0 [0.00%]
2 [2.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Crimson song contest
    Posted: April 18 2019 at 21:43
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

In the Wake of Poseidon.

As above 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 02:59
Absurdly good list, first eight are basically flawless, no distinction... I went for atmosphere and picked Cirkus.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 02:24
I Talk to The Wind

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 22:01
^Ok, I didn´t pay any attention to the backgraound.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 21:41
^ I think it's the same performance... but... well. You can see the background to where they played was removed and replaced with a black background and a moon and other things... I mean why do that to the video? Or perhaps it was actually originally filmed with a green screen with the intention of doing that? Or was it just an ugly uninteresting setting were they played? However, the video I saw I think it's the same performance, but the background used was different... actually, this one looks far better. And one more thing, this song seems to show exactly what I find so great about Bruford, I just love his playing here, being subtle, crazy, and powerful whenever the song demands it... and with all the showmanship and as spectacular as the 3 drummers can be with the new line-up, they still just can't match one Bill Bruford (just compare both versions of this song).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 02:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^My point in whole post there is also moving picture, not just audio like in many old Crimson live pieces in youtube. I haven´t found any other old version of Starless with picture. In "The Night Watch" they have put some filter into picture, it´s hard to see who´s there playing, but I think it fits really well into mood of that song.

I didn't catch that you were talking about a video recorded. I guess I should look it up... though I did see a video of starless last week or so, shared in FB and viewed on YouTube, so perhaps it's the same video your are talking about, and yeah, It's great to see them playing that song. Though I don't understand why they did that thing with the background.
Here´s vid I talked about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6qXyC__vdA

I don´t understand what you mean about background, maybe you´re talking some else vid. I think they´re playing in this live, Fripp plays mellotron parts in the first, then changes guitar and in the end Cross plays the mellotron parts.

Edited by Mortte - September 03 2018 at 06:32
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 21:01

^My point in whole post there is also moving picture, not just audio like in many old Crimson live pieces in youtube. I haven´t found any other old version of Starless with picture. In "The Night Watch" they have put some filter into picture, it´s hard to see who´s there playing, but I think it fits really well into mood of that song.

I didn't catch that you were talking about a video recorded. I guess I should look it up... though I did see a video of starless last week or so, shared in FB and viewed on YouTube, so perhaps it's the same video your are talking about, and yeah, It's great to see them playing that song. Though I don't understand why they did that thing with the background.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 20:30
The Night Watch followed by Exiles
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 23:48
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 21:16
^ No, I haven't gotten into that Paris show... mostly, I think I already got enough from that line-up, with the Collectable vol 1, The 4 disc set "The Great Deceiver", and "The Night Watch" itself... I think those are all. Yet, I don't quiet understand what you mean about a "photoshopped" version on that album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 22:50
^I´ll quess you have already seen DGM-live pieces from Paris 1974? I found out quite recently them from youtube, they´re really great, although I think they didn´t then fully succeeded in Starless. Really liked that "photoshopped" version of the Night Watch!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:45
^ I don't have USA, but instead have Collectable King Crimson, that includes two concerts, one of them is the very same from USA (Ausbury), but without edits nor overdubs (I think they corrected those things in the newest versions of USA, though), and the other concert is also great, and includes my very favourite version of Starless. All in all, it is my favourite live release from that era of the band. And yes, I actually like live albums very much, they often do wonderful things with the songs in their concerts, and King Crimson is one of those bands in which very often the songs are much better live, to the point I'm not really interested in listening to the studio ones again. Or at least not often.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 02:12
^Well, I have always been more studio-album guy, although I really love also some essential great live albums (not much listened live albums outside the official, mostly sixties-seventies releases). I have only Earthbound & USA from Crimson, I have listened those few newest Crimson lives.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 21:42

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I guess I'll have to check out that song again. Though perhaps the fact that I have only heard it live (I have not bought the Starless and Bible Black album) has something to do with it.

The whole Starless & Bible Black-album took me a while to get into it. Specially when hearing it quite soon after glorius Larks´s-album, which had many direction changes, it sounded a little bit dull. But after many listenings it showed to be really great album!

Yeah, I guess I should. I still have a few gaps of albums from King Crimson, mostly amended a bit by having the eras covered with live albums (if I had bought studio albums instead of live ones, I guess I would already have all their studio albums... but those live versions of songs are really something special that I wouldn't want to do without. For me many songs are so much better on some live version.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:20
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

Starless and Bible Black is a great album that anyone who enjoys KC should own.

Just outside their top 4 albums but it's still fantastic

The middle improv tracks can be hard to get into but they do click after a while, and Great Deceiver and Lament are excellent (Lament is one of my all time fav KC tracks) and of course Fracture at the end

I would definitely get this album if you don't own it. You won't be disappointed
I agree fully! SABB is really great entity, like all the other Crimson seventies albums. And really those improv tracks are great, to me it sounds they evolve from "We´ll Let You Know" to final track "Fracture".
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:28
Starless & Bible Black was my 1st Crimson album and for many years remained my #1.

I was already into ELP, Tull, Yes, Genesis & Gentle Giant at age 16.  One September Saturday I went up to the counter of my local hole in the wall record store and said, "I really like those King Crimson album covers, what do they sound like?"  The guy gets this evil smile and says, "I'll put something on."  He dropped the needle on Fracture and by the time it ended my mind was blown.  I bought S&BB on the spot...the next day I bought Lizard and the day after USA LOL
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 07:49
I hadn't listened to Starless and Bible Black for quite some time and this thread made me listen to it again. I had forgotten how great Night Watch actually is. Maybe not the no. 1 Crimson song in my book but surely a worthy poll winner. This is what's so great about this forum, it makes me reappreciate such gems.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 03:22
Starless and Bible Black is a great album that anyone who enjoys KC should own.

Just outside their top 4 albums but it's still fantastic

The middle improv tracks can be hard to get into but they do click after a while, and Great Deceiver and Lament are excellent (Lament is one of my all time fav KC tracks) and of course Fracture at the end

I would definitely get this album if you don't own it. You won't be disappointed
Songs cast a light on you
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 02:19
^Well, if you haven´t heard as a whole I think you should at least listen it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 21:37
^ In great part I haven't got it because I already have just about all of it's songs on different live albums, and since about half of it is suposed to come from live performances (The Night Watch, I think, which I also have), and just about the only song that I really liked is Fracture, well, I thought there's really no point in buying it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>