Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xalph for Zeuhl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xalph for Zeuhl
    Posted: June 20 2018 at 12:47
This 70's French band - which had been featured on the Enneade compilation (1987) - had now a LP 30 years after its split-up!
So, I guess we can add them to the PA database now, right?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:48
It looks like they were rejected years ago on the basis of only appearing on a compilation with one track and on bootlegs. Bizarrely a small French label, Monster Melodies, released an album of 74-75 material in May 2018 as a limited edition clear vinyl. So unless someone here has bought that and wants to rip us a download I don't see how we can review it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 04:23
...sigh...

OK, I'll see what I can do about that...
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 05:56
ZEUHL ATTAHK! 

All thacks by this obscure French combo are on YT, so enjoy! 
It sounds zeuhlish, but also suprisingly eclectic and jazz-rockish (I mean tracks before the last one)
The production may be a bit painfully sharp, but that's not very big problem (good it reached light of the day anyway).
I think it's a good addition to music released after all these years by Zig Zag and Evohe Smile

Xalph 2018

A1 Entrée D'Amélie 2:39
A2 Les Soldats 8:30
A3 8:02
B1 Ballade A Xalph 11:33
B2 Gya-Tei (Part 1 & Part 2) 8:52

Bass – Dany Marcombes* (tracks: A1 to B1)
Bass Guitar – Jack Tocah (tracks: B2)
Drums – Andre Lesgouarres (tracks: A1 to B1), Maurice Fari (tracks: B2)
Electric Guitar, Guitar Synthesizer, Recorded By – Patrick Briand (tracks: B2)
Electric Piano [Fender Rhodes Piano] – Christian Lassalle (tracks: A1 to B1)
Guitar – Francis Ferrer (tracks: A1 to B1)
Guitar, Soprano Saxophone, Written By – Jean-Pierre Daran (tracks: A1 to B1)
Piano, Electric Piano, Synthesizer, Written By – Serge Korjanevski (tracks: B2)
Synthesizer, Electric Piano – Jean-Michel Cursan (tracks: B2)
Vocals – Claire Laborde (tracks: B2), Françoise Georges (tracks: B2)
Notes
Limited Edition of 1000 hand-numbered copies.

Unreleased album by French Zeuhl / Progressive band who was active from 1974 to 1981.

It contains a poster of a 1979 Concert they gave during a Festival in the Gaité-Montparnasse Theater, along with Univers Zero, Art Zoyd and Vortex.

It also contains a Concert ticket from 1978, a family tree and a copy of a promo letter.

A1 to B1 recorded in 1974-1975 at Villenave d'Ornon (Gironde, France), with TEAC 3300 recorder.
B2 recorded in 1980 at studio Isis, Bordeaux.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 08:06
I know I'm not part of the ZART team, but this sounds like a no-brainer to me
(and yes, Zig Zag and Evohé sound like similar cases  >> I'm kind of surprised that Vapeur Mauve missed this one.)
HarryAngel746 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryAngel746 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:25
Maybe some bigger label will grab tham. From the other side on this Monster Melodies label was also released album by mysterious prog band Satan (I didn't listen to this yet, but it's on PA already http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=11050#discography ), so maybe they also are growing with these archival things Smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:45
Bands that start with X make me feel so naughty! Clown

Agreed that this should be a no brainer OUI OUI, mes amis!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:47
Nice words on Wayside:

Xalph are a semi-legendary Zeuhl band who never released anything during their lifetime (1974-1980 or so) but who recorded demos which were met with some positive acclaim, even though they did not ever lead to an actual signing and which is what this lp is, finally given life beyond the cassette demo world.
In the mid 80s, they had one track from their demos (included here) released on the Magma-themed Enneade compilation by Musea.
For the truly zeuhl amongst us, this is a surprising and very happy treat!!

“An unknown masterpiece of this french style, released only on cassette, I think this should be ranked and evaluated next to the other musical masterpieces of the 20th century like The Rite of Spring or Prokofieff's ballets, studied in music schools and conservatories, the compositional quality is not inferior in any way. I hope I'm not the only one who will hold this opinion...
Actually the music is not as dissonantly difficult as Yog or Yochk'o or Shub, more similar to early Abus or later Eider.”

Listening to this now and i'm freakin' lovin it!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Bands that start with X make me feel so naughty! Clown

Agreed that this should be a no brainer OUI OUI, mes amis!

Any band name that starts with an X has to be Zeuhl! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply