Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 09:07
I believe Ian Anderson is proof that a band can have a progressive development from a counterreaction to beatle-mania, that the early development of prog even in britain can have a origin from a counter-reaction or affected by the Beatles.

Edited by Icarium - September 04 2018 at 09:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 09:41
^ I believe so. I don't think that Robert Fripp liked the Beatles (I could be wrong) but KC did the prog thing pretty well.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 09:47
Though i respect and admire the way the Beatles and Srg Pepper opend up in terms of sounds and bands whom in their timeperiod were directly and indirectly influenced ć, effected, mooved by their music. Yet bands like Cream, Jethro Tull and Crimson perhaps were not as much
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I heard a Zappa interview where he was asked about the Beatles & he said they were "OK"( implying they were not great in his tone) Frank said he was much more of a Stones fan.

(Ironic side note , Eleanor Rigby just popped up on my play list as I was typing this!)

Well....Zappa was even more obvious

He said about The Shaggs

"They are better than the Beatles"

You can say sarcastic, joke..Yes....But clearly not a Beatles fan.

Yet Zappa covered I am the Walrus on his '88 tour...don't recall him ever covering the Shaggs LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 12:00
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^ I believe so. I don't think that Robert Fripp liked the Beatles (I could be wrong) but KC did the prog thing pretty well.

That's interesting,  since....I have read that Fripp thought Pepper was groundbreaking and that the Beatles influenced many musicians and also I have read that Anderson said certain albums like Pepper influenced him and other musicians.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 13:19
^ I don't set great store on the sayings of Mr. Fripp. Perhaps he personally didn't like the Beatles. Except for Yoko. ;)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:11
^ Well...apparently Fripp has said in print and interview that The Beatles and Pepper was a big influence to him....and as I said above Anderson has said the same about Pepper....so if they have changed their minds then that's news.
The Beatles are not the be all and end all of what happened with music then but they certainly were influential when they started adding orchestration and studio effects and expanding the possibilities of music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:47
Curious that the 60s rockers were not affected by the ”hand holding” era of the Beatles. Though the hip young musicians listened to the blues and went more the John Mayall route, still, the Beatles were a huge leap from anything coming from Europe at the time. There was the Shadows and that was about it.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 19:09

I'm not sure that this is quite right, although I like the joke and the laugh it gave me!

RF, more than likely will have appreciated a lot of the compositional side of things in some of the Beatles material, however, RF's musical design and abilities tend to come a lot more from experimentation and development of themes, than they would from a rock music context. In this sense, a lot of KC is quite "classical" in its music design. RF is more into the textures in the music itself and their ability to interplay, which as a music design, is very progressive, and not the same as setting up a riff and then making a 5minute song out of it, and call it progressive! Not to mention that the song design is the same most of the time!

The strange side of it, is that RF has stated that KC is not progressive, and I tend to agree with him some and also to disagree on the same sentence. It is "progressive" when compared to most "popular" music, that is less designed as a composition, and more into something else that has a lot less "music" (in the academic context) in it, than simply a following of a riff with a solo over it. Most classical music did that in the days of MOZART, and got bored with it since. Thus, seeing this revival in popular music is kinda interesting, but also scary, and then calling it "progressive" because of a different looking bass guitar, and a classical handset playing of notes, done on a synthesizer so it is not recognizable as an orchestral instrument ... this is where it gets really scary.

I'm not sure that the SOUND, should be defined as MUSIC, but in the 20th century this separation has been blurred badly!

I like to say, here ... UNPLUG IT ... and you and I know that KC will stand out, as will most of ELP (witness Rachel Flowers) ... but a lot of bands, would not stand up at all in this area, and in fact might sound/look really bad!

Edited by moshkito - September 04 2018 at 19:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 20:27
There is actually nothing different in KC, Tull or The Beatles as far as form goes. The sections are rather few and the main part of the song is verse, chorus and middle 8. Solos extend a song to 10 min or more.

KC doing Islands (the last song off the album) is no different that A Day In The Life.

I also do not "value" any type of music more than some other. I listen to baroque music and selected symphonic era stuff. In a typical Vivaldi concerto, there are parts that show more development (toward sonata form) but basically are similar bits of melody and riffs as is rock music.

The final triumph of classical, symphonies etc follows set rules, or at least has some elements of these types of variations, in related keys etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata_form#Introduction

Edited by Tero1 - September 04 2018 at 20:28
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 22:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ Well...apparently Fripp has said in print and interview that The Beatles and Pepper was a big influence to him....and as I said above Anderson has said the same about Pepper....so if they have changed their minds then that's news.
The Beatles are not the be all and end all of what happened with music then but they certainly were influential when they started adding orchestration and studio effects and expanding the possibilities of music.

