Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 09:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I kinda think that the Beatles did for rock music, what the Jazz did for American music in the 50's and 60's.

It brought it to the mainstream.

The part that is missing, and probably should be mentioned, was how the Beatles, Kinks, Rolling Stones and others even GOT to the mainstream, which was Pirate Radio in that part of the world

Remember that even the Beatles, and Rolling Stones, are considered two of the worst BUSINESS DECISIONS ever made, even with folks at the BBC trashing it.

All in all, they all helped usher in the new era of the arts, and an era that should be remembered as the most valuable and important in the 20th century for its incredible array of diversity and explosion of creativity and development of instruments.

There probably wasn't even such a thing as 'rock music' before the mid-60s - The Beatles, along with the Stones, The Who, The Animals, The Kinks, etc helped to invent the medium out of a fusion of what had gone before. That was rock'n'roll (itself a fusion), R&B which emerged from blues, with elements of soul and jazz and - let us not forget - British "Music Hall".

You mustn't underestimate the power of the pirates - before that, young people tuned religiously into the very limited pop output of the BBC including TV shows, the ITV shows, and perhaps most important, Radio Luxembourg in the evenings despite the awful signal. When pirates came along in the wake of Beatlemania kids bought transistor radios just to listen to the all-day pirates, and from there they went to record stores in their droves, listened again there, and bought what they liked. It was the limited availability of broadcast rock and pop which made it so valuable and powerful to us back then.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 11:15
The UK had pirates. The US had Ed Sullivan. The result was the same: Beatlemania!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 11:21
I know I said that I'd stick to the topic, but was UK pirate radio a reaction to the Beatles or was the Beatles a result of UK pirate radio? The first UK pirate Radio Caroline first broadcast sometime in 1964.

Edited by SteveG - August 30 2018 at 04:18
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 14:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The UK had pirates. The US had Ed Sullivan. The result was the same: Beatlemania!

Don't forget the self proclaimed "5th Beatle", Murray the K Wink
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 21:08
The band House of Love has a wonderful song dedicated to the power of the music of (both) The Beatles and the Stones (called, perhaps unsurprisingly, "The Beatles and the Stones"). 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 04:17
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

True, but Murray was only a mortal. Sullivan was a god! Wink
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

You mustn't underestimate the power of the pirates - before that, young people tuned religiously into the very limited pop output of the BBC including TV shows, the ITV shows, and perhaps most important, Radio Luxembourg in the evenings despite the awful signal. When pirates came along in the wake of Beatlemania kids bought transistor radios just to listen to the all-day pirates, and from there they went to record stores in their droves, listened again there, and bought what they liked. It was the limited availability of broadcast rock and pop which made it so valuable and powerful to us back then.

I think it was the same thing with the radio short wave invasion of the Communist world, by playing Beatles, Rolling Stones and many other bands ... it got the youngsters attention, which I think helped bring things to a major change eventually. There were several doing this in the 60's and 70's.

There is a song, by Guru Guru on their album TANGO FANGO that kinda mentions the differences in music between East and West Germany and makes a nice satire of the whole thing, but in the end, it's feedback and rock music ... as the new representatives of the young folks, in both countries. I always find that piece fascinating, despite my not understanding German, but the intent is quite obvious and fun. The book about "krautrock" (Future Days) also discusses this a lot.

So, yes, there is a lot to be said about non-commercial radio and its place in the airwaves. 

I do wish, however, that the Internet took on a bit more of that spirit ... though too much of the material out there is just fan-raves for the same record companies and top selling/sounding bands. It's really hard to find something original, that doesn't go back to a "known" piece of music 5 minutes later!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 10:13

True, but Murray was only a mortal. Sullivan was a god! Wink

Maybe, but a god doesn't always get his way.  After all, Jim Morrison did sing, "girl we couldn't get much HIGHER" against Sullivan's orders LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 11:15

True, but Murray was only a mortal. Sullivan was a god! Wink

Maybe, but a god doesn't always get his way.  After all, Jim Morrison did sing, "girl we couldn't get much HIGHER" against Sullivan's orders LOL
Who ever has never thumbed his nose at God let him cast the first stone!
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 05:45
I was in Finland for part of the 60s, and there was some Beatles music on the radio by 65 but not the Stones. Also, covers of Beatles songs, very light rock style. By 69 it was an hour or two of pop music on the radion. State independent FM stations did not appear till about 1980.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by Tero1 Tero1 wrote:

I was in Finland for part of the 60s, and there was some Beatles music on the radio by 65 but not the Stones. Also, covers of Beatles songs, very light rock style. By 69 it was an hour or two of pop music on the radion. State independent FM stations did not appear till about 1980.
And Finns have been overdosing on prog in order to catch up. Excellent! Wink
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 13:38
^As a Finn I would not say so. Although prog has some popularity here in the begin of 2000, I think it could have always said to be here less or more underground.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 15:11
I think prog is underground everywhere. 
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 16:05
Some years ago I knew a guy from Liverpool who had seen The Beatles at The Cavern, and he insisted that Abba were better songwriters. All I could think of was, I wish I could find someone who was jealous of me for growing up in the mid to late 70's in Australia.

Edited by Braka - August 31 2018 at 16:06
Tero1 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tero1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 19:55
I’m listening to This Was. I never bought the LP and only jumped on to being a Tull fan by Benefit (lots of air play) and Stand Up. I can see the influence of This Was and the somewhat more experimental style. But all in all I would not say they were still much in the category of basic rock, not far from the White Album or Abbey Road. I had some more progressive albums at the time, mostly from cutout bins,as they were not selling in the US. I eventually got This Was as CD. My college days favorite was Thick as a Brick, not Aqualung. By then I had Pink Floyd albums as well.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 22:23
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

Some years ago I knew a guy from Liverpool who had seen The Beatles at The Cavern, and he insisted that Abba were better songwriters. All I could think of was, I wish I could find someone who was jealous of me for growing up in the mid to late 70's in Australia.
If you have seen the Boys Next Door/ the Birthday Party live then, then I am really jealous to you! I have seen Midnight Oil live in 1990, but I can believe they were much better in the end of seventies/ begin of eighties. I have seen two songs played live from Red Sails In the Sunset-times and they got then really much more energy!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:31
I've never thought that Ian could have been a Beatles fan, so no surprise. The best beatles album for me is Abbey Road, their only prog effort. The side long track, even if made of short songs tied together is for me a true prog track.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 16:20
^Well, a lot of people say Sgt. Peppers is prog also. I wouldn't say Abbey Road is their only prog album. Nope. I think they hinted at prog but never really made the leap. Then again neither did the Rolling Stones. The Beatles did sew the seeds for the genre but they weren't the only ones.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 14:36
really don't mind if I sit this one outWink---but I'll chime in---The Beatles were part of bringing British music to USA--all my fav groups are British ---both of them Yes and Genesis have said that as young lads the Beatles opened up the possibilities of music --so thanks Beatles----I enjoyed both The Beatles and the Stones (especially those early Stones albums) but wasn't  obsessed by either---I was more into American bands like CSNY Joni (know she's Canadian)  Laura Nyro and the Doors.Smile
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 20:28
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I heard a Zappa interview where he was asked about the Beatles & he said they were "OK"( implying they were not great in his tone) Frank said he was much more of a Stones fan.

(Ironic side note , Eleanor Rigby just popped up on my play list as I was typing this!)

Well....Zappa was even more obvious

He said about The Shaggs

"They are better than the Beatles"

You can say sarcastic, joke..Yes....But clearly not a Beatles fan.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - September 03 2018 at 20:31

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>