Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs that end abruptly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 03:03
Area's "Arbeit Macht Frei" has a really odd abrupt ending.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 03:42
Death Trap by Hawkwind, literally ends very abruptly, although I wuldn't say it leaves me unsatisfied, and it gives way to the very contrasting Jack of Shadows on the PXR5 album, which overall works very well.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Lamneth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2018 at 12:44
Peter Gabriel - We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

I always felt like this was just an intro and had the possibility for much more development.
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 11:38
Pretty much all the tracks on King Crimson's "Discipline".
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Death Trap by Hawkwind, literally ends very abruptly, although I wuldn't say it leaves me unsatisfied, and it gives way to the very contrasting Jack of Shadows on the PXR5 album, which overall works very well.

When I was terribly young, in the very early 80's, I had a radio show, and played this track just before the next guys were due to come on and do a punk/new wave show. They loved it and jumped about the place, and wanted to know who it was, assuming it was some new band they'd not heard of.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 12:26
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The Beatles- I want you/she's so heavy(yes it's prog)

This is an interesting one because although it does end abruptly, there is a big drawn out wind up to that abruptness. I don't consider it anti-climactic but I can see why others would.

I love the ending 'cause they're just pounding away and all of the sudden...silence.  I got Abbey Road the Christmas after it was released and I'd never heard I Want You/She's So Heavy on the radio.  When the song just stopped I was wondering what went wrong with my trusty Radio Shack record player LOL

Type O Negative did a fantastic Beatles medley on their '99 World Coming Down album.  It starts with Day Tripper, morphs into If I Needed Someone then the last 4 minutes are the ending from She's So Heavy.  What they do different though is gradually keep slowing down over 4 minutes until the end just crawls at about 1/4 normal speed then it cuts off.  Type O had such a great sense of humor...love those guys Wink

I know Type O Negative. I don't think they are on this website though. They did the soundtrack to the version of the classic horror movie "Nosferatu" that I own. Speaking of metal bands though Black Sabbath(who are on here)have a couple of songs that end abruptly. One is on their 13 album if I'm not mistaken and the other is "hole in the sky" from Sabotage.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 13:05

I know Type O Negative. I don't think they are on this website though. They did the soundtrack to the version of the classic horror movie "Nosferatu" that I own. Speaking of metal bands though Black Sabbath(who are on here)have a couple of songs that end abruptly. One is on their 13 album if I'm not mistaken and the other is "hole in the sky" from Sabotage.

Speaking of Type O Negative & Black Sabbath, the first time I heard Type O was on the 1994 Sabbath tribute album, "Nativity in Black" where they do this great cover of the song Black Sabbath...there will only ever be one Peter Steele (RIP).

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 20 2018 at 13:06
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 13:21
Plenty of Gorguts tracks.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 21:21

I was going to mention the Mincer but it's more of a case of the tape running out like you say. I think this issue was sort of fixed on the reissues but not sure since it's been a while since I heard it.

I sure hope they didn't try to "fix" that perfect ending. Has anyone heard this? Did they fade it out? Please don't say they faded it out before it gets to the mangled tape tail!
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2018 at 11:51
Surely, the ultimate is "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" from The Beatles? One of the most prog things they ever did.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 19:32
I thought of another one and that is "chasing shadows" by Deep Purple(from their third album). It has the same cut off ending as "I want you/she's so heavy" and "pull me under." 
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 00:44
I couldn't really answer that que-
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 01:44
"One More Red Nightmare" from King Crimson's Red album springs to mind.

I thought something had gone wrong with the CD when I first played it.

Love the track and the abrupt ending now though
Songs cast a light on you
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:16
"With Their Flesh, He'll Create", Gorguts.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:35
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I couldn't really answer that que-

LOL
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 12:07
“Cans and Brahms” ends abruptly when I press ‘skip’ three seconds in.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:46
Can Utility and the Coastliners by - oh, you know who.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Harrekiet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrekiet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 07:34
Queen - The march of the black queen

Probably my favourite Queen song. It's perfect in many ways and contains everything I ever need in music.
However the sudden ending, as a transition to what I find the weakest song on the album, dissapoints a little if I listen to the song on its own. The Deep Cuts 1 version solves that problem though.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 19:15
King Crimson - Lament
Genesis - Can Utility and the Coastliners

Are 2 that come to mind
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 09:00
Hi,

I never thought as "life" as just a "song" ... so its ending is not that big a deal with me ... you might as well end up with that one by BJH ... that ought to end things fast!

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>