Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Rock Fugues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Rock Fugues
    Posted: August 17 2018 at 13:13
So at the moment I am working with a friend on our very first Progressive Rock album.

One thing we are doing is exploring classical forms (me being from a classical background, and my friend just enjoying counterpoint beyond all natural reason). But he is, shall we say, somewhat unfamiliar with the art of composing a fugue and then maintaining the counter themes and expositions in harmony.

He loves Progressive rock and has a brilliant ear for music, however. So I am wishing to get a good catalog of Prog Rock fugues to give to him, basically as homework for him to work on with his keyboard and guitar, so he gets the gist more fully.

Currently the only ones I can name off the top of my head are:

On Reflection - Gentle Giant
Moog Fugue - Gentle Giant
The Endless Enigma - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Contrappunti - Le Orme
Little Fugue in G Minor - as played by Styx

But I don't know any by name beyond this.

For those who don't know:

A fugue is a contrapuntal piece, which begins with a main theme, which is then repeated in different pitches (this is called imitation), and this imitation happens at a minimum of two times throughout the piece (though Bach went beyond that on a dare and did a six part fugue as well), typically the voices occur in a descending order, highest to lowest. In most cases, particularly of the Baroque era, the order was (high) Tonic, (lower dominant), with a consistent decline in pitch, always following the tonic and dominant pattern. During this whole process the voice that was previously playing turns into a counter-theme to the main theme, creating two independent "tunes" if you will, which are interdependent on each other for strict harmonies, while also creating precise and very intricate rhythms.

Another way to think of the pattern:

So if your Fugue was in C, you'd start on high C, then the theme would be repeated again in G (below the high C), and if there were more voices it would continue to Middle C, and then the G below Middle C.

There are variances of course (Bach occasionally started with a lower tonic and then rose up to the dominant, but the pattern was still the same: tonic-dominant).

Anyways, suggestions?

Edited by philipemery - August 17 2018 at 13:18
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 15:32
The Modern Jazz Society - Little David's Fugue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rrrj87U8Q
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 18:47
Know that one, looking for more Prog Rock fugues, not jazz though.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 10:54
Thanks to more research I just discovered another one:

Kevin Gilbert - Suit Fugue
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 15:33
The beginning of "Meurglys III - The Songwriter's Guild" by Van der Graaf Generator is a fugue. But the song does not stay in fugue mode for long.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 15:43

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 08:06
Egg and Ekseption 
 Post Reply Post Reply