Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1978: Attahk of the killer Tormato

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [45.90%]
33 [54.10%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1978: Attahk of the killer Tormato
    Posted: August 10 2018 at 17:45
With this idea, I might just have to dodge an attahk of rotten tormatoes.

In case you don't know both albums, here is the longest song off each album.

"Dondai (To an Eternal Love)":

"On the Silent Wings of Freedom"

Just a fanboy passin' through.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 19:15
I use to listen to the instrumental opening of On the silent wings of freedom---on repeat---Howes guitar at the end right before vocals come in is so great---Howe Squire and White never repeated this kind of exciting groove on any later albums --why I don't know.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 19:49
I've always loved Tormato more than most but Attahk is fairly meh in my world.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 19:56
Tormato for sure. I would place Tormato over most of Magma's albums, except for the first one. Tormato is full of unrealized potential. As Rick Wakeman once said, if they had spent more time developing some of the tunes, they might now be among the most-cherished Yes tunes. As it is, Don't Kill the Whale, Future Times, and On the Silent Wings of Freedom are up there in the list. I like Tormato far better than Drama, although still only three stars.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 20:50
Kobaia is my favourite Magma album. I hadn't much liked Attahk at first, aside from one track not "Dondai", as I found it deliciously silly, but it's an album that I found myself playing on vacation a lot after having owned it for years, and it just fit my mood at the time. Both Tormato and Attahk can be rather silly, and that's fun. I happen to love Attahk, although I wouldn't rate it as high as various other Magma albums. "Nono" is probably my favourite track off it.

Aside from any similarities when it comes to any absurdity in both, and of course aside from my excuse at making an Attack of the Killer Tomatoes play on words, which is really more than enough reason as this site can never have too much humour, lame or not, I was interested to see how they would fare up against each other as Tormato has a 2.98 average score with 1407 ratings, while Magma has a 3.69 score with 330 ratings. Perhaps people are being harder on Tormato in the ratings because it is such a beloved by many band.

Here is a positive review of each album:

Attahk:

Originally posted by MovingPictures07 MovingPictures07 wrote:

Zeuhl like you've never heard it before!
Many people overlook this album by Magma and I'm not really sure why. It is an extremely unique album, even among Zeuhl albums, and the funky edge is extremely welcomed from this reviewer. Isn't prog supposed to progress? I'm surprised at the reactions for this album, as the new grounds covered in this album really expanded the Zeuhl sound.

1. The Last Seven Minutes- Woah! What a way to start. I have seen videos of this live and the drumming is AMAZING. This has to be one of my favorite Vander drumming performances of all time, and everything about this song is pure Magma genius. The vocals are fantastic, and the instrumentation is perfectly upbeat. Danceable Zeuhl? The piano towards the end gives me goosebumps every time. Flawless. 10+/10

2. Spiritual- Gospel Zeuhl. as much as I do not like Gospel type music at all, I extremely enjoy this song, and that is probably the best way to describe it. This is a very pleasant song; definitely a unique step in the Magma catalog. Extremely upbeat and wonderfully executed! 9/10

3. Rinde- This is an absolutely beautiful song, featuring great vocal work from Stella and heavenly piano. Too bad it's so short. 10/10

4. Liriik Necronomicus Kanht- If you thought the vocals were weird before, just listen to this. All of the instruments create a fusion of sounds to perfection once more, and it all explodes in a masterful 5 minute onslaught. Everything comes together so perfectly that it is tough to describe through words. Genius! 10/10

5. Maahnt- From the futuristic opening, this is a haunting piece. The vocals here are hilarious. Try not tapping your foot especially to this one! 10/10

6. Dondai- A more peaceful contrast to the previous two songs, with a piano and drum-driven laid back atmosphere. This still continues the new style of Zeuhl that has been used all throughout the album in an extremely effective song structure and instrumentation. The bass line is hypnotic and the building vocals are masterfully sung. 9/10

7. Nono- A great closer! It continuously builds and builds until reaching a very neat keyboard part. This is, along with the opener, the highest point of the album. Magma that you shouldn't miss! This has a very demented, yet upbeat and futuristic feel to it. Flawless. 10+/10

If you haven't heard this, what are you waiting for?

A very unique addition to the Zeuhl catalog from Magma, but no less genius and way too overlooked.

Tormato:

Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Rejoice! Don't Kill The Yes!

I'm surprised to see so many people, even many people whose musical tastes I generally share, trash this album. I think this is an excellent album! Wakeman's keyboards are excellent and all over the place. The band allow themselves to have fun here, as opposed to on the very serious and classical sounding Going For the One album. Indeed, the slightly more cheerful feeling reminds more of Fragile than any other 70's Yes album.

I also feel that the five individual members are allowed equal space on this album. Steve's guitars and Rick's keyboards are given an equal amount of space. Rick even get a co-writing credit for the beautiful Madrigal (something unusual on Yes albums). Chris' bass is loud and bottom and sounds great (as usual). Jon's vocals are also great (as usual) and Alan hands in some great drumming.

In my opinion this is yet another fantastic Yes album, and I generally prefer it to the somewhat sterile Going For the One. There is no Awaken here, but the album as a whole is more consistent.

An underrated and often misunderstood album. Highly recommended!

Edited by Logan - August 10 2018 at 20:53
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 22:37
I'm a huge Tormato supporter; an album that I think is truly underrated. I put it about 7 to 8 out of 10. Never really understood the production criticisms either, as it has a much snappier sound than the clouded-in-reverb Going For the One.  

Attahk is an album I just got into recently, and it's hella fun! Unfortunately I mistakenly bought Russian knock-off CD's of Attahk and the debut. I was really bummed to discover it too since they weren't cheap. Don't buy from Russia! Anyway, I knew "The Last Seven Minutes" from it long before I got the album and it's one of my favourite pieces of music of all time. Such propulsive energy with equal parts beauty. Never fails to get me goin'!

