Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Films with Religious or Spiritual Themes or Refs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Films with Religious or Spiritual Themes or Refs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Choose any favourites and list your own
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.35%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
20 [29.41%]
13 [19.12%]
5 [7.35%]
1 [1.47%]
2 [2.94%]
5 [7.35%]
2 [2.94%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.47%]
1 [1.47%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Films with Religious or Spiritual Themes or Refs
    Posted: July 30 2018 at 14:18
Now this is a really wide-open topic, and this list is merely the tip of the iceberg since I'm open to anything with religious or spiritual themes, could be occult, pagan, any religion or any religious reference. Basically this is the rateyourmusic of films, as so much goes. The list is merely a starting point, and these are just the first I thought of. The Bothersome Man is not really about religion, for instance, but it has a concept of the after life, so I wanted to include it (love the Japanese film I paired it with). There are various ones that one might question.

So choose any off the list, or list your own. I have gone outside my favourites (say, with The Ten Commandments).
Multiple choice enabled.

EDIT: Have added in some others. Multiple choice enabled. And the "or" can mean "and" for my purposes.

Edited by Logan - July 31 2018 at 10:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 14:58
I could have even included films like Zardoz.

Here's a nice short that I think works well with this topic:

Edited by Logan - July 30 2018 at 14:58
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 17:04
Any Monty Python movie, or The Exorcist. Either way, it's all silly. You could have added A Man for all Seasons because it's so damn well acted.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 17:28
"De vierde Man" ("The Fourth Man") by Paul Verhoeven is full of religious symbolism right from the start

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 18:15
Greg, yes, it’s a very wide net, but they all have things in common. I questioned including films such as the Exorcist, but The Life of Brian was a must because of what it has to say and because of the reaction from certain religious people to it.

Most of these have Christian symbolism or allusions, and I would have liked to cover more belief systems from around the world.

Jean, very good call, and religious symbolism is what I’m most looking for.

Some others that I wish I had included include The Little Prince and the Narnia ones. There are many ones full of symbolism that would have been good for this list.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 20:50
another one full of religious symbolism of any belief system is "La montaña sagrada" ("The Holy Mountain") by Alejandro Jodorowsky. also an extremely weird movie for which Friede and I have a special liking due to the opening scene Wink

Edited by BaldJean - July 30 2018 at 21:03

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 21:42
Holy Mountain is a great film, and I wish I'd included it. That's the kind of film that this poll should have been all about I think.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 04:04
Though I love the Wicker Man (I wish that Comus did the s/t music), I have to emphasize Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ which is not listed. The movie, like the novel, works on so some many levels, that its mind blowing. When St. Paul tells Defoe's Christ that he would have invented Christ's death and resurrection in order to make believers happy, I cannot help feeling echoes of the truth in that statement. An amazing film that should really be on your list.

Edited by SteveG - July 31 2018 at 04:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 04:10
One more vote for Aguirre - love that one to bits. Not too crazy about the danish choice here. Never been much of a Gabriel Axel fan even if both my grandfather and father have worked together with him via movies but mostly the theatre.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 04:21
I was surprised I saw about half of the movies in this list

Two clear winners IMHO

Greeeeeen Man and Jésus de Montréal (which got my vote)

======================

Jean, when I saw that Jodorowski movies (along with the rest of his filmography at a festival a couple of years ago, I thought of you two.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 04:29
"Quo Vadis" has to be given a nod due to the extraordinary performance of Peter Ustinov.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 07:12
Agree 100%. Ustinov was also outstanding in Spartacus and helped to make that movie a classic.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 07:27
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Though I love the Wicker Man (I wish that Comus did the s/t music), I have to emphasize Scorsese's The Last Temptation of Christ which is not listed. The movie, like the novel, works on so some many levels, that its mind blowing. When St. Paul tells Defoe's Christ that he would have invented Christ's death and resurrection in order to make believers happy, I cannot help feeling echoes of the truth in that statement. An amazing film that should really be on your list.

