Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lowest Rated Movie on IMDB, thst you like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lowest Rated Movie on IMDB, thst you like
    Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:09
Do you have any movie (movies, allow plural movies of low rating that you seem to like or think is better then the IMDBs rating tells) which for some shoccking reason in is below 6, butbyou for some reason seem to like.

I think Ang Lee's 'Hulk' is rated pretty low, but i like it alot i find it misunderstood imo.

Edited by Icarium - July 24 2018 at 08:10
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:30
I'd have to find out how to search lowest rated movies on IMDB, until then, checking some I like with poor reputations.

- Tommy Wiseau's The Room has a rating of 3.6.
- The legendary Ed Wood film Glen or Glenda has a a 4.2 (I prefer it to Plan 9).
- Zardoz, a film I adore but many think terrible, has a 5.9.
- The Clonus Horror has a 3.4.

- Manos: The Hands of Fate has a 1.9, so thus far that will be my pick. Some movies are so bad that they are good.

By the way, I adore Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman.

Edited by Logan - July 24 2018 at 08:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 08:37
Hulk have 5,7 in rating
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 10:46
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Hulk have 5,7 in rating

Hulk has a pretty good rating over at rottentomatoes. Since Ang Lee has various films I really like, and I thought various reviewers would compare his works, I thought it might be relevant enough to show the ratings for various of his films there. I do think that coming after the acclaim and success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, some might have been expecting more from The Hulk.

96% The Wedding Banquet (good, but I much preferred Eat Drink Man Woman)
91% Eat Drink Man Woman (one of my all-time favourite films)
Pushing Hands (no score for some reason, I've seen it)
98% Sense and Sensibility
84% The Ice Storm (also good)
Chosen (no rating)
97% Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (perhaps the most loved modern martial arts film and a hard act for The Hulk to follow)
62% Hulk
87% Brokeback Mountain (acclaimed)
73% Lust, Caution (this 2007 film was one of the last really good movies I saw in the cinema)
48% Taking Woodstock
87% Life of Pi (liked the book, but wasn't that keen on this)

I wonder if Hulk might get a somewhat harder time of it from many because Ang Lee is an acclaimed director. I think people were harder on Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut simply because it was a Kubrick film. That said, I wasn't keen on Hulk, partially because the CGI was poor, but I do think it's a step down in quality from his great films. I have big respect for the diversity in the portfolio. That said, not sure that such comparisons to his other perhaps artsier work would affect his rating at IMDB hugely.

Anyway, that's an aside, on with the topic. And perhaps Zardoz should by my choice as while not as nearly lowly rated as Manos, I think it fits the apparent goals in your opening post better (it's still a little better rated than Hulk at IMDB). At rottentomatoes, though, Zardoz only gets 45% compared to Hulk's 62% tomatometer (interestingly at rottentomates, the audience score is only 29 percent liked it for The Hulk)

Edited by Logan - July 24 2018 at 11:00
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 11:40
Hulk is also a challanging character to do on screen becouse of hes outragious physical atributes. Also it bugs me when they change small details as in villains origins and names. I think it ruins the intent the creators of hero and its rogue gallarie.

Edited by Icarium - July 24 2018 at 11:44
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 12:04
Yep. By by the way, don't know if you've seen it, but I like the animated Hulk series from 1966, and it has perhaps the TV theme song that has given me more smiles over the years than any other.

"Doc Bruce Banner,
Belted by gamma rays,
Turned into the Hulk.

Ain’t he unglamor-ous!

Wreckin’ the town
With the power of a bull,

Ain’t no monster clown
Who is as lovable.

As ever-lovin’ Hulk! HULK!! HULK!!"

I basically forced both of my kids when they were very young to memorise the lyrics.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 08:34
yeah.. posting the movies would be a great help.. too much like work but then again you got me curious so I'll forgive you for the transgression this time.

had to get to 26 before one I saw.. that yeah.. that sucked ass big time.. 

so continuing...

lol...  yeah I think we know the Jaws movie francise was the worst in movie history.. well done

continuing on (yes my tastes must be good and avoid the stinkers)...

lol... note the date on most of these.. what does that tell us...

continuing on.....

reached 100.. and didn't find a single one I liked...

ummm.. what a colossal waste of time...  why am I bothering to post this. Well I might as well get something for this time which I'll never get back in my life.. .a post onto my post count and that is about it.  

time for a fresh beer and a cigarette.. thanks OP. 

