Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows from the 1980s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
3 [5.45%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
6 [10.91%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
6 [10.91%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
7 [12.73%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
1 [1.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV shows from the 1980s
    Posted: August 17 2018 at 21:35
Didn't spend enough time thinking about this. Multiple choice enabled. Edit: Missed two of my absolute favourites with the First Born and Traffik "miniseries" -- edited in..

Edited by Logan - August 18 2018 at 13:38
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 14:17
ALF
The Cosby Show
Hill Street Blues
Miami Vice
Airwolf
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 14:20
Taxi

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 16:33
The Professionals.   Very similar to The Sweeney of the 70s
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 17:09
Morse - best detective series ever!
Black Adder - second only to Fawlty Towers as the best comedy ever.
Red Dwarf - almost as good, except for those dodgy later series or two before the latest reboot.
The Singing Detective - Potter's best work
Brideshead Revisited - loved it at the time, but haven't been tempted to rewatch it since.
Das Boot - gripping war drama - must have been special if I start caring about what happens to a U-Boat crew!
Yes Minister etc. - witty and perceptive political comedy with a great cast and writing (Sir Humphrey lives on with Lazland's avatar!!!) - Always found The New Statesman a bit too broad and bawdy - although Ric Mayall and the gang in The Young Ones were superb!
Dr Who not as good in the 80s - my interest faded somewhat.
The Tripods - really interesting children's Sci-Fi, but the BBC messed with the schedule and it got cancelled early - so a flawed classic.
Hill Street Blues - I hung in there for many series, but probably missed more episodes than I saw - as life got in the way! As teachers, we always used to say "let's do it to them before they do it to us" after every Monday staff meeting before the first lesson!!!

Elsewhere - A BBC Wednesday play - The Flipside of Dominick Hide - remains my favourite Sci-Fi one off programme - although recent Black Mirror episodes run it close. Highly recommended. A Very Peculiar Practice - campus medical comedy - although the first series was best. The Beiderbecke Tapes etc. were fun too!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 06:09
Black Adder and Red Dwarf from this list.

Some of my favourites:

Seinfeld (started back in '89)
Married with Children
Sledge Hammer
The Twilight Zone (1985)

Some series I enjoyed, but aren't that great: V, ALF, Mr. Belvedere, MacGyver, Taxi.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 07:25
I watched Quantum Leap and Star Trek TNG back in the day :)
There was a cop show called Hunter, pretty entertaining
Married with Children 

don't know a lot of the TV shows listed...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2018 at 10:10
The Professionals was a good one per my tastes, noni. I prefer it to a number on my own list (I added a few to these lists that I thought certain people at the site, like Dwill, might enjoy).

My faves of this list are Kieslowski's Dekalog (brilliant, every person serious about the medium should try it, I think). It's way more artistic than, say, Airwolf (imo of course), and deeper even than ALF. The Singing Detective is brilliant, as is Das Boot. Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister is such a witty satire. Morse is Morse, fabulous show.

The New Statesman is not as witty as Yes Minister, it's pretty blunt and sadistic, but it has some, I think, really great moments, and the darkness of it did appeal to me. There's this presentation scene from the episode "Sex is Wrong" that I found hilarious which involves a pamphlet and a Conservative party conference.

The First Born "miniseries' I found ultimately very moving, and I think Traffik was very good.

I also have a big thing for Chocky (one of my all-time favourite children's shows), and I do find it moving.

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Morse - best detective series ever!
Black Adder - second only to Fawlty Towers as the best comedy ever.
Red Dwarf - almost as good, except for those dodgy later series or two before the latest reboot.
The Singing Detective - Potter's best work
Brideshead Revisited - loved it at the time, but haven't been tempted to rewatch it since.
Das Boot - gripping war drama - must have been special if I start caring about what happens to a U-Boat crew!
Yes Minister etc. - witty and perceptive political comedy with a great cast and writing (Sir Humphrey lives on with Lazland's avatar!!!) - Always found The New Statesman a bit too broad and bawdy - although Ric Mayall and the gang in The Young Ones were superb!
Dr Who not as good in the 80s - my interest faded somewhat.
The Tripods - really interesting children's Sci-Fi, but the BBC messed with the schedule and it got cancelled early - so a flawed classic.
Hill Street Blues - I hung in there for many series, but probably missed more episodes than I saw - as life got in the way! As teachers, we always used to say "let's do it to them before they do it to us" after every Monday staff meeting before the first lesson!!!

