Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prog ballad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: prog ballad
    Posted: July 25 2023 at 19:40
Here's another cool one. Another Day Like Superman by Anyone's Daughter.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 15:44

Edited by bardberic - July 25 2023 at 15:45
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2023 at 12:18
Arena - Mea Culpa
Arena - Friday's Dream
The Flower Kings - The Way the Waters Are Moving
The Flower Kings - A King's Prayer
Genesis - Undertow
IQ - One Fatal Mistake
Kate Bush - A Coral Room
Kate Bush - The Man with the Child In His Eyes
Kate Bush - This Woman's Work
King Crimson - Matte Kudasai
King Crimson - Epitaph
King Crimson - Islands
Marillion - Runaway
Marillion - The Hollow Man
Marillion - Sugar Mice
Marillion - Fantastic Place
Marillion - Seasons End
Marillion - The Sky Above the Rain
Marillion - Estonia
Opeth - Isolation Years
Opeth - Burden
Pain of Salvation - Iter Impius
Pain of Salvation - Second Love
Pendragon - Starfish and the Moon
Pendragon - Whirlwind
Pendragon - If I Were the Wind (And You Were the Rain)
Pendragon - It's Only Me
Peter Gabriel - Here Comes the Flood
Peter Gabriel - Biko
Peter Gabriel - Wallflower
Peter Gabriel - Don't Give Up
Peter Gabriel - Washing of the Water
Phideaux - Crumble
Phideaux - Infinite Supply
Pink Floyd - Nobody Home
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Radiohead - Nude
Radiohead - Motion Picture Soundtrack
Radiohead - Exit Music (For a Film)
Rush - The Garden
Rush - Nobody's Hero
Rush - Closer to the Heart
Yes - Turn of the Century
Yes - Soon
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2019 at 12:14
ELP - C'est la vie

Kansas - Dust In the Wind

Edited by terramystic - March 13 2019 at 12:19
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2019 at 01:17
Yes - And You And I
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 10:04
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

So, in the sense of an "adagio", you may call it whatever you want beyond "adagio", but it is not a "ballad" in the literary and historical perspective. So no one who has commented thus far is wrong or "unaware" about their selections, per se. In fact, they are using the term in a far more correct sense than you have.

Yes PROFESSOR!

Consider yourself schooled. Now, go and sin no more.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 09:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by klaatuarethebeatles klaatuarethebeatles wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this beautiful Gentle Giant ballad. https://youtu.be/DYyMsBSnJ88

link does not work for me, why you don't just mention the song name. 
or use the Insert Movie function.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 07:54
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

So, in the sense of an "adagio", you may call it whatever you want beyond "adagio", but it is not a "ballad" in the literary and historical perspective. So no one who has commented thus far is wrong or "unaware" about their selections, per se. In fact, they are using the term in a far more correct  sense than you have.

Yes PROFESSOR!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 09:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Unbelievable ... the listing is all songs with lyrics ... as if a "ballad" has not existed for hundreds of years ... it only shows how musically unawares we are?

I'll take Albinoni's Adagio in G ... maybe followed by Terje Rypdal's Adagietto!

No, what is unbelievable is you continue to infer other people are ignorant when your ignorance is quite clear. The irony here is other posters are using the proper context, whether popular or in the more proper historical sense, for a ballad, but you are not.

Perhaps it is because English is not your first language (and based on how you write, more likely third or fourth down the list), but a "ballad" by its very nature requires lyrics. This has been the nature of ballads since the 13th century. They are narrative songs, originally styled in quatrains (ballad stanzas). With words/lyrics as a requirement.

From a non-song compositional point of view, poetic ballads (literary ballads) are written in the same style. With words. Robert Burns, Walter Scott, Goethe, Coleridge, Keats, Poe, Wordsworth, Oscar Wilde, Christine Rossetti, Kipling -- all wrote literary ballads. Not surprisingly, each of these poets used words for their ballads.

So, in the sense of an "adagio", you may call it whatever you want beyond "adagio", but it is not a "ballad" in the literary and historical perspective. So no one who has commented thus far is wrong or "unaware" about their selections, per se. In fact, they are using the term in a far more correct  sense than you have.

Edited by The Dark Elf - February 17 2019 at 09:41
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2019 at 07:47
Hi,

Unbelievable ... the listing is all songs with lyrics ... as if a "ballad" has not existed for hundreds of years ... it only shows how musically unawares we are?

I'll take Albinoni's Adagio in G ... maybe followed by Terje Rypdal's Adagietto!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 02:27
Angra - Deep Blue (from Holy Land).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czfox3aTJ00

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:53
Originally posted by klaatuarethebeatles klaatuarethebeatles wrote:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this beautiful Gentle Giant ballad. https://youtu.be/DYyMsBSnJ88

link does not work for me, why you don't just mention the song name. 
klaatuarethebeatles View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klaatuarethebeatles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 01:50

Edited by klaatuarethebeatles - February 11 2019 at 01:51
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

ELP - From the Beginning
their best ballad IMO Big smile

Indeed

indeedlydoodly
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 21:39
Many, many gorgeous ProgFolk ballads....Jack Orion, Willy of Winsbury, My Johnny Was A Shoemaker, Reynardine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sxeO3PQHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_U6o0LogM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRAi4miyvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH8CXSF7Brw

And that's just a start of the Pentangle related ones...

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 21:04

ELP - From the Beginning

Indeed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 15:23
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I have to admit that, like Simon (aka Mascodagama) and Greg (aka The Dark Elf), I prefer traditional folk ballads to modern ones. Conventional rock ballads can often be rather sappy, and - unlike the stereotypical female listener - I don't have too much time for sappy stuff. However, looking at previous posts, I noticed a couple or more glaring omissions, notably King Crimson's "Book of Saturdays" and "Exiles", and ELP's "Still... You Turn Me On".

In the traditional sense, a ballad is a stanzaed poem or song narrating a story. It may or may not be a love song, but it should tell a story. Therefore, when I hear "ballad" the inner English Major in me kicks in, and I think chanson or canzone. So from a modern sense, I am more apt to think of Bob Dylan singing "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest", "Tangled Up In Blue" or "Hurricane", which are ballads in the truer fashion, and not the trivialized ditties ballads have become. 

From a prog sense of the word, a ballad could be Jethro Tull's "Velvet Green", which recalls the bawdier "Broadside Ballads" of the 17th and 18th centuries...

You mentioned King Crimson's "Book of Saturdays", but you might as well throw in "Cirkus" as as a modern approximation of a ballad as well...

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 13:56
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 10:58
Amon Düül II - Green Bubble Raincoated Man
It's kinda cool, check it out. IMO it perfectly fits the "prog ballad" category.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:58
ELP - From the Beginning
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>