I believe it fully. The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles & Fripp sounds really much Beatles, but in a very great way!
Also, I believe Stand Up and Benefit would have sounded different if the main influence there had been Stones and other brit blues.

Edited by Mortte - September 04 2018 at 23:51
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 04:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I've read the same statements years ago, so I'm not contesting them. Just the reliability of someone who plays guitar sitting on a bar stool. ;) But to paraphrase Dark Elf, there's those that admit influence by the Beatles, like Fripp, and those who don't and are just liars.
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 05:32
It's quite remarkable what McCartney has achieved with just an intuitive approach to music. He had some piano lessons once, and immediately showed off with the piano parts of Martha My Dear. He composes stuff like the Liverpool Oratorio on a computer.

Edited by Tero1 - September 05 2018 at 05:33
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 06:33
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

It's quite remarkable what McCartney has achieved with just an intuitive approach to music. He had some piano lessons once, and immediately showed off with the piano parts of Martha My Dear. He composes stuff like the Liverpool Oratorio on a computer.
Yes, Macca was a naturally talented musician who was born with that certain gift where you can just pick up and play any instrument. A very talented chap, no doubt.

Edited by SteveG - September 05 2018 at 06:34
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 14:02
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

The piano on Martha My Dear is my all time favorite Beatle keyboard part.  I've learned it, forgotten it, and relearned it too many times to count LOL  While only George Martin could have played the harpsichord break on "In My Life", only Paul could have written Martha's bouncy piano section Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 00:10

Well he stated once that hearing A Day In The Life changed his whole perspective on music.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 03:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Well he stated once that hearing A Day In The Life changed his whole perspective on music.
Yes, I recall reading that statement from Fripp too, along with some critiques of the band. I detected a flip flop, so I wasn't sure of where he stood, as he's such an eccentric person, and that's all I was stating. But If you look back in the record, Fripp has said a lot about the Beatles' influence on his own work. It's quite lengthy so I'm happy to go with a preponderance of the evidence.

Edited by SteveG - September 06 2018 at 04:28
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:47

I know I said that I'd stick to the topic, but was UK pirate radio a reaction to the Beatles or was the Beatles a result of UK pirate radio? The first UK pirate Radio Caroline first broadcast sometime in 1964.

Beatlemania (1963) was a phenomenon that hadn't been seen since the postwar 'bobbysoxers' who screamed at Sinatra, and back then there wasn't much TV in Britain so people took less notice.

Pop music took off in a big way after Beatlemania and it was the dire lack of mainstream pop radio (which was not caused by The Beatles of course) which prompted the rise of the pirates. So I think you'd say that Beatlemania was the catalyst, but really it was the non-exiistence of pop radio that really led to the pirates.

But then, the pirates helped keep The Beatles in the teenage minds, so it was a kind of 'virtuous circle' I think?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2018 at 18:43
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I believe Ian Anderson is proof that a band can have a progressive development from a counterreaction to beatle-mania, that the early development of prog even in britain can have a origin from a counter-reaction or affected by the Beatles.

I believe this would be incorrect. RF would, and does, appreciate a lot of the composition side of the Beatles material, and while that is not enough to influence what RF/KC did, in the end, even RF has stated that KC is not progressive, and it is very clear why ... they are ... let's say, the best classical music folks around, in that they rehearse and study their work so that it can be developed and worked to a very well thought out and designed piece of music ... most bands, are not that well versed and studied musically to appreciate that and stop at a simple/single riff to get a "song" going. 

KC, breaks the rock music mold, of the "simple" and repeated concept in design of each and every piece. And this places, RF and KC far and above a lot of bands when it comes to the music design.

The Beatles helped define that rock music was not just done by street folks that did not even know A from B or C, or how to count. KC, went much further than that, by working the compositions to a very well developed piece of music ... which we remember so well and vividly today!

It will only have to do with the Beatles if we give them some credit for elevating "popular music" above and beyond a simple ditty and song. But even this is something that most folks here do not accept and wish to discuss, as they consider almost everything just another pop song. Not all folks, and musicians, in rock music are, or consider themselves ... "pop musicians".

I believe that Ian is bitter and has run out of things to say in his old age. Not to mention that he has ignored a lot of music from the rest of the world!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2018 at 10:11
I'm not into the "Beatlemania" era of The Beatles...not as much, anyway. I own the albums and understand the impact they had. It was the artistically adventurous Beatles that hooked me...from Revolver onward...LOVE that stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>