Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs that end abruptly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog songs that end abruptly
    Posted: July 15 2018 at 18:08
I'm sure most of you have heard songs that end on a very anticlimactic note, you know, the type of songs that you expect to have a cool ending, but instead they stop dead in their track leaving you a bit unsatisfied.
Here are three tracks that come to my mind:

Tomas Bodin - M (really bizarre ending)
Todd Rundgren - Le Feel Internacionale (it goes dense and just stops)
SBB - Memento z Banalnym Tryptykiem (thankfully the sheer beauty of the guitar solo compensates for it)

Do you have any more examples? Just wondering.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 18:59
"Never Sleeps the Mouse Police" by Tull. It ends with a wheezing cough.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 19:05
Just finished listening to one, in fact.  Godspeed You! Black Emperor's "Motherf*cker=Redeemer (Part II)".  After listening to Part I which was over 21 minutes and is quite awesome, and then Part II never hits the climax, even after it's 15 minute run time.  It has a sudden quick crescendo and then ends abruptly.  Talk about disappointing.  I guess you could see that as a statement to their sudden hiatus, and it makes sense in that aspect, but I'm so happy they are back again.

Another one that more people would be familiar with is Yes "Hearts", the last track on "90125".  You expect a huge close to their comeback album, and it just ends.  I couldn't believe it was over the first time I heard it.  I kept expecting a final big guitar solo or something.  Most of Blue Oyster Cult's albums seem to end with a mediocre song too.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 19:34
Dream Theater - Pull my undies! Pull my undies! Pull my undies! I'm not afraid!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 20:27
Dream Theater- Pull Me under
The Beatles- I want you/she's so heavy(yes it's prog)
Yes- Heart of the Sunrise

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 15 2018 at 20:27
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 21:31
Pink Floyd's "Have a Cigar". Though if kind of continues quite softly, it also gives me the impression of an abrupt ending.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2018 at 22:06

Flash – There No More.  It has one of my favorite extended codas which comes to a halt as abruptly as the aforementioned Beatles tune.

King Crimson – The Mincer.  Apparently the tape simply ran out, which led me to think something was wrong with the record the first I played it.

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
flyingveepixie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingveepixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 00:47
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Just finished listening to one, in fact.  Godspeed You! Black Emperor's "Motherf*cker=Redeemer (Part II)".  After listening to Part I which was over 21 minutes and is quite awesome, and then Part II never hits the climax, even after it's 15 minute run time.  It has a sudden quick crescendo and then ends abruptly.  Talk about disappointing.  I guess you could see that as a statement to their sudden hiatus, and it makes sense in that aspect, but I'm so happy they are back again.

Another one that more people would be familiar with is Yes "Hearts", the last track on "90125".  You expect a huge close to their comeback album, and it just ends.  I couldn't believe it was over the first time I heard it.  I kept expecting a final big guitar solo or something.  Most of Blue Oyster Cult's albums seem to end with a mediocre song too.

Ahh mate,    I think Hearts is a lovely song with an almost perfect ending - I say almost because it's always grated on me a bit how in the production the reverb was removed from Andersons voice just on the very last line. 

"Pull me under" is the ultimate bad ending for me - well, perhaps not necessarily bad but just a bit disappointing in it's abruptness.

Edited by flyingveepixie - July 16 2018 at 00:52
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 02:28
Heart of The Sunrise
Cogs in Cogs
Assorted Billy Cobham tracks

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 03:16
Discipline - When She Dreams She Dreams in Color
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:23
Carpe Diem - Réincarnation

A brilliant track slightly spoiled by the abrupt way in which it finishes.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 07:28
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

Flash – There No More.  It has one of my favorite extended codas which comes to a halt as abruptly as the aforementioned Beatles tune.

King Crimson – The Mincer.  Apparently the tape simply ran out, which led me to think something was wrong with the record the first I played it.

I was going to mention the Mincer but it's more of a case of the tape running out like you say. I think this issue was sort of fixed on the reissues but not sure since it's been a while since I heard it.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 09:11
The Black Rainbow by Coheed and Cambria. I think it ends on a dramatic crescendo and abrupt stop though, so not as bad
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 09:36
Cheer-Accident have a fair few which end on a sudden sharp cut, though the only one with a disappointing result of these is "Driving a Nail With a Clock". I might be missing some too:

"Fat Dog's Gonna Hatch" from Dumb Ask
"Ignorance Moving Sideways" from Babies Shouldn't Smoke
"Driving a Nail With a Clock" from The Why Album 
"Grow II" from Not a Food
"Track 29" from Introducing Lemon
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 09:59
Half the discography of Gentle Giant... just saying.

"Put Me On" by Styx (yes I consider Styx, up till Cornerstone, prog) ends pretty abruptly, and then speeds straight off into Mademoiselle.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 10:03
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

This is an interesting one because although it does end abruptly, there is a big drawn out wind up to that abruptness. I don't consider it anti-climactic but I can see why others would.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 10:55
The Orange County Lumber Truck - Zappa

Frank pulls the rug right out from under you and laughs
as you try to figure out what just happened, Classic!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:00
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

This is an interesting one because although it does end abruptly, there is a big drawn out wind up to that abruptness. I don't consider it anti-climactic but I can see why others would.

I love the ending 'cause they're just pounding away and all of the sudden...silence.  I got Abbey Road the Christmas after it was released and I'd never heard I Want You/She's So Heavy on the radio.  When the song just stopped I was wondering what went wrong with my trusty Radio Shack record player LOL

Type O Negative did a fantastic Beatles medley on their '99 World Coming Down album.  It starts with Day Tripper, morphs into If I Needed Someone then the last 4 minutes are the ending from She's So Heavy.  What they do different though is gradually keep slowing down over 4 minutes until the end just crawls at about 1/4 normal speed then it cuts off.  Type O had such a great sense of humor...love those guys Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 16 2018 at 12:05
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 12:05
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I love the ending 'cause they're just pounding away and all of the sudden...silence.  First time I heard Abbey Road and the ending I was 10 and was wondering what just went wrong with my record player LOL

I always loved that ending as well. Just seems so right somehow.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2018 at 13:42
I think a lot of Blackfield songs scream for instrumental development, especially "Cloudy Now." It ends just when it should explode.
PROGMATIC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>