Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avenged Sevenfold for Prog Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 03:54
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Bradley Hall knows something about music ... he felt the need to say this about the new release:

I don't share his enthusiasm for the album. 
One of the best prog album ever? It's not (even close to) one of the best of 2023 (and we're not half way through yet). 
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2023 at 05:49
^ Me neither, but it definitely grew on me when I listened to it the second time today. The vocals begin to make sense, at first I was really turned off by them. Remains to be seen what will happen next ...

But regardless of whether one likes it or not, it is definitely, 100%, a progressive album.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 05 2023 at 05:50
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 08:22
So I think it's time for the evaluation. I think the band should be looked at, initially, for progressive metal, but I wouldn't be opposed for a post/experimental metal evaluation, either. If it were possible to directly evaluate for Prog Related, I would submit them for that instead. Obviously, if they aren't accepted for prog metal, then please evaluate them for Prog Related. Their newest album, Life Is but a Dream frequently gets compared to Muse due to the experimental nature of the music. I would also put them in the Muse/Queen realm of prog, for the most part.

Bio: Avenged Sevenfold is an American metal band from Huntington Beach, California, formed in 1999. Throughout their entire career, M. Shadows has been the band's vocalist, providing both clean and harsh vocals, when necessary, and Zacky Vengeance has been their rhythm guitarist. In 2001, Synyster Gates joined the band as their lead guitarist, and Johnny Christ has been their bassist since 2002. Founding member, The Rev, the band's drummer from 1999 until 2009, unfortunately died in 2009. Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater played the drums for the band's 2010 album, Nightmare, and Arin Ilejay played the drums from 2011-2015. Brooks Wackerman has been the band's drummer since 2015.

Avenged Sevenfold is a band that has explored many styles. Originally rooted in a punk-laden Metalcore sound, the band gravitated towards a more traditional sounding heavy metal style during their career's popular height. For the most part, the band has always incorporated elements for prog into their sound, occasionally even playing straight progressive metal; however, in 2016, the band became a full-fledged progressive metal band with the release of their album, The Stage. In 2023, with the release of their album Life Is but a Dream..., they've gravitated towards an avant-garde metal sound, on top of their prog. Since 2005, the band has frequently been referred to as an alternative metal band, as well as a hard rock band, and even sometimes a "pop metal" band due to the accessible nature of their music, which emphasizes rock and metal cliches, the use of palm-muted guitar playing, and a more lighthearted, hookier approach to music than for what most traditional metals bands are known; however, they've always employed different degrees of experimentation within their music.

Collectively, their music has sold over 8 million copies around the world. Guitar World has ranked Synyster Gates as the 9th best guitarist of all time.

https://www.avengedsevenfold.com/
https://m.facebook.com/AvengedSevenfold
https://m.youtube.com/user/avengedsevenfold

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2023 at 08:33
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 09:38
Most of their post-metalcore albums include progressive ideas. I remember when I first heard City of Evil, thinking that some of the tracks were defintely prog-related. As far as I know they´ve since made both less progressive tinged albums, and more progressive tinged albums. The reviews I´ve read of the new album all indicate some progressive tendencies.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2023 at 10:01
We''ve already established in this thread that their two most recent albums are 100% progressive metal. And the rest of their discography has prog tendencies, as well, to varying degrees as you implied.

For a brief breakdown:

2001 - Sounding the Seventh Trumpet = Melodic Metalcore, mostly demo quality recordings (no prog)
2003 - Waking the Fallen = Melodic Metalcore + Heavy Metal, some prog tendencies, here and there
2005 - City of Evil = Heavy Metal + some Melodic Metalcore riffing, and maybe some Alt Metal and Hard Rock undertones, + tons of prog elements and even some straight up prog moments
2007 - eponymous = Heavy Metal + Groove Metal + Alternative Metal, some avant-garde moments and lots of experimentation, and maybe some minimal prog tendencies, and one 8 minute Avat-garde Metal opus
2010 - Nightmare = Heavy Metal + Hard Rock + some Alternative Metal and Alternative Rock, lots of progressive moments, and one 10 minute straight up progressive metal opus
2013 - Hail to the King = Classical Heavy Metal + Classical Hard Rock, no prog whatsoever (let's pretend this one never happened)
2016 - The Stage = Progressive Metal + Heavy Metal, and lots of progressive rock, including one 15 minute progressive metal/rock opus
2023 - Life Is but a Dream = Progressive Metal + lots of Avant-garde Metal + lots of Alternative Metal + a little bit of Symphonic Prog

