Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

prog ballad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:02
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Turn of the Century - Yes
Ocean Gypsy - Renaissance
Entangled - Genesis
From the Beginning - ELP

Excellent selection!
More recently I can't get enough of "If You See Her' by Mystery (from Delusion Rain) - gets me every time
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 05:28
Ballad of big....Genesis
Kempokid View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kempokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 21:12
Televators - The Mars Volta
Desert of Song - Between the Buried and Me
Mother Superior - Coheed and Cambria
What it Means to Be Alone - The Dear Hunter
Is There Anybody Here? - The Dear Hunter
Ih-Ah! - Devin Townsend Project
The Cloak - Leprous
Face of Melinda - Opeth
Lazarus - Porcupine Tree
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 01:23

I've never really been a fan of ballads, but there are some that appeal to me. Two that I'll mention are:

House With No DoorVan der Graaf Generator is perhaps their best ballad.

Stranger Still - Peter Hammill speaks to me personally, but perhaps that is just peculiar to me.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - February 08 2019 at 01:26
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 14:57
Many good ones posted already. My fave is probably Different Strings, by Rush.
Z
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 17:24
a whiter shade of pale -procol harum
starless -king crimson
nights in white satin- the moody blues
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2019 at 23:01
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 07:55
Hi,

Do ballads without lyrics count?

This way, your mind can create the ballad on its own ... which for me is way better!

I can start with Maggot Brain, way back when if anyone wants, and I even have Pekka, and Terje ... who was a ballad all by himself in the early days of "Odyssey", and later in his album with David Darling! Talk about "ballads" and what I call the best chamber music for an electric guitar that Eric or Jimmy never/ever dreamed of!

The word ballad becomes real ... but it looks like we must have lyrics to tell us what a ballad is ... like you learned the lyrics when you were 4 months old and mom hummed a tune, or equivalent!

Embarrassed
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 08:27
Blue Angel by David Cousins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_KB0Ow4fVo

Edited by Snicolette - February 09 2019 at 10:19
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 08:48
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2019 at 11:35

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:38
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

love me some Traffic and that song.. but a ballad... 

what the hell is a ballad anyway.. oh yeah..  the kind of stuff that makes it easy for her to change her opinion from.. maybe to HELL YEAH..

that is not exactly a song I'd put on with a hot babe, a roaring fire, and a good bottle of wine.

now this one.. umm hmmm...Micky tested.. Micky approved..

in fact outside of the absolutely stone cold kickass rocker that was the album opener.. a very good 'ballad' album.. 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:56
I have to admit that, like Simon (aka Mascodagama) and Greg (aka The Dark Elf), I prefer traditional folk ballads to modern ones. Conventional rock ballads can often be rather sappy, and - unlike the stereotypical female listener - I don't have too much time for sappy stuff. However, looking at previous posts, I noticed a couple or more glaring omissions, notably King Crimson's "Book of Saturdays" and "Exiles", and ELP's "Still... You Turn Me On".

Edited by Raff - February 10 2019 at 05:57
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 05:58
ELP - From the Beginning
their best ballad IMO Big smile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 10:58
Amon Düül II - Green Bubble Raincoated Man
It's kinda cool, check it out. IMO it perfectly fits the "prog ballad" category.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 13:56
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 15:23
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I have to admit that, like Simon (aka Mascodagama) and Greg (aka The Dark Elf), I prefer traditional folk ballads to modern ones. Conventional rock ballads can often be rather sappy, and - unlike the stereotypical female listener - I don't have too much time for sappy stuff. However, looking at previous posts, I noticed a couple or more glaring omissions, notably King Crimson's "Book of Saturdays" and "Exiles", and ELP's "Still... You Turn Me On".

In the traditional sense, a ballad is a stanzaed poem or song narrating a story. It may or may not be a love song, but it should tell a story. Therefore, when I hear "ballad" the inner English Major in me kicks in, and I think chanson or canzone. So from a modern sense, I am more apt to think of Bob Dylan singing "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest", "Tangled Up In Blue" or "Hurricane", which are ballads in the truer fashion, and not the trivialized ditties ballads have become. 

From a prog sense of the word, a ballad could be Jethro Tull's "Velvet Green", which recalls the bawdier "Broadside Ballads" of the 17th and 18th centuries...

You mentioned King Crimson's "Book of Saturdays", but you might as well throw in "Cirkus" as as a modern approximation of a ballad as well...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 21:04
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ELP - From the Beginning

Indeed
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2019 at 21:39
Many, many gorgeous ProgFolk ballads....Jack Orion, Willy of Winsbury, My Johnny Was A Shoemaker, Reynardine....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7sxeO3PQHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3_U6o0LogM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yRAi4miyvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH8CXSF7Brw

And that's just a start of the Pentangle related ones...

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 00:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ELP - From the Beginning

Indeed

indeedlydoodly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>