Message Reverse Sort Order
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Cheap" but good integrated Cd players
    Posted: September 16 2005 at 14:19
...of course my current digital system:

Drive Sonic frontiers SFT-1 + converter Goldmund Mimesis 14 + Nordost digital cable
beats all the Cd players presented up.

The inside of my converter:
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:59
Yes, true.
Maybe it's worst in hifi because of money interest.
The best mag is the american one "Stereophile".
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:47
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

Don't rely on awards. They don't mean much.

It depends who gives them...

Anyway i also prefer NAD

Well, the problem with awards is the same than the reviews. They are bought by the brands.

Just as music reviews, you can learn to diffrence the bad ones after experience with the reviewer and the magazine itself. It took me many years to find a musical reviewer wich is soo good i can agree with about 90% of what he says...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:44
Yes, Nad is miles better than little Marantz.

Much more neutral and it makes some tight low compared to the Marantz which dribbles in the low and is colored in the highs.

Nad is much more natural.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:42

Anyway i also prefer NAD

Well, the problem with awards is the same than the reviews. They are bought by the brands.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:41
One more time, it's not too bad. Better than our crappy french players Micromega or Atoll, and i think it's better than Cambridge audio.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:41

Anyway i also prefer NAD

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:22

Good cheap Cd player

Marantz cd 5400

Not TOO bad, but i really prefer the Nad. The low is tighter and cleaner and the highs are more neutral than on the Marantz.
This kind of Marantz is not part of the bad, but not of the good too.

Ah well this won the best budget cd player award in 2004-2005 but i guess it is all a matter of taste...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:21
On another hand, the Marantz CD12+ DA12 (old and very high end drive/converter)is an absolute reference.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:19

Good cheap Cd player

Marantz cd 5400

Not TOO bad, but i really prefer the Nad. The low is tighter and cleaner and the highs are more neutral than on the Marantz.
This kind of Marantz is not part of the bad, but not of the good too.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:17
Creek CD53

Here's the technical description by the manufacturer.
You'll find some answering elements:

The CD53 physically matches the 5350 amplifier with 10mm thick machined alloy silver front panel and vacuum fluorescent function display. It's circuitry has been designed to achieve the best performance money can buy, limited only by the standards set for CD players and component availability. Inside its 2 mm thick alloy case, lies a Philips CDM12 transport with CD7 chipset running on neoprene sound isolation washers.

Custom Creek software runs in a microcontroller to control the entire mechanism and display functions. Speed and silence of operation, together with the ability to read CDR and CDRW discs are the essence of this new player. Advanced error correction algorithms work hard to read every bit of information, thus providing a better signal for the Digital to Analogue Converter to work with.

The rugged Philips laser transport and digital control circuitry has been matched to the highest quality Crystal Semi-conductor delta-sigma D to A converter boasting 24 bit 192kHz resolution capability. Analogue filtering is now performed using fully balanced circuitry and 0.1% precision resistors and 1% tolerance film capacitors that achieves a level of performance previously not seen in CD players. This results in a fast operating CD player with sound quality well ahead of much higher priced players, in the true Creek mould.
With a new customised ultra low jitter master clock and extra circuitry to reduce jitter from the Digital signal Processor, the CD53 truly sings. A re-clocked, low jitter, transformer coupled, co-axial and optical digital output makes it possible to fully realise the potential of high-end stand alone DAC, provided the correct type of interconnect is used.

To provide a useful upgrade path, the D to A converter, high quality master clock generator, jitter reduction circuitry and regulated power supplies are sited on a separate printed circuit board that can be removed and replaced by new or emerging technologies in the future.

Two high grade grain-oriented steel mains transformers, feeding low impedance, high temperature, capacitors and separate stabilised power supplies for digital and analogue sections, provides the highest degree of isolation and lowest noise performance possible. Front panel controls include Play, Stop, Pause, Open/Close, Skip Forward, Skip Back, Search Forward, Search Back, Shuffle, Repeat and Standby functions. They are supplemented by a modest sized full feature RC5 type remote control handset.

The rear panel now has a mains switch, together with the usual fused IEC mains inlet. Gold plated Phono/RCA's for the (un-balanced) analogue output are complimented by two professional 3 pin XLR sockets for balanced audio output. Digital outputs are via a transformer coupled co-axial SPDIF Phono/RCA and TORX optical types.

A new feature for Creek equipment is the ability to place the CD53 into Standby mode, which blanks the display, reducing the power supply consumption to a minimum. Operating any local or remote key will wake it up.
To maintain low levels of interference, the user interface is via a low current consumption vacuum florescent green digital display. This places very little demand on the power supply and helps to achieve high visibility even in difficult light conditions.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:17

Good cheap Cd player

Marantz cd 5400

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:10
Good players have been optmized "with the ears".

Inside of Creek CD50

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 07:06
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Don't even bother, Mike! 

Let's see what maidenrulez says about the players ...

BTW: It's strange that there should be players which are more suitable for Rock than others ... I guess that the "musical" players really alter the signal (smoothening through means of upsampling, and maybe even applying eqs and low pass filters to cut off or at least dampen the high frequencies). 

It's an obsession!
Actually, the player is limited by its performances.
For example, the little Nad doesn't go very far in low and high, but what he does, he does it well.

There are many things that make the sound of a player.
To answer your question: the converter and the algorythms used give a sound signature. The analog output stage used after the converter, the quality of mechanic too . BTW, most integrated players features poor plastic drawers, except the Naim with their original steel manual drawer and the Linn Ikemi (but it's already a "big" as it costs 3000€ new)features a solid steel drawer.
Each component gives his own sound, the power alimentations are very important, the quality of the box plays its role on device's vibratory behaviour. And i forget many things.
So there's an alchemy of all these factors that make the musicality and the performances of a player.

The inside of the beast: Linn Ikemi

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 06:35
^ thanks maidenrulez, that makes sense to me. Another reason to buy the Creative X-Fi sound card ... it has some of the features of musical players. And I can activate/deactivate the feature easily and compare the sound.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 06:28

Don't even bother, Mike! 

BTW: It's strange that there should be players which are more suitable for Rock than others ... I guess that the "musical" players really alter the signal (smoothening through means of upsampling, and maybe even applying eqs and low pass filters to cut off or at least dampen the high frequencies). 

Now infact aslong you get a decent amp and some decent headphones you dont really need to get all expansive on the cd-player...anyways if you get a cheap amp and a cheap cd player and then get some "high" end headphones you get a really great sound wich is more than enough for me...But if you want the same quality sound through speakers you need a better amp and a better cd player and some reasonable speakers

But in what way does the CD player affect the sound?

Ah yes there are basically two different types of high end cd players...there are neutral ones wich is supposed to just reflect the original recording and perhaps its flaws and errors ruthlessy. And there are more musical ones wich affects the sound and will make it differ from the original recording. Infact i prefer the neutral amps, and i would like to think that most high end amps does not affect the sound in any other way that preserving it and delivering it as closely as the original recording as possible

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 06:21

Don't even bother, Mike! 

Now infact aslong you get a decent amp and some decent headphones you dont really need to get all expansive on the cd-player...anyways if you get a cheap amp and a cheap cd player and then get some "high" end headphones you get a really great sound wich is more than enough for me...But if you want the same quality sound through speakers you need a better amp and a better cd player and some reasonable speakers

But in what way does the CD player affect the sound?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 06:18

Don't even bother, Mike! 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 06:11

Don't even bother, Mike! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>