Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avenged Sevenfold for Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 20:56
Yeah... honestly, I don't dislike the song, but it's a pretty weird lead single. M. Shadows' vocals are also pretty much shot here, which is a shame... but I'll keep an open mind and see what happens. To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of Nightmare's lead singles either, but I ended up being a big fan of the album as a whole Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 21:16
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Yeah... honestly, I don't dislike the song, but it's a pretty weird lead single. M. Shadows' vocals are also pretty much shot here, which is a shame... but I'll keep an open mind and see what happens. To be fair, I wasn't a huge fan of Nightmare's lead singles either, but I ended up being a big fan of the album as a whole Smile

I was too young for Nightmare at release lol

I starting listening to band just as they were releasing the singles for Hail to the King - even as a 14 y/o, I was unimpressed lmao I did, however, purchase Nightmare due to a Facebook recommendation back in 2012 when "im bored. give me music recs" was a thing lol and I still think Nightmare, being as influential to 14 y/o bardberic as it were, had a MAJOR impact on my interest in prog, and I would even go on as far to say that it was kind of a start to my prog interests, whether I understood at the time or not. But yeah, the singles for Nightmare we're kind of... underwhelming, I suppose? Just like this one. They work in the context of the album, but I don't like them on their own. That's why I hope this will fit into the album, just like the singles for Nightmare did, as I indicated above. Otherwise let's just hope this was a dud.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 02:13
Oh my, now this is what I'm talking about :) This one makes the last single sound like a pop song holy sh*t, no wonder that's why they chose that one. That's a good sign.

Another single dropped, and this is what I was hoping for for the album - pure progressive avant-garde metal. We're talking highly over-the-top experimentation. My hope for the album has been restored and if this is more representative of the album than the last single, the band is an obvious inclusion for Prog Related, no doubt.

I'll review this tomorrow, here :)

Edited by bardberic - May 17 2023 at 02:19
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 12:55
How do people on this site feel about Metallica and Lou Reed's Lulu? Because that's the level of experimentation I'm picking up here on this one. For the record I happen to like Lulu. A different execution for sure, but this blows the last single out of the park imo. I believe if the whole album sounded like this single, they'd be eligible for inclusion on this site and The Stage definitely helps their case.

Once again brilliant production, for what this is. And a cool music video, but this time the vocals are not a let down. I think Matthew sounds much better on this one than the last one, and even the whole of The Stage. Here's staining, for sure, but it works. I like this one :)

Like The Stage, however, I think they would have been better off making this a surprise release instead of releasing singles ahead of time. I think this king of skin would do better without singles for promotion.

Edited by bardberic - May 17 2023 at 13:00
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 00:50
So the album's out.

It's AWESOME! By far the best album they've ever put out, and easily their most progressive (it makes The Stage look non-progressive in comparison).

In a few days, once I've absorbed the album and can make an argument for them I'll revive this suggestion. I'm actually going to go for post/experimental metal, rather than progressive metal, since this is the album we're going off of here, since The Stage didn't cut it. Their future is looking more in the experimental direction than traditional prog, anyway.

I'd have pushed for Prog-Related before the release of this album, but now I'd rather see them in Post/Experimental - there are two ways to go about this. Either add them to Post/Experimental Metal for this album, or add them to Prog Related for their entire career.

In any case, here's their album: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpSW6gVRk77GuNqJWnSwjF2ZbL1m0VCgB

And as of this minute, their RYM genre tags are Avant-garde Metal and Progressive Metal, with a whopping 3.81 rating, which is great for that site and by far their highest score on the site. The wait was well worth it. https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/avenged-sevenfold/life-is-but-a-dream%E2%80%A6/

My only complaint is that the clean vocals on the album are absolutely grating at times - and yes, M. Shadows is once again regularly using harsh vocals, and they sound great!

Edit: This may make my AotY endlist - it's that good.

Edited by bardberic - June 02 2023 at 01:03
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 02:04
Yep, out today - listening right now. https://tagyourmusic.org/releases/55149
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 02:07
First thought listening to Mattel ... can we get Mike Patton to sing this? ;-) 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 03:09
Done. Nice! Definitely progressive avant-garde metal. What does that mean for the artist? I think the most accurate way to describe it is that Avenged Sevenfold are now a "partially progressive" band. The best way to visualize this is a graphical chart of the progressiveness of an artist over time.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 03:16
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

"partially progressive" band.

True, they have released 8 albums, 2 out of those 8 have progressive elements. I don't know or see how this band would be cleared for progressive metal (or exp/post). Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 06:21
Since genre is assigned only on the artist level at PA, there is no good solution for artists like this. You can either add them and pretend that all their releases are progressive (because that's what it will say on the website), or not add them, thus making PA a less complete resource for progressive music. Or fix the structure (which M@x surely won't do at this point).
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 09:53
First of all, all of their releases have progressive elements, except for one of them (looking at you HttK). To deny this is elitism. What they have now is two straight up prog albums. In this regard they are similar to Queen in that most Queen albums have some progressive elements, but three of their first four are straight up prog, and a handful don't have any.

Second of all, if I'm not mistaken, an artist here can be added on the basis of having only have one undeniably progressive album, even if their others aren't, no?

Edit: I also found this Reddit post that basically summarizes the band's progressivness very well, from r/progmetal. This guy apparently was also introduced to progressive music through A7X (as I stated below, a lot of people have been introduced to prog from this band) , which is why I think they're a great fit for Prog-Related due to how influential in the prog realm they are, despite their mainstream-ness.

