Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 70's Zappa Album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one do you think is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
4 [10.26%]
2 [5.13%]
3 [7.69%]
12 [30.77%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
2 [5.13%]
1 [2.56%]
3 [7.69%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.13%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 70's Zappa Album?
    Posted: July 14 2018 at 23:00
Welcome to the gauntlet that is Zappas 70's discography. I gotta go with Sheik, though Sleep Dirt and One Size are pretty damn close.
The most dangerous man in America.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 00:09
One Size Fits All.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 03:46
As much as I'm a fan of his early 70's fusion experimentation, OSFA is my personal favorite Zappa record ever!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 05:20
There are six albums here I could easily have picked. But I probably love Burnt Weeny Sandwich the most.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 05:58
So many great albums by the great Frank Zappa. I'll have to wait before I can vote. 
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 07:23
One Size fits all

Edited by maryes - July 15 2018 at 07:23
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 07:35
Roxy and Elsewhere is to my mind the quintessential Zappa album. The Helsinki Concert comes a close second.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 08:14
Burnt Weeny Sandwich. I haven´t heard those all, but enough I think I can vote. Really love the first Mothers!
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 09:39
There are a lot of these albums that I love, but I pick Sheik Yerbouti as my personal favorite because it was my entry point for Zappa and for other sentimental reasons.  Many years ago, I was with some friends in the second row awaiting the main act for a concert for some mostly-unheard-of, up-and-coming-band called Van Halen.  During the intermission, they were playing Sheik Yerbouti over the speaker system, and I was going crazy trying to figure out who the artist was, it was love at first listen.  The next day, I took myself down to the local record store, and asked the clerk who that was, thinking it was a long shot that he would know, but he smiled as if he knew I was on the doorstep to discovering a lot of great music, and pointed me to the very ugly Sheik Yerbouti album and I bought it without hesitation.  As far as the concert, it was great as David Lee Roth almost jumped on our heads 259 times, and VH would go on to major popularity of course, but the thing I remember most about the entire experience was that Frank Zappa recording.  I still love that album, nostalgia or not.

Edited by TCat - July 15 2018 at 09:40
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 10:35
Really tough to say. Not sure I have a clear favorite . OSFA is certainly up there, but so is Grand Wazoo, Sleep Dirt, Zappa in New York, and Sheik Yerbouti.

But lately, the one that has earned a whole new lease on life for me is 200 Motels, which I’ve been listening to several times a week. It’s certainly flawed (poor sound quality mostly), but the mix of orchestral and rock tunes is quite fascinating (the lo-fi actually enhances the mysterious sound). And I think the album sides are very well organized and sequenced- each one acting almost as a suite. What the hey - I’ll vote for 200 Motels. Get rid of some of that inner tension. Rip off a few more ashtrays.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 11:58
I prefer the Overnite Sensation/Apostrophe period.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 11:58
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 12:14
Yet again, I cast my vote for Sheik Yerbouti.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 13:46
Zappa In New York
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 17:04
Love early 70s-era Zappa. Many great offerings. But, OSFA is my personal favorite.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 17:40
Somehow I love Just Another Band from L.A., Billy was a Mountain, indeed.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 08:29
 I'm really in to Over-Nite Sensation right now but ask me next week & I may pick something else. 

Edited by Argo2112 - July 16 2018 at 13:28
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 10:21
Studio Tan for me.  It was my 1st FZ album ever and I still recall the first time I dropped the needle on Greggary Peccary and thought, WTF!  This is amazing!

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 16 2018 at 10:22
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:05
Many of those are actually Mothers of Invention and Mothers albums, not technically solo (Frank Zappa) releases.  I know Frank changed the labeling in later years, with the CD re-releases, giving him band credit (oddly), but many originally were Mother's albums. Us old timers and long-time fans still keep straight which one are MOI, Mothers, and Frank Zappa releases.

There are other good (and crazy) earlier Mothers of Invention albums too, like We're Only In It For the Money, Absolutely Free, and Freak Out!

If it was included, I'd vote for the best of all, the double-album Mothers of Invention classic: Uncle Meat (now credited as by Frank Zappa).

Edited by Boojieboy - July 16 2018 at 13:14
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 22:49
^You can go vote here:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107652&KW=Zappa

You know this is 70`s Zappa-albums-thread (I don´t think there is not much difference it is Zappa or Mothers album, Zappa was always absolutely leader of his bands too), Uncle Meat and those earlier great Mothers albums were made in the sixties.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>