Elsewhere - A BBC Wednesday play - The Flipside of Dominick Hide - remains my favourite Sci-Fi one off programme - although recent Black Mirror episodes run it close. Highly recommended. A Very Peculiar Practice - campus medical comedy - although the first series was best. The Beiderbecke Tapes etc. were fun too!

Great reading, Squonk, and some for me to look into. I also lost interest in Doctor Who in the 80s, but I appreciate it rather more now. I still think that there were some superb episodes made during that time, and I like the weirdness of the Colin Baker episode, Revelation of the Daleks.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 14:43
Singing Detective....Brideshead....and of course Morse....perhaps my favorite grumpy detective of all time.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 15:19
Allo Allo is my favourite
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 16:09
I see that ‘Allo ‘Allo is not on my list, even though it was on it. It’s one of my favourites, as I think you know from another topic, that just got missed somehow when I decided to shuffle the positions of some of these. I always make mistakes when I prepare these polls.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2018 at 16:39
Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Young Ones... 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 14:39
Lots and lots of my favourites here!

But I have to add 'Stella Street' with John Sessions & Phil Cornwell playing multiple personalities and celebrities  who all have taken up residence in a middle England suburban street.. watch any of the 'Mick & Keith's corner shop' sketches..

Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:04
No votes for Kieslowski's "Dekalog"? Fixed.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:08
Forgot about Stella Street! Unforgivable! The Corner Shop sketches had me rolling on the floor!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:15
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

No votes for Kieslowski's "Dekalog"? Fixed.

Seeing "Dekalog" on the list reminded me that Bergman's Fanny And Alexander was also originally released as a TV miniseries.

It also reminded me of the fact that I omitted both of these when making my "favorite tv series" polls.

Edited by Morningrise - August 21 2018 at 16:35
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 21:40
Yes Minister is one of my all time favourite TV shows. Like most comedies, it doesn't force you to follow episode after episode to know what's going on; each episode brings different delights.  But the comedy is also not inane at any point, it's pure wit.  Nobody trying to say anything funny out of intention (except Appleby at times or Bernard's occasional zingers) but the situation makes it so. 

In the Poirot series, David Suchet WAS Poirot. I am sure most who have read the Poirot novels would agree. Albert Finney and Ustinov tried in the movies based on Orient Express and Evil Under The Sun but they were either too masculine or just too huge (Ustinov). And both were too loud.  Poirot was awkward and a little clumsy yet very self confident and not at all self conscious, very fastidious and meticulous and had an appearance of almost feminine grace in his soft spoken ways which hid the heart of a detective who was almost as ruthless as the criminals he brought to book.  Suchet embodied all these qualities to a T.  It wasn't just that he looked and dressed up like Poirot but he walked, talked and THOUGHT like Poirot.  There is talk of today's peak TV but BBC produced a bunch of top notch TV series in the 70s and the 80s that were exceptionally well made and well enacted without any of the actors charging a bomb.  

Not from the 80s but the TV adaptation of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was also brilliant.  Alec Guinness just intuitively resembled George Smiley more than Oldman in the film version and Colin Forth, as good as he was, was simply no match for Ian Richardson.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 21:53
Hart to Hart  Embarrassed
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 07:53
^ I think that Hart to Hart fits your tastes in music quite well. I've long been wanting to do a correlative study that compares tastes in music, film, television and novels while also seeing what parallels can be drawn with tastes in art, plus some other interests, to ones ideological/ political and religious views and psychological states. I could do this online, and after the results are cross-referenced for an individual, a profile could be created, but to do it well and in a way that is more than just entertainment would be a challenge without partners.

^^ Great post, Rogerthat!

^^^ I thought Dekalog would get a few votes here. It's amazingly good. There is a 4k restoration of it. It would be an interesting one to contrast against Miami Vice (that Dwill mentioned) in a poll since both have a relation to vice.      It's such an interesting and artistic exploration of moral themes (Dekalog, that is -- not speaking of Miami Vice).

Fanny and Alexander is a great call, and it would have paired well with the likes of Das Boot (the theatrical cut of Das Boot was the first sub-titled film that I saw in the cinema that I can recall).

Edited by Logan - August 22 2018 at 08:00
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 13:21
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were classics.

Blackadder (apart from the first series) is one of the best comedies ever written.

Inspector Morse was my favourite detective series

It's a shame Dallas and Dynasty aren't on the list, though

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>