So it's close, but I went with Attahk.    
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 23:01
Not big Attahk-fan (I think it´s Magma´s worst album right after Üdü Wüdü) but it´s still better than Tormato, so my vote goes to it.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 01:42
Attahk is probably Magma's weakest 70's album - but then again Magma doesn't have any weak 70's albums and I love it. Not the biggest Yes-fan to begin with and Tomato I might have listened to only once. Can't remember anything except for not enjoying it at all.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 02:55
Tormato is very underrated in my opinion, the opening track is quite good, and the album closer "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" is a masterpiece tbh.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 04:15
Tormato is the nadir of Yes's 70's output and Attahk is not among the best in Magma's catalog. Attahk is the better of these two imo. The songs in the first post are the best of these albums in my book. (Dondai is great).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 07:51
^ For me it's Nono, that one just really gets to me, but Dondai is great. I like the whole album.

At first the track I loved was "Liriïk Necronomicus Kahnt'. That was one of the first songs I heard of Magma (before I had the album), and the fun weirdness I loved. I guess it relates to the first Magma song I loved, which is ""Iss" Lanseï Doïa" off 1001° Centigrades, as it is also fun and put a big smile on my face. "Hhai" was another early favourite, and it makes me feel good. For me, Attahk is feel good, uplifting music, and I can move to it. When the record ends, I usually feel great, despite that irritating high frequency noise. Kobaia, 1001° Centigrades, Retrospektïẁ (Parts I+II) and Attahk are the album I tend to return to the most.

Going to share "Nono" for those that haven't heard the album.

Thanks for all the responses -- it's a pleasure to read your posts. It's really great to hear opinions on both albums.

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Not big Attahk-fan (I think it´s Magma´s worst album right after Üdü Wüdü) but it´s still better than Tormato, so my vote goes to it.

That is an unusual opinion, not that there's anything wrong with unorthodox opinions of course. Most people, as I'm sure you're aware but at least in the interests of a larger audience that may not know Magma well perusing this thread, put Merci lower than both Üdü Wüdü and Attahk (I haven't heard Magma's latest). I like Merci particularly for the B side. Üdü Wüdü has never been a favourite of mine -- been years since I last listened to it. I like the particular energy of Attahk.

Holy Attahk of the Captcha: throws rotten tormatoes at it (try, try, try, try, try, try, try again).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 08:36
Rotten Tormato it is!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 08:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ For me it's Nono, that one just really gets to me, but Dondai is great. I like the whole album.

At first the track I loved was "Liriïk Necronomicus Kahnt'. That was one of the first songs I heard of Magma (before I had the album), and the fun weirdness I loved. I guess it relates to the first Magma song I loved, which is ""Iss" Lanseï Doïa" off 1001° Centigrades, as it is also fun and put a big smile on my face. "Hhai" was another early favourite, and it makes me feel good. For me, Attahk is feel good, uplifting music, and I can move to it. When the record ends, I usually feel great, despite that irritating high frequency noise. Kobaia, 1001° Centigrades, Retrospektïẁ (Parts I+II) and Attahk are the album I tend to return to the most.
Although they are so much more than just fun (including very, very dark) - Magma to me is really the most fun band in the universe. More often than not there's something fundamentally joyous to their musical bombastic arrangements, use of voice and general theatrics. The out there wickedness of some of their early stuff such as Stöah, Ki Ïahl Ö Lïahk mm... (including the ones you mention) makes me smile and even laugh a lot more often than most "funny" Zappa-songs. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 14:55
Tormato gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 17:31
I rate Attakh pretty highly on the Magma scale. I love most everything they did, but that one hits the spot like none other when I’m in a certain mood. Tormato isn’t bad (underrated in my view) but Magma wins easily for me.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 17:33
YES
E  E
SEY
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 17:58
Attahk is not among the top Magma albums for me and then I don't find Tormato that bad. So it's a tight affair but still Attahk wins.
I'll take what some wrote here as an inspiration to give Attahk another spin or two and then also Tormato because I feel they both may have some potential still to unveil for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 19:14
In my experience, Attahk is best listened to by the pool while sipping margaritas at a tropical resort, or whatever substitute comes closest (like drinking beer in the car park of your nearest public swimming pool).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 23:55
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

That is an unusual opinion, not that there's anything wrong with unorthodox opinions of course. Most people, as I'm sure you're aware but at least in the interests of a larger audience that may not know Magma well perusing this thread, put Merci lower than both Üdü Wüdü and Attahk (I haven't heard Magma's latest). I like Merci particularly for the B side. Üdü Wüdü has never been a favourite of mine -- been years since I last listened to it. I like the particular energy of Attahk.
Attahk was the first album I heard from Magma, just because it was the only their album in the local library and that was time when I didn´t have spotify, also in youtube there wasn´t then whole albums. I thought about Attahk then that it was really personal album, but it just didn´t hit me, I believe because it´s quite fusion nature. Because I had long loved 1966-1972-albums, I thought I should listen at least their first album from 1970. Some years ago someone put it into youtube and I loved it immediately. But it was last year, when buying ticket to Magma gig about half years before the gig, I started to listen their whole discography. About Üdü Wüdü I know also one friend who wasn´t very excited about it, I recommended the first album and he also liked it much more. I don´t put Merci very high, but I think it´s much warmer album than Attahk or Üdü Wüdü. I think their after Merci-albums are all great, well maybe Rïah Sahïltaahk loses the original, but on the other hand it´s also so short that easily not be called album. Felicite Thösz & Sl*g Tanz are also really short, but anyway new material and love them a lot!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 12:03
Please......don't make me choose.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>