Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some Martial Arts Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [6.25%]
3 [18.75%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [18.75%]
1 [6.25%]
1 [6.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Martial Arts Movies
    Posted: July 21 2018 at 22:14
Inspired by Dwill who mentioned The Karate Kid in my Cinema Fantastique poll, here are some martial arts films. Even if you've only seen one of these, feel free to vote, and multiple votes enabled for those who like more than one. I haven't seen all of these, but they are generally well regarded and I had at least heard of all of them (I did do film studies). I had wanted to include Drunken Wu-Tang, but added some more mainstream choices at the bottom of the list instead.

Feel free to mention any others not on the list, but mention any that you think you might have seen and like from this list please.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2018 at 22:16
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 03:52
Equilibrium is very cool movie starring Christian Bale, some good gunslinger moves
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 03:54
I regard Blade trilogy to be martial art based superhero movies whom is carried on the strength of Wesley Snipes martial art training. And has real martial art movie honorary sequences
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 05:42
From the list:
Enter the Dragon
Kung Fu Panda (all 3)
The Karate Kid

A few more:
Seven Samurai (consistently ranked as one of the best films ever made)
Above the Law (Steven Seagal)
Hard to Kill (Steven Seagal)
On Deadly Ground (Steven Seagal)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 07:22
two words

Chuck f**king Norris
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 07:45
First vote for Drunken Master! I far prefer the days where Jackie Chan just did Kung Fu to the comedy slap stick his style evolved into. Drunken Master contains the best fighting scenes I've ever seen...and they're done in real life without computers and ropes....also I've always had a thing for the original Kung Fu ie the animal styles. It isn't that hard to believe that some skinny guys once sat in a forest and got the idea to protect themselves better by replicating the gnarly ape who coincidentally also seems terribly skinny.
Anyways I've always found the movements - not necessarily the hits and kicks, or the katas as they say in Japanese, to be utterly beautiful. Somewhere between meditation and tai chi, perhaps both in motion.
Jet Li is one of my modern faves but he so rarely gets to show what he's got without guns, explosions and a great big flashing cornucopia of neon lights, trance music and different camera angles (more is always better). The odd time he has a quiet spot where he is caught training in the morning or some such thing he is graceful in a way that mimics certain birds and ballet dancers.

Oh btw where is American Ninja? Michael Dudikoff for the win!

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 22 2018 at 07:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:06
Love Drunken Master, David. I actually love some of Jackie Chan's Buster Keatonesque comedy choreoggraphy, it's quite clever. My wife's uncle was nicknamed Drunken Master. I have seen American Ninja, and I had been hoping to put various questionable films in the list.

Micky, Chuck Norris I thought of, but then I couldn't think of any good movies. In Sociology, I wrote a paper about ideology and propaganda, and that was one of the films that I delved into. Like Charlton Heston, I do find hhis politics rather off-putting, but I still like movies he's in, and unlike Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris doesn't seem a nice person (you can be a sweetheart and do martial arts). One will also notice an absence of Van Damme. Had a friend who loved The Delta Force. That said, I don't have to like a person, mind you, to enjoy their films and appreciate their artistry. I have problems with Roman Polanski, but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy his films.

My favourites are Kill Bill-- Quentin Tarantino plundered from a few films on this list methinks. Course that's kind of the point.   Anyway, I really love it. I think of it as one movie, which is how Taranatino wanted it to be released, but Part 2 is my favourite part.

I really like Enter the Dragon -- first film I saw when we got a converter for our TV set which enabled me to see some more channels based in Washington.
Drunken Master as said. Also Iron Monkey, Hero, Crouching Tiger, the Bride With White Hair, Equilibrium is cool. I do like the Matrix. etc. Won't vote, though, at least at this time, since that seems kind of weird in my own lists to vote.

And Icarium, yep Blade definitely would have fit. I thought of it and then forget. I prepared this quickly Some I remembered, and I used a couple of resources to remember ones since while there are martial arts movies that I love, it's not a really specialty of mine (I know much more about art house and sci-fi films).

Edited by Logan - July 22 2018 at 10:11
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:41
well you got Way of the Dragon. What rules more than a bad Chuck Norris v. Bruce Lee. Got my vote

but you did forget one of the classics and a Norris one at that.

iconic... what kid wasn't trying that after seeing this...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:15
Your clip convinced me; will watch that one. Thanks. :)

Incidentally, some ones that I considered:

Gymkata

american Commando Ninja:

As well as Shaolin Youth Possee. The Crippled Masters was on my list but I decided against it as I don't know if it's empowering for people with physical challenges or exploitative (could be both).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 12:43
Both of Chan's Drunken Master flicks are awesome.   Zhang Yimou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers are superb, and Bloodsport is surprisingly good considering it stars JCVD.

