Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite singer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: who are favourite singer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [0.94%]
3 [1.41%]
6 [2.82%]
3 [1.41%]
18 [8.45%]
31 [14.55%]
10 [4.69%]
5 [2.35%]
125 [58.69%]
10 [4.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 13:52
From the list Gabriel, but my favorite is Mike Patton

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 13:52
mike patton is in polll
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 14:16
Jon Anderson--I like nice sounding male voices---that can soar and be beautiful---his voice isn't just high it has a a great full sound---like a fine oboe. Smile

I mean I like others on the list but some I loath.Shocked
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 16:05
Hammill over Patton and Beefy 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 17:19
From this list, Peter Gabriel.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 17:43
No Micky Thomas ?? Man, he has a set of pipes.......(then again, not many Jefferson Starship fans here.....)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 17:46
From the list - I'll go for Ian Anderson at his peak in the 70s and 80s he had a wonderfully expressive voice who could show wit, pathos, complexity and depth - and his little pauses between phrases or words were superb.

Sadly, we all know his vocal troubles over the last decade or so, and it is sad when I've seen him live the last decade, as I've willed him to reach those notes and scan in time as he gulped to get the volume up etc. I've sweated more than in a gym session to mentally get through songs.

However, at his best. He really was unstoppable!

All the best Ian - but please make it up with Martin! It's just not right to hear Tull live these days without old Lancelot!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 23:48
It´s Captain, although op not seem to like him (no-one can write without purpose so terrible way).
Argos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 03:21
I'd go with Greg Lake if he was here, but from this list I'd choose Mikael Akerfeldt, his clean vocals are absolutely wonderful.
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 05:29
THIS Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 07:23
Haven't heard much of Inga or Beefheart.  From the rest, Mike Patton.  Ok, I don't like even close to everything he has done but the stuff I do is enough to beat the poll competition imo.  Now add Devin Townsend and it would have been impossible to decide.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 09:47
Hammill for his range and intensity.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2018 at 21:03
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

mike patton is in polll

Prog died in the 70s.  Who the fook is Patton! LOL
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 02:32
From this list, option #9. Gabriel is on the list twiece.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 03:21
No Grbiel on the list. Where´s gnuie big?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:06
Odd list of singers...indeed....several big names with the rest being somewhat less known.
No other option ..yet  several people voted Gabriel.....go figure. And many big names missing from the list.
From that list Anderson ...his early vocals were always solid and he could at least carry a tune unlike another big name up there.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:23
I picked Ian Anderson, but personally prefer Jon Anderson; I just don't see him on the list.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:32
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Odd list of singers...indeed....several big names with the rest being somewhat less known.
No other option ..yet  several people voted Gabriel.....go figure. And many big names missing from the list.
From that list Anderson ...his early vocals were always solid and he could at least carry a tune unlike another big name up there.
;)

Anyone who doesn't know Inga Rumpf has missed the most powerful female voice there is in prog. 'nuff said.

She was very well known in Germany in the 70s, but her bands Frumpy and Atlantis never made it big outside of Germany.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 10:44
^I'm quite familiar with Inga Rumph and of course she's got powerful voice, but I'm not necessarily interested in those most powerful female-or male voices.  
Some of my actual favorites within the "prog sphere" are:

Kira Vollman (Non Credo)
Pascale Son (Cos)
Celia Humphris (Trees)
Kate Bush
Roy Harper
Richard Sinclair
Robert Wyatt
Demetrio Stratos (Area)
Catherine Ribeiro - now that's the most powerful voice in music that actually appeals to me
Damo Suzuki - not because he's a conventionally gifted singer I just like the tone of his voice. 

+ Captain Beefheart & Peter Hammill 
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2018 at 13:06
Ian Anderson
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>