Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rubbish last tracks....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 16:58
The album closer - Beautiful New Day from the album Tardigrade by Simon Says feels kinda weird and anticlimactic after Brother Where' You Bound
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2018 at 21:19
Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

Rubbish last track? I think you'd have to go a long way to beat The Grand Vizier's Garden Party off Floyd's 'Ummagumma' album. Sorry, Nick - we love you dearly but that wasn't one of your greatest moments.

I might have nominated Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast from 'Atom heart Mother', but I played it recently and thought the 3rd and final piece of music in it (before the dripping tap fade) was gorgeous, and a fitting end to the album.

I did originally dismiss Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast too, but listening to it again, it's music is actually very beautiful... all of it... but it's the sounds of breakfast cooking and eating, or whatever, that really drag the song out and cut out it's continuity.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 11:40
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I did originally dismiss Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast too, but listening to it again, it's music is actually very beautiful... all of it... but it's the sounds of breakfast cooking and eating, or whatever, that really drag the song out and cut out it's continuity.

Yes. The cooking stuff was quite interesting the first couple of times I heard it back in 1970 - a good use of stereo and sound effects (probably inspired by Ron Geesin) - but ever after that I could happily live without it. Pity really, it stops the music being given its proper credit.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 12:38
If it wasn't for the sounds of the cooking, how would you know it's Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast Wink
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

"God Save the Queen" on Queen's "Night at the Opera"
"Debbie Denise" on Blue Oyster Cult's "Agents of Fortune"
"Let's Pretend" on "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe"
Now that's a great bad list!
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 17:40
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

One of my favorite bands, Rush, wins this contest rather easily with the album closer from Roll The Bones, titled "You Bet Your Life." All these years later, I still can't believe they recorded such crap.

Nope.
I love that one.  Always will.  Rush has had some rubbish tracks, but I can't think of any that were closers.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 02:09
Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yes. The cooking stuff was quite interesting the first couple of times I heard it back in 1970 - a good use of stereo and sound effects (probably inspired by Ron Geesin) - but ever after that I could happily live without it. Pity really, it stops the music being given its proper credit.
I love Alan´s Psychedelic Breakfeast (those speakings are jolly "marmalade, toast etc") like the whole album!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 03:26
Alan's Brekkie is saved by the sublime piano music. The FX are ... well a waste of time.

Poor old BOC. Classic album with the near Beth / Death experience of Debbie Denise.

Poor Nick Mason.. 10 minutes of an LP to fill up and he has to rope his missus in to play some flute. Result - a studio album of demos.

Weirdest funniest... The Yardbirds - Dazed and Confused on Cumular Limit. They cover the Led Zeppelin original - 27 minutes ? Actually 7 minutes of paying tribute to Jake Holmes, then 15 minutes of silence and the song repeats the same but different. It's all backwards. I assume full of Satanic messages.

Don't understand what is wrong with It. The whole album is a surreal comedy and the track a jaunty closer.

Follow You Follow Me bears no relation to the rest of the album but I thought it was superb. Works as a coda to the album. Most things Genesis are superb. Re-do Invisible Touch to include the unedited singles and the 3 B sides and it is not so bad at all. Tried that with Three but it didn't work as well.

The song on Endless Dream starts horrifically (lyrically). What on earth was DG and his missus thinking with these opening lines. Still, quoting from Sorrow was a nice touch but it was touch and go fr a while.

Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 00:32
"Another Record" - Genesis
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 02:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Uh..the last 4 tracks on TFTO.

;)

That made me laugh five years ago... LOL

... and it still does nowadays 

Edited by Sean Trane - August 08 2023 at 02:28
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 02:30
Originally posted by Magog2112 Magog2112 wrote:

"Another Record" - Genesis

not even the worst song on Abacab, so i would not call it "rubbish". 
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 04:25
Octavarium by Dream Theater.

An overblown balloon filled with empty uninspiration.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2023 at 14:59
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Octavarium by Dream Theater.

An overblown balloon filled with empty uninspiration.

Octavarium is one of my favourite DT tracks!!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
GEN_I View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEN_I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2023 at 00:29
bike - piper at the gates of dawn
another record - abacab

Jackal3000 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal3000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2023 at 22:17
Not a bad song, but "Countdown" from Rush's "Signals," is definitely my least favorite song on the album, mostly because it has no instrumental "solo" of any kind, at least to my ears. Lyrically, IMO, it's also less interesting than the rest of the songs.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2023 at 04:18
Originally posted by GEN_I GEN_I wrote:

bike - piper at the gates of dawn
another record - abacab

I really love "Bike". It's very quirky. Like many of Syd's best songs, kind of a children's song on acid, and there's a lot of humour in it too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2023 at 04:41
The Beatles - Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (Beatles For Sale)
The Beatles - Dizzy Miss Lizzy (Help!)
Gasolin' - En sju bi du bi mand (Gasolin' 3)
The Rolling Stones - On With the Show (Their Satanic Majesties Request)

Not strictly rubbish, but anticlimactic:
The Beatles - Run For Your Life (Rubber Soul) - misogynistic first of all
C.V. Jørgensen - Outro (Vennerne og vejen)
Pink Floyd - Absolutely Curtains (Obscured By Clouds)
The Police - Darkness (Ghost In the Machine)
Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack (Kid A)
R.E.M. - Superman (Lifes Rich Pageant)
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2023 at 13:12
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Anticlimactic? "Darkness" is the perfect ending to this band's best album! 

Let me put it this way: can you think of a better way to close that album?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2023 at 13:53
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Anticlimactic? "Darkness" is the perfect ending to this band's best album! 

Let me put it this way: can you think of a better way to close that album?

I believe "Secret Journey" would have been quite a powerful closer. Probably my favourite song of that album :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234