Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV shows from the 1980s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Choose any favourites (multiple votes enabled)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.82%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
3 [5.45%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
6 [10.91%]
1 [1.82%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
2 [3.64%]
2 [3.64%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
6 [10.91%]
1 [1.82%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.82%]
7 [12.73%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [9.09%]
1 [1.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 14:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I think that Hart to Hart fits your tastes in music quite well. I've long been wanting to do a correlative study that compares tastes in music, film, television and novels while also seeing what parallels can be drawn with tastes in art, plus some other interests, to ones ideological/ political and religious views and psychological states. I could do this online, and after the results are cross-referenced for an individual, a profile could be created, but to do it well and in a way that is more than just entertainment would be a challenge without partners.
I almost never go to blockbuster movies and prefer artsty and foreign films.  I prefer fringe, squirm in your seat theater to big productions.  The prog bands I like might be more "mainstream" than your favourites, but I would argue they are not as mainstream as most of the big 6 (whatever exactly that is), since the big 6 sold a lot more records.  Also, prog bands that you might consider more mainstream are still pretty quirky compared to the average pop of today or yesterday.  Smile  My favorite sub genre is prog folk which one could argue is less mainstream than, say, crossover...sorry to overuse the term mainstream.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:06
Originally posted by AlanB AlanB wrote:

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were classics.

Blackadder (apart from the first series) is one of the best comedies ever written.

Inspector Morse was my favourite detective series

It's a shame Dallas and Dynasty aren't on the list, though

Maybe I was too young to really appreciate Dynasty and Dallas, but it seemed too soap operaish to me at the time, and it went on too long for too many episodes for me to really want to delve into now. Maybe one doesn't need to watch all of the seasons, but I rather like to binge when I get the opportunity. Even if say, Dynasty is a soap opera, there are shows with soap opera qualities that I do like, such as First Born off this list, or Brideshead Revisited though it has a higher-brow reputation (not that I care about high-brow much as one can tell from list of mine).

I do tend to favour shows that had shorter runs (anthology series can be an exception as well as various Detective series, and things like Doctor Who, as the episodes can be more stand-alone). Sometimes I feel especially with American TV that they far too often milk these things for all they're worth, and I often would prefer tighter shows that were through-written before production. So many shows tail off in quality and they run them into the ground, then cancel.

Dynasty had 220 episodes over nine years, and I think it's near impossible to keep a high level of quality for that length of a run.

Dallas had 357 episodes and four made-for-television movies and reunion specials aired over 14 seasons.

To mention some of my favourite dramas on my list:

- Dekalog, in contrast, had ten one hour television films.
- The Singing Detective was a six episode serial.
- Das Boot was a six episode serial.
- Traffik was a six epsiode serial.
- First Born was a three episode serial.
- The Tripods was 13 half hour episodes.
- Chocky was six episodes, as were the two sequel series (I liked Chocky's Children too, but not Chocky's Cahllenge as much).
- Even Brideshead revisted was only eleven epsiodes, though it could run to 100 mintes for an episode.

When it comes to drama, on the whole I do tend to prefer shorter serials (sometimes called mini-series) as well as anthology series and other ones that can work as stand-alone episodes. Even the long running Inspector Morse, which run from 1987 to 2000 only had thirty-three episodes, which is far less than Dynasty and Dallas.

Actually, I don't really like everything on my list, and wish I had put more thought into it to include more that I love and not include some that I watched but was never really into.

Edited by Logan - August 22 2018 at 15:07
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:09
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

^ I think that Hart to Hart fits your tastes in music quite well. I've long been wanting to do a correlative study that compares tastes in music, film, television and novels while also seeing what parallels can be drawn with tastes in art, plus some other interests, to ones ideological/ political and religious views and psychological states. I could do this online, and after the results are cross-referenced for an individual, a profile could be created, but to do it well and in a way that is more than just entertainment would be a challenge without partners.

I almost never go to blockbuster movies and prefer artsty and foreign films.  I prefer fringe, squirm in your seat theater to big productions.  The prog bands I like might be more "mainstream" than your favourites, but I would argue they are not as mainstream as most of the big 6 (whatever exactly that is), since the big 6 sold a lot more records.  Also, prog bands that you might consider more mainstream are still pretty quirky compared to the average pop of today or yesterday.  Smile  My favorite sub genre is prog folk which one could argue is less mainstream than, say, crossover...sorry to overuse the term mainstream.

I wasn't thinking about your tastes being mainstream, but that there is a certain romanticism to various music that you like that might be equated to something like Hart to Hart.

Edited by Logan - August 22 2018 at 15:11
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:20
^ that does sound about right

One of the other things that drew me to Hart to Hart was precisely that it was not a serial/soap opera like so many of the series' of that time.  Each episode was tied up with a bow at the end.  You watched to see the next adventure, not to find out how the ongoing one would temporarily resolve.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:36
I haven't seen it since the 80s, but I liked Hart to Hart. It was fun, and it didn't take itself too seriously. It was better constructed and produced than many similar sort-of shows as I recall. By the way, I consider myself to be something of a romantic -- albeit a rather too pessimistic one -- and I like whimsy.

