Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"One song far above all others" bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "One song far above all others" bands
    Posted: July 18 2018 at 19:44
How many prog (or prog-related) bands can you think that have a song that is so much better than all there other songs, that you don't ever listen to those worse songs? (I guess you could call them "one-hit wonders", except that they weren't hits )
Looking for mostly 70s bands, and also I encourage you to list bands of many different prog rock sub-genres.
To start us off: Manfred Mann's Earth Band - "Father of Day, Father of Night"
Pavlov's Dog - "Of Once and Future Kings"
(remember that it's your opinion, and it doesn't matter if others don't agree with the song choice/band choice)
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2018 at 21:53
Tadeusz Woźniak - Odcień Ciszy is IMO his magnum opus. Also:

Citizen Cain - Somewhere but Yesterday
The Living Tombstone - Tachles (it's the only rock song ever recorded by this artist and it's awesome)
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cag71 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cag71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:15
City - Am Fenster, from their 1978 self-titled debut album. I love this track, and it far oushines anything else they ever did IMO.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 08:37
Haven't heard every album by Marius Popp, but "Inscripţie" from the debut easily appeals the most to me of what I have heard (it's also the most Prog) and best fits the topic. It's the only one by that band that I regularly listen to and it comes closest to the spirit of the OP in my post.

With these, I do play other music by them, but these are stand-outs:

There's plenty of Geinoh Yamashirogumi that I like, but "Osorezan" is my highlight (love it, and I have listened to it many more times than other GY -- do love Symhonic Suite Akira's "Requiem" as well and well I do play various GY albums in full). There is also plenty of Björn J:son Lindh that I like, but "Musik från en storstad" stands out for me (that said, I do listen to the full album it's off when I play it). With Lenny White, his "The Venusian Summer Suite" stands out above the rest for me.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:20
Bands that are good, but have one song that really stands out (not prog-only):

Rush - "Tom Sawyer"
DEVO - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
Kraftwerk - "Autobahn"

Bands that have only one good song (not prog-only):

Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth" (which is not only good but a masterpiece, though)
U2 - "Zoo Station"
Joy Division - "She's Lost Control"
My Bloody Valentine - "Only Shallow"
The Velvet Underground - "Venus In Furs"

Edited by austrianprogfan - July 19 2018 at 09:35
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:25
Originally posted by austrianprogfan austrianprogfan wrote:

I know this is considered heretical, but:

Genesis - "Firth Of Fifth"

get out.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 09:47
I find that for a band to have a great song, 99.9% of the time they'll at least have others somewhere in the ballpark. The "one song far above all others" statement comes across to me as someone who hasn't delved deep enough into the artist's discography or given them enough of a fair try. I understand there may be legitimate exceptions but for me it's a very rare occurrence (and most likely pop oriented music/singles oriented artists, not prog). I used to think "Music From the Spheres" was by far the best Argent song, but then my opinion changed after more listens and now I want to get the albums. 

I dunno, maybe it's just me. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 10:55
I would prefer a thread "bands who have a signature song". a song that is immediately associated with them and always asked for as encores in live concerts.

examples would be "Der Elektrolurch" by Guru Guru or "Gamma Ray" by Birth Control

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 11:04
Judas Unrepentant - Big Big Train

I was very intrigued when I heard it so I went looking for more. 
I haven't heard anything else from them that comes close but I haven't heard all their stuff yet. 
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 12:18
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I would prefer a thread "bands who have a signature song". a song that is immediately associated with them and always asked for as encores
in live concerts.

Nothing prevents you from starting one, does it?

Edited by austrianprogfan - July 19 2018 at 12:18
kjprogger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:12
The song Milliontown by Frost far outshines anything else they’ve done.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 13:25
Can't think of one really, except for (I know they are not considered prog) the Rollin Stones' "She is Like a Rainbow" which is about ,the only song I like from them.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 19:02
Sniff & the Tears - "Driver's Seat".

Starcastle (Okay there are 2 here that were great) - "Lady of the Lake" which was a great prog epic and "When the Sun Shines at Midnight" which features a blazingly beautiful guitar solo. Their first and last songs.  All others sounded to much like a Yes clone.

I Pooh (listed under Italian Prog Rock) - "Parsifal"  Beautiful prog epic that they couldn't match in their long history.  They eventually became Italy's "Air Supply" clone. 

Edited by TCat - July 19 2018 at 19:07
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 19:12
For me "Dogs" blows the doors off the rest of Animals. It's by far my favorite track on the album. The other tracks aren't bad but they just don't come close to "Dogs" for me. This might be the only example I can think of for this thread. 
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2018 at 22:44
Haken - Cockroach King

Although in all fairness, I'm not familiar with them outside of The Mountain and a few scattered tracks.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 00:02
Hold Your Head Up - Argent. Superb! Head and shoulders over anything else they did - although God Gave Rock and Roll has a certain charm to it in second.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 02:16
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Sniff & the Tears - "Driver's Seat".
Oh yes, tried to listen to the rest of that album once. Useless. Here's ten "minor bands" where I find one song to be far above the rest of their material:

Alphataurus - La Mente Vola  
Spring - The Prisoner (Eight By Ten)
Mother Superior - No Time Toulouse Lautrec
Dashiell Hedayat - Cielo Drive, 17
New Trolls Atomic System - La Nuova Predica Di Padre O'Brien
Tantra - Maquina da Felicidade
Made in Germany - The Arrow And The Song
Stark Naked - All of Them Witches
Mellow Candle - Heaven Heath
Officina Meccanica - Suite Bambini Innocenti                  
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 02:50
Well I certainly wouldn't class Big Big Train, Haken or Manfred Mann's Earthband as one hit wonders. Their discographies are full of amazing stuff.

I'd go for King Crimson: the title track off their first album is the only great thing they've done.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 05:30
Beggars Opera -- Time Machine
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2018 at 05:36
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Well I certainly wouldn't class Big Big Train, Haken or Manfred Mann's Earthband as one hit wonders. Their discographies are full of amazing stuff.

I'd go for King Crimson: the title track off their first album is the only great thing they've done.

Dear me; definitely not.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>