There's enough prog throughout their career, even before 2016 for me to like to see them in Prog related for the very same reasons Muse is there - and apparently I'm not the only one who see's parallels to A7X and Muse, especially in their newest album; 2016's The Stage solidified them as a necessity for prog related, and 2023's LIbaD now poses the question of whether they should be in prog related or progressive/post-exp metal proper.

Edited by bardberic - June 27 2023 at 10:06
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2023 at 20:34
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Most of their post-metalcore albums include progressive ideas. I remember when I first heard City of Evil, thinking that some of the tracks were defintely prog-related. As far as I know they´ve since made both less progressive tinged albums, and more progressive tinged albums. The reviews I´ve read of the new album all indicate some progressive tendencies.

^This. I was always partial to "Burn It Down", the single I first heard on Headbangers Ball, with its distinctly proggy moments. This was around the time System of a Down miraculously put out a pop-progressive metal song which landed on the charts ("B.Y.O.B.") and Slipknot found similar success with "Vermilion", post-metal-pop. A fun time for adventurous music-lovers who also happened to listen to pop radio, like me.

Thanks for the thought-out biography. I think AS stand an excellent chance in Related more than anywhere else on PA, but I've never found it clear to whom I should send the request.

Edited by Gordy - June 28 2023 at 20:36
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2023 at 14:01
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

^This. I was always partial to "Burn It Down", the single I first heard on Headbangers Ball, with its distinctly proggy moments. This was around the time System of a Down miraculously put out a pop-progressive metal song which landed on the charts ("B.Y.O.B.") and Slipknot found similar success with "Vermilion", post-metal-pop. A fun time for adventurous music-lovers who also happened to listen to pop radio, like me.

Thanks for the thought-out biography. I think AS stand an excellent chance in Related more than anywhere else on PA, but I've never found it clear to whom I should send the request.

I think we're all in agreeance, myself included, that A7X should be added to Prog Related, since their pre-2016 material doesn't cut it for true prog metal, but their newer material absolutely would - let's say A7X disbanded in 2015 and reformed in 2016 under a new name, let's call them "Band X" in this hypothetical, "Band X" almost certainly would have been added to Progressive Metal if not in 2016, then definitely this month. However, they did not rename and they're using the same alias as they did in 1999. The height of their career has long passed and their prog material will likely never reach the same level of popularity as their, for all intents and purposes, "non-prog" material. Thus, A7X is not remembered as a prog metal band, but a pop metal band with prog tendencies who later became prog metal. On the other hand, it looks like the band's career from here on out is going to remain in a more experimental realm, and thus at the present, and most likely future, they ARE a prog band, despite not necessarily being one historically. This leads to the argument that since Avenged Sevenfold IS prog band (even though they WEREN'T) that they should be included in progressive metal proper, as this site archives all progressive acts, which A7X is (at least at the moment).

Either argument is okay in my eyes, but I think most people would agree with the former (although I'm beginning to lean towards the latter, the more I think about it). At this point, because the band has released straight up progressive albums, their influence on and from progressive music cannot be ignored, and thus not including them on this site, whether they're in prog related or prog metal, would make this a less comprehensive prog database, even if by lacking in a single band that was considered for evaluation, and thus not a fair archival of prog. Therefore the band should be included in one capacity or another. I should also add for non-fans of the band that pre-2016 A7X is "prog-related" for the same reasons that Metallica is. At times, the band has even been deemed a Metallica worship band. That is the guitarist (Synyster Gates) is highly virtuostic and the band's songwriting is often expansive, unconventional, and "proggy," if you will, to accommodate this, such that songs often feel like a journey that starts in one place, goes somewhere else, and ends in a completely place than they started. A great example of this would their songs Buried Alive and The Sidewinder (the latter of which I would call proper progressive metal).