Comus and The Wicker I often compare (they really remind me of each other), but I really love the Wicker Man soundtrack. I only have about six albums on my new phone, one is First Utterance and another is The Wicker Man soundtrack. As for The Last Temptation of Christ, I did list it (may be hard to spot tucked between Quo Vadis and The Apostle). I like the film a great deal, and, rather like with Life of Brian, I thought the level of controversy and reaction surrounding it quite ridiculous even if not quite as ridiculous as, say, the reaction to the Muhammad cartoons.

Edited by Logan - July 31 2018 at 07:30
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 08:18
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Comus and The Wicker I often compare (they really remind me of each other), but I really love the Wicker Man soundtrack. I only have about six albums on my new phone, one is First Utterance and another is The Wicker Man soundtrack. As for The Last Temptation of Christ, I did list it (may be hard to spot tucked between Quo Vadis and The Apostle). I like the film a great deal, and, rather like with Life of Brian, I thought the level of controversy and reaction surrounding it quite ridiculous even if not quite as ridiculous as, say, the reaction to the Muhammad cartoons.
Oops! I've always had a knack for missing the obvious. ;) I'm not dissing the Wicker Man soundtrack as it's a classic too, but come on, there's still nothing on Earth like Comus!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 09:56
As:
Andrei Rublev
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Monty Python's Life of Brian (& Holy Grail or Meaning of Life really)
+Antichrist & Wicker Man (although I guess the three first has had a stronger impact on my life) are all among my favourite films ever, I can't really vote for one of them over the others. 

I'd add the 1922 movie Haxan if it was my poll.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 10:06
Good call on Haxan, and that's one I should thought of being such a big Art Zoyd fan. By the way, like my other recent polls, this one is multiple choice, so you don't have to choose any one over the others (vote for as many as you like).

Edited by Logan - July 31 2018 at 10:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 10:18

Good call on Haxan, and that's one I should thought of being such a big Art Zoyd fan. By the way, like my other recent polls, this one is multiple choice, so you don't have to choose any one over the others (vote for as many as you like).
Oh right. I'll start my votes then. Saw Haxan accompanied by something of a electronic/experimental live performance a couple of years ago - which was fantastic. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 10:25
Could have voted for Antichrist*/The Exorcist if it wasn't paired with The Exorcist or any of The Omens as I think The Omen is just OK and the follow-up was terrible - and I never bothered with the last.

*Guess i would have paired it with Melancholia as I consider it Von Trier's take on Book of Revelation/Apocalypse of John - to an extent. And also a favorite of mine.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 10:30
I think I'm going to edit in suggestions to the list plus some more of my own. I especially think I should of thought of Holy Mountain and Haxan. And I'm adding "De vierde Man" as The Fourth Man.

Despite TheDarkElf's apparent sarcastic tone (genuinely love his acerbic and often dry sense of humour) about A Man For All Seasons, a film about Thomas More, does fit, so I'm adding it.

And I will add The Little Prince and Narnia films

There's one in particular I thought about adding called Tree of Life when I made the poll which has a definite connection to religion beyond just the title (which comes from the Bible). I'm adding it too.

I'm tempted to add Conan The Barbarian, but I won't (at least not now). ;)

Oh, and I did think about adding Melancholia, a film I love, but opted not to (or more accurately, I was thinking about it, moved on, and then forgot about it, which happens to me a lot these days), will add, but I'll add it to the Breaking the Waves option. Lots of von Trier could fit methinks.

EDIT: Done those additions, think I got them all (not necessarily paired well, but...)

Edited by Logan - July 31 2018 at 10:46
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 10:47

Oh, and I did think about adding Melancholia, a film I love, but opted not to, will add, but I'll add it to the Breaking the Waves option. Lots of von Trier could fit methinks.
Breaking the Waves is perhaps the (more) obvious choice but its just not among my personal favorites. But yeah Von Trier is one of the last serious artists (that gets any attention) in the seemingly brain drained movie business.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>