Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 7 studio album run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: What is the best run of 7 consecutive albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.31%]
1 [0.83%]
2 [1.65%]
29 [23.97%]
13 [10.74%]
7 [5.79%]
6 [4.96%]
7 [5.79%]
8 [6.61%]
3 [2.48%]
3 [2.48%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [7.44%]
18 [14.88%]
11 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 14:24
I voted for Yes on this poll, but there are many here that I also considered.  At first I thought that King Crimson could have been on this list and considered voting for other because of this, but we are talking about a 7 album consecutive run, and when I think of it in that light, Yes still wins for consecutive awesomeness.  KC comes close, and still remains my overall favorite band, but couldn't really hold out when comparing it over 7 consecutive albums.  KC's best albums are more interspersed among their entire discography.

Edited by TCat - August 21 2018 at 14:32
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 14:30
This poll really shows how amazing the late 60's -> 70's era was for prog and how spoiled we were with great album after great album streaks from multiple bands.  Of the bands on the list, and really evaluating how much I like each of the 7 albums in the range, I'd go with Genesis.  My 1st inclination was VDGG, but while the last 4 string of Godbluff/StillLife/WorldRecord/PleasureDome are great, I like the 1st era much better before they reformed and those feel like a step down for me.  Also, I'd count Aerosol Gray as the 1st VDGG album and drop off PleasureDome.  Anyway, the Genesis 7 dipped a bit at the end for me, but was more consistently excellent throughout.  That said, I really have no choice but to vote other because...LOL

King Crimson - ITCOTCK -> Red

Other favorite 7 streak prog for me would be:

Procol:  Procol Harum -> Exotic Birds & Fruit
Ange:  Caricatures -> Vu D'un Chien (technically a streak of 6 as the 7th was a bit of a lemon)
Beatles:  Rubber Soul -> Abbey Road (not a big fan of Let it Be so started at Rubber Soul which I like much more)
PFM:  Storia Di Un Minuto -> Jet Lag (#7 is a minor step down but the 1st 6 are all amazing)
Roxy Music:  Roxy Music -> Flesh and Blood

Outside of prog:

Black Sabbath:  Black Sabbath -> Technical Ecstasy (though I don't like #7)
Rolling Stones:  Aftermath -> Exile on Main Street
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 14:58
Genesis......Yes........Tull.........Rush etc. It's very hard to have a truly great run of 7 albums, given bands change line-ups and that they are rightly experimenting and trying out new things. Marillion were not too far short, and so were Spock's Beard, I suppose, but it's all very subjective. If you're a fan, all releases from your bands have their highlights. ELP and King Crimson's runs were as good as many etc.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:25
My vote for Gentle Giant, but Yes and Genesis are very close
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:28
Voted for Marillion
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:34
Hey, finally a vote for Marillion! Now all that's left is Spock's Beard, the Flower Kings and Jethro Tull. :)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:38
[Also, I'd count Aerosol Gray as the 1st VDGG album and drop off PleasureDome.]

Not being familiar with those albums I consulted the discography on here and saw that QZ/PD had a higher rating which is why I chose to include that album and not the first one. Otherwise it would be eight albums if I had both.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

[Also, I'd count Aerosol Gray as the 1st VDGG album and drop off PleasureDome.]

Not being familiar with those albums I consulted the discography on here and saw that QZ/PD had a higher rating which is why I chose to include that album and not the first one. Otherwise it would be eight albums if I had both.

I like both, but Aerosol much more.  Hey, how's that for a poll, bands with streaks of 8 great albums LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:15
I vote for Jethro Tull. Great run and a lot of fantastic music, but most others are in the same boat; I just love those Tull albums.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 16:40
Went with Yes but there's really nothing in it between Yes and GG for me. 
Run Home Slow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Run Home Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 17:11
I voted also for VdGG, but what about that list, pretty nice  Smile

If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 17:32
1) I could actually pick any sequence of seven albums out of Art Zoyd's catalogue and find it competitive.
2) Can's first six albums are awesome but the seventh one, Landed, lets them down a bit. Inserting Unlimited Edition instead they'd have a winning sequence day and night.
3) I love Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome and its inclusion will actually make me vote VDGG, otherwise Pink Floyd would've grabbed it.

Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 20:31
This is a really hard one! It’s between Pink Floyd and Gentle Giant, with VdGG and Genesis close behind. Also like Eloy’s run, but starting with Inside.
GG +1
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 21:07
I don't know all of these, but of the ones I know, it would have to be Pink Floyd, closely followed by Yes. For me Rick Wakeman has his own run of wonderful albums from 6 Wives to Criminal Record (considering Journey as part of the run).
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 21:13
Gentle Giant

Could have voted VDGG or Camel too.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 21:30
Strawbs had a pretty good run - Dragonfly thru Ghosts, or, if you count the live album, "Antiques and Curios" thru Ghosts.   
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 22:02
I think in terms of amazing progression---(it is called progressive rock) moving their sound forward in huge steps---bringing amazing musicians on board to advance the sound----YES did it 100%--up until GFTO.

some of the other bands did ok but overall sound stayed the same.

but Genesis was pretty great too...Wink
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2018 at 22:15
Really want to vote for Yes, and while I love Time and a Word, it's not as good as the other 6 albums in the run.

Pink Floyd's is also great, though Obscured by Clouds kills that one for me.

It's between Porcupine Tree and Genesis, and I'm going to go with Genesis, because while Signify and Stupid Dream were good, Genesis's 7 were all just totally incredible. Each one was marvelous in its own way. I will also add that Genesis's 7 is the only streak on this list where all 7 albums have 4+ stars on the site (Gentle Giant comes very close, but the debut falls just short).

Also, I would have dropped Nude and included Camel's debut; I get that would kill the streak based on the site scores because I Can See Your House From Here has, if I remember correctly, a 2.97, but I've always thought that album was brutally underrated.

Edited by tempest_77 - August 21 2018 at 22:17
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:01
1 Camel (Breathless and ICSYHFH are not as good as the rest, but still very good)
2 IQ (Ever to Road of Bones)
3 Genesis
4 Strawbs (Dragonfly to Ghosts)
5 Gentle Giant
6 Marillion
7 Rush (the early ones are just OK)

All the other bands listed did at least one real stinker somewhere in the list (eg A Passion Play, TFTO, The Wall). See a common link?

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 02:04
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

2) Can's first six albums are awesome but the seventh one, Landed, lets them down a bit. Inserting Unlimited Edition instead they'd have a winning sequence day and night.
I can't believe I didn't think of them myself. I even love Landed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>