Again, I think most people who have been paying attention here would agree with A7X being added to prog related. But "most people's" opinion here doesn't matter. Only the opinion of the site Admins matter in this case. If they have never listened to this band before, and they go to Youtube to look at their biggest singles, as many people do when first learning of a band, they aren't going to get a fair understanding of the band's progressive tendencies, since their biggest singles are their least progressive. So in this regard, we're at the mercy of the Admins' and how they decide to view the artist. The dilemma here, though, is if A7X is directly rejected from Progressive Metal, because we'd all rather see them in Prog Related, but the the site Admins haven't been following this discussion and they reject the band, then they won't be able to be included on this site at all. This is a problem as per paragraph 2 that states that rejecting A7X would make this site a less complete archival of progressive music, at which point, it would have been better to add them to Progressive Metal than to hope for their inclusion in Prog Related. In this regard it's better to not take the risk of total rejection from the site than it is to have the band in a less satisfactory category here. Since the band CAN potentially be included in Progressive Metal proper, it's probably safer to go with that, despite the community belief thus far that they're better off for Prog Related.

This is what separates A7X from Muse - Muse has never released a full-fledged progressive rock album, despite their consistent use of experimental ideas and progressive tendencies. Calling them a "progressive rock" band isn't really accurate. But to deny them of their prog tendencies does the band a disservice, and thus the only place on a prog archival site like this for them to satisfactorily be situated is indeed "Prog Related." The way I see it, Prog Related exists for that purpose - only for bands that cannot be excluded from a prog archival site, but are not actually progressive rock. In the case of A7X, they ARE Progressive Metal, at this moment, despite whatever past they may have had. If their past isn't considered "prog related" enough for inclusion there (and since they have not yet been added to the site despite their popularity, chances are it isn't), then we have the dilemma I brought up in paragraph 3. Basically, if there IS an argument to include a band in Progressive Metal, than they SHOULD be included in progressive metal, if the consensus is that they're necessary for addition on the site, rather than to gamble with a harder category that wasn't quite meant for the band that would mean the exclusion of said necessary band. In other words, and to essentially repeat myself, Prog Related only really exists as a last resort option for bands who can't otherwise be considered for addition to this site, because the evaluators don't deem them "prog enough," but to ignore them from a database of prog does the band an injustice. Avenged Sevenfold IS Progressive Metal right now (and the key words here are "right now," which is what is making this one contentious) and therefore, to avoid a less satisfactory result of not having them on the site at all, it's better to look at them for Progressive Metal instead of Prog Related, and then to move to Prog Related ONLY if there's no way they can otherwise be added to the site.

Thus, and ultimately, for contentious bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, or even Nevermore, there should be an option to have a community consensus on the band's inclusion or have the ability for coordination between the site Admins, who handle Prog Related, the Prog teams, and the submitter of the band, so that the best possible option is chosen for the most satisfactory possible outcome. And thus I would like to ask the Admins here if there is a way to consider this band, initially for Prog Related, given the complicated nature of this band's discography in relation to prog music, before moving on to Progressive Metal, or if it is possible to have a community consensus for the band in this case?

And Gordy, you're supposed to send them to a site Admin. I guess, since Logan has been kind of in discussion here about this, due to my Avatar suggestion, maybe try him sending them to him.

Edited by bardberic - June 29 2023 at 14:43
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2023 at 16:08
They only need one truly prog album for inclusion and it appears the new one is unanimously so

I’ll have to check it out

I haven’t kept up with this band in some time

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 09:53
On the metal charts. Give us some time and patience and we'll have opinions as soon as possible.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 17:40
No idea why this band gets so much hate and has such low ratings across the board.

The new album is 100% progressive. Hope they make the cut.

Great direction this band has turned without losing that alt metal edge.

