a song that really doesn't need one, especially when the lyrics aren't very poppy.

I think the first time I noticed this was Dream Theater's Solitary Shell (from 7 Degrees of Inner Turbulence)... in the live version from Score, James LaBrie shouts "Sing it!" during the chorus. Uh, no James... I can't understand a word you're singing. Now, if your chorus is "Woah, halfway there, woah-oh, livin' on a prayer!", I can keep up. If your chorus is:

He's a Monday morning lunatic
Disturbed from time to time
Lost within himself in his solitary shell
A temporary catatonic madman on occasion
When will he break out of his solitary shell

Then just no.

And one big big offender is Big Big Train; take Keeper Of Abbeys - catchy song; almost sounds like I'm listening to Great Big Sea. The lyrics to the chorus?

Keeper of abbeys
His name was carved in the grey stone
It was the angel of the north

That's not very chorusy at all... it barely looks like lyrics. Fortunately, the song goes into a lovely jam with violin and electric sitar solos, so it's not completely a waste.

Edited by ForestFriend - May 17 2018 at 21:12
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2018 at 22:16
I concur with the OP about songs and segments of songs that are too short [cough! cough! Gentle Giant cough! cough!].
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 02:01
Cookie cutter anything.

If I can predict the arrangement upon first listen, I lose interest immediately. 

It's not progressive if it's just a 4/4, ABABA intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/close rock song with keyboards added.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - May 18 2018 at 02:02

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 02:06
Hmm.. I don't think anything bothers me in Prog or in any genre. It is what it is, either I like it or not. I tend to prefer shorter songs rather than 20+ minute epics, but I wouldn't say it bothers me that a song is very long, as long as it is good. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 08:15
Hi,

NOTHING!

In my view of things, the only way something can bother you in "Prog" is if you are not listening to MUSIC, and instead your are confusing the SOUND for the MUSIC.

And this is a concern (even Bill Bruford mentions this in his book!), since people are "into this or that" and in general it has to do with a SOUND, and is not centered around the music work itself. If you unplug it, does it still have the elements that make it MUSIC ... and to my ear, it doesn't, and it should not be considered "metal" just because of the amplification, and this was the difference between the original "metal" (like Black Sabbath) and the rest. 

It's just scary ... how we do not differentiate the "sound" for the "music" itself. And I tend to think that too many discussions are just mired in the world of confusion in a discussion. And suggesting that it ain't this or that because of one instrument, is even worse for my mind! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 08:30
Sometimes long soft vocal passages over nothing but sustained chords can be a bit tedious . Gabriel would do this a lot in some of the early Genesis stuff. I like dynamic contrast in a song but sometime those slow passages just feel drawn out. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 08:43
Long boring nonsense posts by self opinionated blowhards. Oh and harmony vocals with too many keyboards.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 08:59
A lot of really keyboard oriented progs, some keyboards just don't sound good. I much prefer prog bands where there are violins, or clarinets, or whatever non-standard rock instrument ... or when the keyboards are being used to sound like such. This wasn't always the case, and there is some stuff I used to really love that bothers me now ... even some Yes, who I still love, but every once in a while Rick Wakeman is just making keyboards squeal
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 09:01
I don't get peoples problems with fade-outs, they rarely phase me and can sometimes even benefit a piece of music. 

To answer the question: when the artist not only decides to disregard any compositional flow, but decides it needs to be framed in a 10+ minute piece of over-complexity.    
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 09:24
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

A lot of really keyboard oriented progs, some keyboards just don't sound good. I much prefer prog bands where there are violins, or clarinets, or whatever non-standard rock instrument ... or when the keyboards are being used to sound like such. This wasn't always the case, and there is some stuff I used to really love that bothers me now ... even some Yes, who I still love, but every once in a while Rick Wakeman is just making keyboards squeal

Hell yeah, give me cello & bassoon any time over overuse of keyboards.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 10:35
Originally posted by superQuizzie superQuizzie wrote:

Sometimes there are things that bother me in prog music. 

Lastly what bothers me is when songs are too short. 

This is sort of funny.  On more of a silly whim than anything else, I made a Spotify Play List of Short Progressive rock songs, arbitrarily limiting the list to songs under 4:30.  64 tracks so far.

Edited by twalsh - May 18 2018 at 10:35
More heavy prog, please!
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 10:45
I have things that I like in dislike in all music, including prog, but the biggest in prog is probably technical w**kery for its own sake.  I like highly skilled musicianship, but musicality trumps showing off.  I like artists that prioritize the song over showing off.

This may get me banned, but I have little patience for concept albums that tell a fictional story.  I like my concepts more when they are loose and based on broad human themes (technology, utopia, fascism, love, loss, pain; there is no shortage).  A few years back, I purchased a not bad prog metal CD and was turned off when I saw that they were singing about vampires, among other things.  Really?  If I want a story about vampires, I'll get a book.  Just play me some good music.

More heavy prog, please!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 12:28
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

I don't get peoples problems with fade-outs, they rarely phase me and can sometimes even benefit a piece of music.

It depends on the music that is being faded out. If the music is something great and that one would like to hear developed further, then it can be quite frustrating to hear it being faded out. But otherwise, fade out is just one of a number of ways to end a piece of music. One interesting way to end a side of a vinyl album is for the music to continue into the run-out groove where it repeats ad infinitum.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 13:03
I love all the things that stereotype prog! Overproduction, endless solos, showboating, orchestras instead of mellotrons especially but fade outs suck in any genre.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>