"This is my boss – Jonathan Hart, a self-made millionaire. He’s quite a guy. This is Mrs. H – she’s gorgeous. What a terrific lady. By the way, my name is Max. I take care of them, which ain't easy, 'cause their hobby is murder."

Lovely.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 15:41
I felt sorry for the Harts, with their friends always dying around them! LOL

I also love the Handmaid's tale, which would require a bit of twisting around to fit into the romantic ideal, unless you were a "true believer"
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 16:05

I haven't seen it since the 80s, but I liked Hart to Hart. It was fun, and it didn't take itself too seriously. It was better constructed and produced than many similar sort-of shows as I recall. By the way, I consider myself to be something of a romantic -- albeit a rather too pessimistic one -- and I like whimsy.

"This is my boss – Jonathan Hart, a self-made millionaire. He’s quite a guy. This is Mrs. H – she’s gorgeous. What a terrific lady. By the way, my name is Max. I take care of them, which ain't easy, 'cause their hobby is murder."

Lovely.

Last I heard it was being remade. But about two Gay guys. So why not make a separate show about two Gay millionaires who solve crimes? But then it won't be a Hart To Hart remake! But...

EDIT: Surprisingly this whole idea has been dropped!

Edited by AZF - August 22 2018 at 16:06
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 16:30
HtH was one of those pre-internet shows that was on a night and at a time when it was just about the only thing on worth watching (and I wasn't even a big fan).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 04:27
Of the ones listed in the poll, Young Ones and Star Trek TNG.

I love the V mini series but never liked the TV show.

Not listed
Simpsons
Married With Children
Cheers
Night Court
A-Team
Night Rider
Amazing Stories
21 Jump Street
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2018 at 16:28
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2018 at 08:35
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Lots and lots of my favourites here!

But I have to add 'Stella Street' with John Sessions & Phil Cornwell playing multiple personalities and celebrities  who all have taken up residence in a middle England suburban street.. watch any of the 'Mick & Keith's corner shop' sketches..

I have to add that I am talking complete b***ocks; Stella street was actually in the 1990's not the 1980's.. sorry, a case of pickled brain i'm afraid..

Still classic though..

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:31
The "A" Team
Airwolf
Cheers
The Equalizer
Family Ties
Hunter
Married...With Children
Miami Vice
Night Court
Probe (a fine that was a casualty of the writers' strike)
Streethawk (yes, that one! music by Tangerine Dream!)
*Tales From The Darkside 
*The Twilight Zone

Edit* to add those last two! Can't believe I forgot them. TFTD is one of my favorite shows of any decade.

Edited by verslibre - September 08 2018 at 15:43
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 15:32
...ST:TNG, too! Mustn't forget that.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 18:40
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

*spits beer on monitor*

there goes my vote.... but was leaning toward it anyway...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 13:14
Phil Collins was in Miami Vice too. I enjoyed the show as a kid,but it's not something that I've wanted to return to. Love the film A Boy and His Dog with Don Johnson (one of my favourite films).

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The "A" Team
Airwolf
Cheers
The Equalizer
Family Ties
Hunter
Married...With Children
Miami Vice
Night Court
Probe (a fine that was a casualty of the writers' strike)
Streethawk (yes, that one! music by Tangerine Dream!)
*Tales From The Darkside 
*The Twilight Zone

Edit* to add those last two! Can't believe I forgot them. TFTD is one of my favorite shows of any decade.

I love Tales from the Darkside and surely I must have thought of it, but missed it. When I made these polls it was when the site was going off-line and I had to remake a couple of them. I showed this one to my daughter a couple of years ago -- the one with the girl in the closet, I found that scary as a kid: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ltri0

My favourites of these are Dekalog, I think it may be the best show that I've ever seen, The Singing Detective (another contender, Dennis Pooter is terrific), Das Boot, Chocky, First Born and Traffik. I was a huge Black Adder fan, but I overwatched it.

EDIt: Speaking of Dennis Potter, I listened to this the other day and found it powerful if rather predictable) -- I hadn't read the source novel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgvdmf

Originally posted by BBC radio BBC radio wrote:

Dennis Potter's The White Hotel
Drama, Unmade Movies

Dennis Potter's unproduced screenplay of DM Thomas's award-winning novel, starring Anne-Marie Duff and Bill Paterson. With strong language and sexual scenes.

The drama is preceded by a short documentary, The Long Road to the White Hotel, telling the story of the many failed attempts to bring DM Thomas's novel to the screen and the making of the Radio 4 drama of Dennis Potter's screenplay.

Written by DM Thomas
Original Screenplay by Denis Potter under licence from Briarpatch Limited L.P
Directed by Jon Amiel

The Long Road to the White Hotel feature by Overtone Productions.

Producers: Laurence Bowen and Peter Ettedgui
A Dancing Ledge production for BBC Radio 4.

Edited by Logan - September 11 2018 at 13:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12