The album "The Stage" is also a nice mix of prog metal and thrash metal.

Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 18:06
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

No idea why this band gets so much hate and has such low ratings across the board.

The new album is 100% progressive. Hope they make the cut.

Great direction this band has turned without losing that alt metal edge.

The album "The Stage" is also a nice mix of prog metal and thrash metal.

The team is already quite split right now LOL For what it's worth though, I voted yes Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 18:58
^ not sure how anyone can't consdier Life Is But A Dream as prog metal. Clearest case i've encountered even though it certainly has "normal" moments of thrash and alt metal but overall there's more than enough prog

Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 20:50
I will soon start a thorough dive into their new album and their discography for the long weekend. I will probably be the slowest of the team to come to a conclusion while I give them a deep listen.

Edited by Gordy - July 01 2023 at 20:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 21:22
^ only the latest two albums would count as prog.
Early stuff was melodic metalcore and then they switched to a mix of alt metal and heavy metal

bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2023 at 22:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ only the latest two albums would count as prog.
Early stuff was melodic metalcore and then they switched to a mix of alt metal and heavy metal

Again, yes their very early stuff was melodic metalcore, and their "popular" phase of their career was Guns N Roses meets Metallica meets Iron Maiden-esque heavy metal, with their own alternative spin during their self-titled era, but as I stated before, this stuff is "proggy," in a comparable way to Metallica and Muse, with them even delving into straight up Dream Theater territory years before The Stage was released. Whether or not these moments are "good prog" is up for debate, similarly to The Grand Illusion-era Styx, eg. they weren't "good" prog, per se, but prog they were, but their 2010 song "Save Me," which sounds like it could have come straight out of a Dream Theater album, as I mentioned a while back, is pretty much universally considered to be amongst the band's best work to date, for one example. You'll have to pay close attention to the band and the details of their sound to really pick it up, despite what they may sound like on the surface, and I appreciate Gordy for taking the time to do this. As I stated a while back, again, once you can get past the band's cringey image, over-the-top metal cliches, and juvenile lyrics pre-2016, there's a lot to unpack with them.

For everyone analyzing the band, the notable albums are Life is But a Dream..., The Stage, City of Evil, and Nightmare, in that order. Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and Hail to the King are NOT prog whatsoever, so those ones should just be skipped entirely to save time, because you won't find anything good, there - the band almost made it to the Encyclopedia Metallum, but due to the album release of Hail to the King, they were denied. That's how bad that one was, and it'd be a shame for them to be rejected here because that one left a sour impression. Their eponymous album and Waking the Fallen have prog moments, but are not as notable as the four I gave above.

Edited by bardberic - July 01 2023 at 23:02
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 00:19
^Encyclopedia Metallum are a bunch of stuck up elitists...that´s why Avenged Sevenfold and a lot of other clearly metal oriented artists aren´t found there. It´s one of the reasons Max founded Metal Music Archives, where all genres of metal are welcome.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 00:26
^ Yep. The fact that they STILL haven't included Between the Buried and Me to this day - despite the fact that they released a 100% prog metal, non-"core" album like Coma Ecliptic - speaks volumes about their inclusion/exclusion process. Other artists not included: Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Punch (who I don't like, but they're still clearly metal), Suicide Silence, Converge, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Porcupine Tree (whose later albums are clearly prog metal), Tool, and many others. Oh, and Meshuggah are only included because of their first album. Absolutely f**king mental. 

Edited by Necrotica - July 02 2023 at 00:28

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 00:53
Porcupine Tree are not prog metal by any stretch of the imagination - at least to me. Which is why I prefer sites like TYM, which I founded as a place for all music, where each member can decide which genre fits best for each artist, release or track. 
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 00:54
TBC, there‘s obviously a lot of metal riffing on later PT releases, but IMHO even these are still more rock than metal.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2023 at 01:26
^ That's completely fair, and I will admit that PT was the biggest stretch I made in my original comment. But I do think that Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet are metal enough to warrant their inclusion on sites like MA

But tbh, MMA labeling those releases as "metal-related" is fine too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>