Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mini Hi Fi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mini Hi Fi
    Posted: June 01 2018 at 01:50
I'm very new to hi fi systems and audio equipment. Until now I've been ripping my CD's with EAC and playing them through my computer speakers. I have decided that since my CD collection has started growing I'll need a good Mini Hi Fi under 300$ (Getting a separate cd player and amplifier is really hard for me due to economical reasons). With some research I'm thinking of buying the Panasonic SC-PMX80EG-K. I really don't know though what I should be looking for. I want to have it in a small living room, getting a pretty decent volume though I do not care about using it for parties or anything. I just want to have good sound for the money I'll pay. Any suggestions or advice to guide me with my own research? Thank you for your time!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 10:28
For the money you want to spend, that Panasonic mini setup seems appropriate. Says the output is 120wpc, I am sure its not a very good amplifier section but should sound 100x better than your laptop.
You probably could upgrade the speakers at some point.....You should get good volume out of it too.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 10:51
Why not get good studio monitors and an amp for your PC? You'll likely get better audio than with any of those mini stereo systems and you can add a separate CD player later if you think you need one.
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 07:12
I have some old Scott 177b speakers that seem pretty good so I might install these. If I can of course because they have an impedance of 8 ohms and I don't know if this machine can power them.I'm not sure how the compatibility works in terms of Impedance and Wattage. By the way I thought I could upgrade my PC setup but I'm not sure how I should go about it. Won't there be any interference because of all the electronics? Also I'll have to get a better CD reader for my build because this one sounds like a helicopter taking off the entire time. The feeling of having a dedicated music system also appeals to me a bit more so I don't know which is best. Thank you for your time guys!
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 08:03
Another thing Ι'd like to know is if I can connect powered speakers to an amp and how does it work in general. Sorry if I'm being too inquisitive but I can't find much info online about this stuff. Thank you!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 08:07
You'd need an amplifier to use those speakers on the PC, maybe something like the Dayton Audio DTA3116HP or the Lepai LP-2020TI, and there are probably ones with better audio quality for more money. You could use a mini amp like that for a separate stereo setup as well if you don't need too many inputs. I don't think interference will be a problem if you use good, shielded cables.

Another option on the PC would be an USB audio interface, but I'm pretty sure you'd need speakers (studio monitors) with XLR or TRS inputs for them. (I use mine for headphone output.)
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 08:17
Originally posted by Mavil64 Mavil64 wrote:

Another thing Ι'd like to know is if I can connect powered speakers to an amp and how does it work in general. Sorry if I'm being too inquisitive but I can't find much info online about this stuff. Thank you!
Powered speakers have a built-in amp, you should connect them directly into a PC or a mixer or another low-level signal, not to an amp.
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 08:43
I'll probably get an amp a bit higher in price than those you linked so I can get decent sound from my pc and maybe later get a separate CD player to be able to use the whole system without the need for the pc! Thanks a lot for your input you helped clear things up quite a bit!Smile
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Mavil64 Mavil64 wrote:

I have some old Scott 177b speakers that seem pretty good so I might install these. If I can of course because they have an impedance of 8 ohms and I don't know if this machine can power them.I'm not sure how the compatibility works in terms of Impedance and Wattage. By the way I thought I could upgrade my PC setup but I'm not sure how I should go about it. Won't there be any interference because of all the electronics? Also I'll have to get a better CD reader for my build because this one sounds like a helicopter taking off the entire time. The feeling of having a dedicated music system also appeals to me a bit more so I don't know which is best. Thank you for your time guys!

The Panasonic I am sure is into 8 ohms, even if it is 6 ohms does not matter. The lower the ohms just means less resistance and the power will flow more. 
120 wpc is more than enough to drive those Scott speakers. Usually that is a nominal spec so it could fluctuate from 8 ohms to 2 ohms, just depends.....No concerns.

Rather than spend this money it really sounds like you want better system that you could grow with and will last you many years......Depending on your budget you can get an integrated amp and a CD player, you already have speakers in the Scotts.

NAD 316BEE Integrated Amplifier: $380.00 40wpc into 8 ohms and a much better amp section than the Panasonic, also has a built in phono section if you want add a turntable.

NAD C583 CD Player: $300.00 Wolfson 24bit internal DAC, wireless remote and digital outputs if you ever upgrade to a stand alone DAC

With these two pcs and your Scott speakers for now, you will get really nice musical experience. Then save up for newer better speakers and you will be more than happy.
Mavil64 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mavil64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:54
I decided to go for the classic Hi Fi set up. I'll get an amp for now to connect my pc and turntable and when I get a cd player I'll just connect it to that. I've made a makeshift rca to speaker wire cable and managed to connect my Scott speakers to my crappy logitech subwoofer/amp that was part of a 2.1 speaker set for computers. Sounds around 1000 times better already. I'll be getting the amp this month or the other and then I'll start saving up for a CD player better speakers and a headshell and cartridge for my Technics sl-1200 mk2.. Thank you guys for all the help! You really made my decision much easier! SmileSmileSmileStar
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 13:26
^ Sounds like a good plan!
 Post Reply Post Reply