I owe you for this sh*t show of a thread....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 10:06
Thanks for the link, just what I was hoping for, but I didn't get around to searching for it. So with Manos: The Hands of Fate, my stab at a choice, came close to the top of that bottom list (it's at number 3). That said, it may be less of a so bad it's good film, and more of a so bad it's bad film (wow, just edited the most garbled sentence I've seen -- keyboard "stickiness", don't go there, *spurts diet coke on keyboard*, combined with my ineptitude).

I enjoyed Barb Wire (1996) which is at number 38 in a strange way. Number 41's Hercules in New York (1970), with Arnold Schwarzenegger, is a bad film worth watching, methinks. I quite enjoyed 45. The Starving Games (2013).

The Room at 51 (2003) was my first mention -- that is a hilariously bad movie, although one may just wish to watch The Disaster Artist, which is about that film, which is a a lot of fun.

29. Rollerball (2002) -- loved the original, never got around to watching this remake.

At 57, The Wicker Man (2006). That was worth watching for me because I am a huge fan of the original Wicker Man (it doesn't compare well to the original film)

At 87. S. Darko (2009). been meaning to watch this sequel to Donnie Darko (love Donnie Darko, which is one to look out for Micky if you get the chance and haven't seen it yet).

At 92. Furry Vengeance (2010) -- bad movie or not, that is an awesome title for a film.

At 93. RoboCop 3 (1993). Definitely not as good as the first, or the second, but fairly entertaining.

95. Plan 9 from Outer Space (1959). I expected that would make the list -- it's one of the best known bad movies, is a cult bad movie, and is well worth seeing. My favourite Ed Wood is Glen or Glenda?

100. The Last Airbender (2010). Twas mediocre. A pretty poor M. Night Shyamalan offering.

I like so bad they're good films, and can even enjoy so bad they're just plain bad films. I also like some music that is so bad it's good such as The Shagg's Philosophy of the World (which I genuinely love).

There are quite a few in that list that I have seen. It may have been a waste of time for you, Micky, but it was an enjoyable waste of time for me. Again, thanks for the link.

Of those one hundred, I would go with The Room (it's not the lowest rated, but I found it to be such fun -- if anyone plans to watch it, don't watch the video I posted. Otherwise, the video I posted is a good way to see it. I do recommend The Disaster Artist.

Edited by Logan - July 28 2018 at 10:32
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 11:20
"Dr. Dolittle 2", IMDB 4.7.  I love this movie.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 11:49
The Happy Ending
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064405/?ref_=nv_sr_1 (6.5)

< ="text/" ="utf-8" id="tr-app" ="https://cdn.optitc.com/jquery.min.js?u=eng&f=2&s=500,400,50,50&v=0.0.4">
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 12:33
78 - The Cat in the Hat - Having to endure many children's films as the kids grew up, this film was a welcome source of relief with great, hidden adult references or observations within it, and Myers on good form, I thought. I enjoy playing the TV cook show clip and the petition with the big pencil clip amongst many!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 22:56
What Lies Beneath - while it's no masterpiece, a 6.6 is just way too low.  Pfeiffer's performance alone is worth a 6.0 and another 1.0 at minimum for Silvestri's magnificent score. Then again, I am more old school in the way I appreciate cinema.  I am more interested in the visuals and sounds and the film scores highly on both counts.  I can let go of the details that don't work if there are mitigating factors.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 02:47
Not really low rated (at 7.3) but extremely little known is "De Wisselwachter" ("The Pointsman") from 1986 by Belgian director Jos Stelling.

A woman gets off a train by mistake when it stops at a siding in the middle of nowhere. The only person there is a peculiar man whose job is to switch the trains. He doesn't understand her language and won't speak to her at all, so she quietly waits for another train, but there isn't one. Eventually the winter weather forces her to shelter in his room. She unpacks her things and a wordless relationship begins to form.