The hard part with the band is getting over their aesthetics and appearance, their accessibility, and their metal "clichés" to to look at the music from a compositional point of view. Remember that Encyclopedia Metallum has rejected the band for these very reasons and have refused to accept the band claiming they're "hard rock," which we all know is BS. To deny them off their "metalness" (to parallel the pseudo-word "progressiveness") is also just elitism in the same way as it is to deny their "progressiveness." No, they're not Metallica (but at some points they may as well be lol), they're also not Dream Theater. But they come very close to both at various times throughout their career.

For instance here are two songs from 2005. The whole second half of this album is prog-adjacent. The first song I linked here is straight up prog metal song, and the second is extremely prog adjacent. Three other songs breach the eight minute mark;

Here's one from 2007, although tbf this album was a step down in terms of "progressiveness," I don't know much about it do idk of other songs here are prog-adjacent like this one symphonic avant-gardeprpg metal song a la Diablo Swing Orchestra:

Next in 2010, we have Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater playing drums the album, making this one a collaboration with a prog artist (another thing that is looked at on this site). This album is more or less a step up in the prog, bordering the prog metal territory throughout most of the album (hence Portnoy on drums). The album concluder is in my opinion a top tier prog song and 11 years after hearing it is still one of my favorites. "Save Me" was arguably my introduction to progressive music in general, and I think a lot of people my age were introduced to prog from the album Nightmare. While this is more of an aspect looked at in prog-related, it's still worth noting that the band has influenced prog and has been an influence in prog in this regard. This is the first album to really pay a lot of attention to:

We're gonna pretend 2013 never happened lmfao Moving on.

2016, The Stage, for which this thread was originally opened is a continuation in the development of the sound they crafted in the second half of 2005's City of Evil, and picks up right where 2010's Nightmare left off. They also took the avant-garde metal elements from their eponymous album as well and mixed that in. What we have here is the band's first true progressive metal album in its entirety. Any song on the album you listen to will sound like prog, except maybe God Damn which is thrash. I'm liking the 15 minute album concluder here, first - a fine example of prog metal, followed by Sunny Disposition, a prog song in a more avant-garde style. I'm also throwing in Roman Sky, a more traditional progressive rock song that even some of the older users here may like:

The whole album is linked here:
http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGN96WAC2Fv2DNdIbAHQsGVO3IxNawtu4

And of course their new album in 2023, after a seven year gap between albums, was a further development in the direction of the The Stage, that pushed to the band to further boundaries and uncomfortable territory. This album stepped up their avant-garde material considerably. I would call this one a straight up progressive avant-garde metal album. Call me crazy, but in many ways this one reminds me of ELO's Out of the Blue, due to the heavy use of vocoders and the fusion of both orchestral and electronic elements, as well as it being the bands second foray into true prog and thus a refinement of this sound. If I'm not mistaken, this is the band's first concept album and I believe the concept is something along the lines of experiencing ego-death, that is the perception that your soul has left your body and thus the world is meaningless or something - I have to do more research on the concept. I linked the whole album here last night. Edit: embedding the G.O.D. suite here as it is the standout along with Cosmic, imo:

A standout for me right off the bat is Cosmic, so I'll embed that, too:

and the G.O.D. suite:

But once again the whole album: http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxA687tYuMWhOiau-ePBBnRUZMfW5J-Vk

Edit: As recommended in the Reddit post, I'll embed the song "I Won't See You Tonight Part I." Not my cup of tea, but it is on the proggy side:

Edited by bardberic - June 02 2023 at 11:19
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 10:12
^ Suggest the band with a biography, band photo and listening links and let's see what happens. I'll vote last and go with the team. If Gordy, Sebastian and Brendan think they are a fit, I'll add them myself. If they get negative votes, then, that's that... 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 10:15
I do agree that most of A7X's albums have been prog adjacent. If they were to be included on PA, I believe it would be for a similar reason to Katatonia's inclusion: rumblings of prog in their discography that finally culminated in one unabashedly progressive album. And for the record, I do consider Life is But a Dream to be a full-on prog/avant-garde metal record. So while the band's inclusion may be an uphill battle, I'm curious to see what the rest of the team thinks about all of this Thumbs Up
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 10:16
^^ also, since you mention Queen and Metallica (who are prog-related here on PA), maybe also make a case for prog-related. 

Edited by Cristi - June 02 2023 at 10:16
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2023 at 10:25
Alright I'll work on it within the next few days. I'll let the new album settle in a bit first

Edit: My main argument I guess, and I messaged this to Necrotica but I feel it's a good argument here, too, is that the band really is an introductory prog band, just like Muse, due to their accessibility which is unusual for bands as complex an them. While they're not Dream Theater, an A7X fan easily could become a Dream Theater fan shortly down the line.

Yes I may have actually started in Prog Related, but due to my Avatar post, I've been recommended to start this under either Prog or Post/Exp Metal before moving onto Prog Related. At this point any of the three are fine.

Edited by bardberic - June 02 2023 at 10:44
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2023 at 08:38
The new album has many prog merits and their past output is not without prog leanings but it's a long way from there to PA Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2023 at 08:39
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

The new album has many prog merits and their past output is not without prog leanings but it's a long way from there to PA Wink

Thumbs Up
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2023 at 09:24
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Cool. Let's talk about the many "prog merits" of some of our favorite metal bands here like Symphony X and Dream Theater.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2023 at 09:31
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

Cool. Let's talk about the many "prog merits" of some of our favorite metal bands here like Symphony X and Dream Theater.

really, now Symphony X and DT are under doubt?!

There you go

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 03:46
Bradley Hall knows something about music ... he felt the need to say this about the new release:

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 05 2023 at 03:47
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>