Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is the Pan Flute shunned by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the Pan Flute shunned by Prog?
    Posted: June 21 2018 at 10:45
I looked everywere, but I couldn't find a prog band using the Pan Flute in their instrumentarium!
Why does the prog community despises this instrumnet?
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 10:58
I always associate Pan Flute with easy listening new age garbage. It might be that.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:18
Because even prog isn't ready for the sheer ascending properties of the almighty pan flute which will open up the veils that separate us from a world so magnanimous and beautiful that we would melt into heaps of charred carbon atoms if we were to experience it too quickly.

Here is the pan flute army preparing an unsuspecting world for the celebrated day when the pan flute gods will descend from their perches in the sky and usher in the promised era of eternal peace!

Edited by siLLy puPPy - June 21 2018 at 11:21

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:21
Pan Flute is cool but it's extremely tricky to use it in a way so that it doesn't sound cheesy.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:21
As long as we have Ian Anderson blowing a concert flute, we don't need no stinking pan flutes!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:26
We need a zamfir prog album!

Edited by AEProgman - June 21 2018 at 11:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:31
I associate it too much with some boring Zamfir. Not Prog but I do like him in this:

The pan flute (also known as pan pipe) is used in several acts, including Popol Vuh's Aguirre on the first track towards the end of it.

¿Que me Dices uses some pan flute, Patanga (prog folk) uses pan flute, FLor de Loto uses some pan flute. Camel's "Stationary Traveler" track has pan flute.

I would imagine that there would be quite a few in the Prog Folk realm that would use pan flute. Swara Samrat in Krautrock uses some pan flute, and I would expect that some Krautrock bands would use it occasionally (maybe Ralf Nowy somewhere?).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:45
Frequently used by Flor de Loto from Peru...

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 11:56
Andy Latimer plays them on Stationary Traveller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfF2UZjXx_g

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 12:47
How about three pan flutes in harmony?

https://youtu.be/cPSwzPuvBWw?t=1607
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 14:43
Knew this thread was coming...
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 15:06
Jethro Tull likes to pan flute a lot. In one of the flute solos in A Passion Play, there's one flute panned left and one panned right.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 16:25
What about Flairck? 

Edited by TheGazzardian - June 21 2018 at 16:26
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 16:26
Seriously, i think you have an open niche in the prog world to make it happen! Let er rip, man!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 17:08
Baked flute is better than pan flute. Less saturated fat.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2018 at 22:23
Sampled pan flute was all over prog and rock of the 1980s.  

Gabriel used a similar sampled flute sound on "Sledgehammer," but I don't hear much pan flute these days except on legitimate native music from the Andes mountains of South America, which is quite wonderful.  

The first sound in “Sledgehammer” is a synthesized shakuhachi (bamboo flute) played on the  Fairlight CMI, which back in the eighties represented the cutting edge of digital synthesis and was a staggeringly expensive piece of gear. (Retro synth geeks will want to check out the video of Herbie Hancock and Quincy Jones demonstrating a Fairlight, it’ll put a smile on your face.)

Here, one of my favorite Cholo bands is "Agua Clara!" 

Edited by cstack3 - June 21 2018 at 22:54
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 04:00
You haven't lived until you've heard Tarkus played completely on pan flute
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 04:14
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Jethro Tull likes to pan flute a lot. In one of the flute solos in A Passion Play, there's one flute panned left and one panned right. 
LOL! 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 06:00
I daresay there is some in the works of Los Jaivas
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 08:11
not many people play the pan flute in the first place; even German comedian, jazz-musician and multi-instrumentalist Helge Schneider who plays a huge and diverse range of instruments (piano, organ, guitar, sax, trumpet, violin, cello, accordion, vibraphone, marimbaphone, ukulele, recorder, double bass and drums) doesn't play the pan flute. so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the pan flute is very little used in prog.

speaking of Helge Schneider: in this clip he can be seen on saxophone, double bass and piano

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>