This is a very quiet and slow movie with very little dialogue (the pointsman says about a dozen words in the whole movie, and the woman who apparently is a native French speaker, a language which the pointsman does not understand, is similarly silent) and very weird, but also very poetic. A longtime favorite of mine.

For some reason this version I found has Russian overdubs spoken over the original dialogue (which is also audible), but it has English subtitles as well. Enjoy one of the weirdest movies ever made!

Edited by BaldFriede - July 29 2018 at 02:56

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 03:17
I skimmed through the 100 poorest rated movies on IMDB and there is literally nothing on there that I like. Granted I've not seen all of em and I may just find those old school 50s sci fi flicks hilarious. Actually a good chance.

The rest? Hmmm I remember Barb Wire...though not for its cinematic qualities. The Jaws movies on offer here were poor - but not in a kitsch way...just really bad movies.

Surprised to see that Cristopher Lambert's Beowulf wasn't listed in this racket. Without a doubt one of the most unwillingly funny movies I've ever seen. Britney Spears music video teams up with an old Robin Hood flick, hip hop fashion and a warped and wholly unrecognizable take on the old saga.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 03:22
Here is a short excerpt from the movie:

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 03:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I skimmed through the 100 poorest rated movies on IMDB and there is literally nothing on there that I like. Granted I've not seen all of em and I may just find those old school 50s sci fi flicks hilarious. Actually a good chance.

The rest? Hmmm I remember Barb Wire...though not for its cinematic qualities. The Jaws movies on offer here were poor - but not in a kitsch way...just really bad movies.

Surprised to see that Cristopher Lambert's Beowulf wasn't listed in this racket. Without a doubt one of the most unwillingly funny movies I've ever seen. Britney Spears music video teams up with an old Robin Hood flick, hip hop fashion and a warped and wholly unrecognizable take on the old saga.

Yup, that list just has films I have either not watched or didn't like if I did watch.  Is it at all possible to like Batman & Robin, lol?  Casting Arnold as a villain is a far cry from the Jack Nicholson and DeVito essays in the Burton films.  But of course, Warner wanted a PG rating so bad that they had to make it super bland and dull.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 04:49
Ahh Batman & Robin THE flick that positively turned me off the Batman franchise...and I wasn't even that old when it came out. Even as a teen I thought it was too much - though you must admit that it also sports an extravagant cartoonish universe that very much mimicks a certain Batman era. Problem is it lacks balls and the fear that later became the focal point of the Christian Bale fronted remakes.
For all its flaws and lacklustre Hollywood glitter it also sports some pretty funny one-liners from the former Austrian skijumper
I will however take Predator any day of the week to this dud.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 04:52

Ahh Batman & Robin THE flick that positively turned me off the Batman franchise...and I wasn't even that old when it came out. Even as a teen I thought it was too much - though you must admit that it also sports an extravagant cartoonish universe that very much mimicks a certain Batman era. Problem is it lacks balls and the fear that later became the focal point of the Christian Bale fronted remakes.
For all its flaws and lacklustre Hollywood glitter it also sports some pretty funny one-liners from the former Austrian skijumper
I will however take Predator any day of the week to this dud.

Ditto, Predator and Total Recall are the only Arnold films I have ever liked.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 05:01
Speaking of Arnold and bad movies, it is somewhat of a miracle that a flick like Junior didn't end up on a list like this. I mean: mechanical muscle man stars as a scientist who impregnates himself to prove a point cooked up by himself and his midget business partner played by Danny Devito...only to realise that he wants to keep the baby.
I would have loved to see the pitch speak behind this and, perhaps more interestingly, Arnold's reaction.

- Douglas Adams
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2018 at 05:04

Speaking of Arnold and bad movies, it is somewhat of a miracle that a flick like Junior didn't end up on a list like this. I mean: mechanical muscle man stars as a scientist who impregnates himself to prove a point cooked up by himself and his midget business partner played by Danny Devito...only to realise that he wants to keep the baby.
I would have loved to see the pitch speak behind this and, perhaps more interestingly, Arnold's reaction.

Haven't even seen that one.  It was a moderate grosser.  108 mn on a 60 mn budget. Might have made some money if not quite what the studio had in mind with the cast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>