Voted for Drunken Master 1 and 2 .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 12:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Both of Chan's Drunken Master flicks are awesome.   Zhang Yimou's Hero and House of Flying Daggers are superb, and Bloodsport is surprisingly good considering it stars JCVD.

Voted for Drunken Master 1 and 2 .

Second time you've mentioned a film in these polls that I can't believe I missed.    House of Flying Daggers is excellent, and Zhang Yimou is one of my all-time favourite directors, so it becomes a more glaring omission.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 13:50
As an aside or merely a riff on the topic at hand, I would really like to see more flicks using the Keysie fighting style that was populized in a huge way through the recent Batman movies. Personally I'd love to see a more realistic setting for this fascinating and highly efficient style of fighting.
Come to think of it, some of the stuff Liam Neeson does in Taken reminds me of Keysie although it most likely has more to do with the Filipino Arnis.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 14:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

As an aside or merely a riff on the topic at hand, I would really like to see more flicks using the Keysie fighting style that was populized in a huge way through the recent Batman movies. Personally I'd love to see a more realistic setting for this fascinating and highly efficient style of fighting.
Come to think of it, some of the stuff Liam Neeson does in Taken reminds me of Keysie although it most likely has more to do with the Filipino Arnis.

Interesting, I'm not familiar with that style, and while my wife was born in the Philippines, I'm not familiar with Arnis.

As another aside:

The only martial artist that I know or remember that was born in the Philippines is the diminutive Weng Weng. He made a number of Filipino films such as The Cute... the Sexy n' the Tiny, The Impossible Kid of Kung Fu, For Y'ur Height Only, Agent 00, and Chopsuey Met Big Time Papa (as Big Time Papa, cause he's little, get it?)

Apparently he was a frequent visitor to the Marcos' residence. Side-note, wish I hadn't named my son Marcus, some Filipinos assume that he was named after Ferdinand Marcos.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2018 at 14:13
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 16:44

are you refairing to Bale Batmans fighting style or Afleck Batman fighting style, both had quite brutal bone crushing styles.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 17:15
"36 Chambers" is the only martial arts movie I ever liked

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 17:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Interesting, I'm not familiar with that style, and while my wife was born in the Philippines, I'm not familiar with Arnis.

As another aside:
The only martial artist that I know or remember that was born in the Philippines is the diminutive Weng Weng. He made a number of Filipino films such as The Cute... the Sexy n' the Tiny, The Impossible Kid of Kung Fu, For Y'ur Height Only, Agent 00, and Chopsuey Met Big Time Papa (as Big Time Papa, cause he's little, get it?)

Great points, I too loved the fighting style and choreography in the Nolan films (almost like 'Jailhouse Rock', a prison style based on having little room for normal martial arts movements and having to react quickly with no time for technique or strategy)--  realistic and great to finally see after decades of chopsocky nonsense.   I also love the Escrima/Arnis approach in the Jason Bourne movies.

Edited by Atavachron - July 22 2018 at 17:38
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 17:51
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

are you refairing to Bale Batmans fighting style or Afleck Batman fighting style, both had quite brutal bone crushing styles.

I'm sure he means the Bale--  Dawn of Justice had okay choreography but it was meant more for the camera, whereas the Nolan scenes were unusually realistic for two big guys with body armor like both the main characters wore.   Less freedom of movement, so traditional martial arts and the Brazilian-based groundfighting that has become so popular is not practical in the Batman world.

Anyone notice the brief rib-check Bane applies during the sewer fight scene? (when Bane says "...but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce, members of the League of Shadows.  And you betrayed us.").   That's the kind of detail that is easily missed but so great to martial artists, and rarely seen in fight scenes.

Edited by Atavachron - July 22 2018 at 18:05
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 18:06

Lots of good movies on the list, hard to pick..  One of my favorites not on the list is Tai Chi II.

One of the very few martial arts films where Tai Chi principles are actually being used in combat scenes.   Unlike most other movies where the tai chi practitioners use very little to no tai chi in battle.  There may be scenes where they practice the tai chi form, but when it comes to the actual fight scenes the principles of tai chi are abandoned.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 18:09
^ I've seen Taichi in competitive combat and it is surprisingly intense, nothing like the slow fluid movements one sees elderly people practicing in parks.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 18:23
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

ahhh...

*sounds of beer spray hitting monitor and Micky pissing himself and hitting the floor*

God bless this forum...  it took that to surpass the Diet Coke of Evil....

I can now make it official.. this thread rules...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>