Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PhD student in prog and spirituality!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PhD student in prog and spirituality!
    Posted: July 03 2018 at 05:05
Hello!

I'm researching how progressive rock might provide or heighten a spiritual experience for a PhD at St Andrews. Would SO love to hear what anyone from this forum has to say about these topics and more.

I'm actually running a survey at the moment, which invites people to tell me about their experiences for about 20 minutes, but don't want to seem to be spamming the site. :( is there any way I can provide a link to it? In order for me to be able to use what people say for my research, i can't just poach stuff off here.

For what it's worth - I came into this topic for a PhD because I saw 2 guys (including my boss) playing Pink Floyd at an open mic, and thinking how enchanting it was. I'm a former literature student so also very into talking about song and album 'meaning'. Favourite bands - Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Kate Bush. Finding Spock's Beard and Neal Morse very interesting now too... esp. from a theology perspective.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 07:05
if you want a spiritual experience in prog go to a live concert of Magma

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BillieJane View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 08:38
Thanks, that sounds amazing! Just putting on a Magma track - they were on my to listen list for a while! do they still perform live?!

I'm going to link my survey below, would love if you wanted to elaborate on the experience!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 08:40
Survey advert below (gradually proving I'm not spam hehe -thanks so much to everyone who has helped! the link will work if copied and pasted into your browser):

Hello! My name is Kimberley Anderson and I’m a PhD student in Theology and the Arts at the University of St Andrews. My thesis explores how certain forms of progressive rock might be connected to spiritual or religious experience. To make my project as accurate as possible, I am gathering first-hand accounts of how listeners experience this music, and I would be delighted to hear from you if you have anything to say about this combination of ideas. This month I am running a survey that is open to people of all backgrounds, beliefs and persuasions, as long as they are over 18 years of age and interested in progressive rock. My definition of progressive rock is very flexible, so please do not be put off if you only have experience with a few bands which fit loosely into this category. It starts with some quick, general questions about how you perceive and experience prog rock, and moves on to ask participants to describe, where possible, specific kinds of experience related to progressive rock and spirituality. It can be completed online via the link below and, all in all, should only take 15-20 minutes of your time. Your answers will be treated confidentially, but there is also the option to leave your email address in case you are willing to keep in touch and perhaps answer any more questions (this would be extremely helpful!). 

PhD Researcher: Kimberley Jane Anderson, University of St Andrews, [email protected]

Supervisor: Dr Gavin Hopps, University of St Andrews, [email protected]

standrewseu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cCuaeyS5pbWv7aB

Edited by BillieJane - July 03 2018 at 08:42
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 09:19
Originally posted by BillieJane BillieJane wrote:

Thanks, that sounds amazing! Just putting on a Magma track - they were on my to listen list for a while! do they still perform live?!

I'm going to link my survey below, would love if you wanted to elaborate on the experience!

yes, they still perform live.

I have been to several Magma concerts. the most memorable one was at the Leverkusener Jazztage about 15-20 years ago. I had attended the concert with my wife (same-sex marriage). a woman who stood beside us who had seen them for the first time was totally enthusiastic about them and said "this was an unreal experience". they had played "Köhntark" and "Mekanïk Destruktïẁ Kommandöh", which took about 80 minutes. as an encore they played "Kobah" and "Hhai"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 09:23
Are they the most unreal band do you think? ;)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillieJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 09:23
I've seen that you do music, which is so cool :)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 09:29

I've seen that you do music, which is so cool :)

yes. my wife and I both have alopecia universalis, an auto-immune disorder that makes all hair fall out from head to toe, even the eyelashes and nostril hairs; we met in a self-help group. the band we founded is therefore called "Bald Angels".

my wife is on this forum too; her username is BaldFriede.

my avatar (and hers) shows the cover of our first album, "The Goat and the Donkey". I am the one on the right on that cover.

here is a bigger image of the cover:

Edited by BaldJean - July 03 2018 at 09:39

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2018 at 10:12

Are they the most unreal band do you think? ;)

They are pretty unreal, and the first time seeing them is usually considered a spiritual experience, I've seen them 4 or 5 times and nothing tops that first one. There are actually quite a few unreal bands on here, you may want to check out youtube clips of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (USA) & Present (Belgium) 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2018 at 04:16
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

if you want a spiritual experience in prog go to a live concert of Magma

I can only confirm what my wife said. Seeing Magma live is a spiritual experience.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 06:36
Hi Kimberley! 

Sounds like a very interesting project.

You don't mention "Yes" in your list of bands.

I think Yes are very spiritual and transcendent.  Jon Anderson was very much into Eastern philosophy and religion and this is heavily reflected in the band's lyrics and songs.

The go to Yes album in this regard would be "Tales from Topographic Oceans", which was based on a footnote in "Autobiography of a Yogi".

I would recommend that you check this album out if you haven't heard it before.  The opening track is "The Revealing Science of God" and the whole album is seeped in eastern mysticism.
Songs cast a light on you
 Post Reply Post Reply