12 [41.38%]
3 [10.34%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Moody Blues vs Simon & Garfunkle
    Posted: August 27 2018 at 04:57
Mellow and nice sounding, yet lyrical and melodic. Some of the best melodies ever.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 06:52
stop putting the "both" option, it makes it very easy to vote, especially when you have great artists in the poll. :)
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 11:48
I rarely vote 'both' or 'neither' and make the tough choice, and this poll is a very tough choice Wink

On one hand, I love a lot of the Moodies stuff (though not enough to own anything but their '74 best of album.)  So many great songs, and while I've never really been into the symphony+prog band thing, their judicious use of the symphony in Nights in White Satin is brilliant.  Extra points also for selling King Crimson their first mellotron.

OTOH, S&G's "Bookends" is one of my all time faves and one of those late 60's albums I consider very proggy and ahead of it's time (Moog modular synth on 1 song (programmed by Dr Bob Moog himself), real life people interviews (a la Godspeed), an acoustic piece 'Bookends Theme' that opens and closes side 1 of the LP (similar to the 3 versions of 'Peace' on In the Wake of Poseidon), and "America" the greatest cover tune Yes ever played...

So I love a lot of Moody songs but not a complete album vs I love a lot of S&G songs and Bookends is one of my fave albums...S&G gets my vote Wink

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 12:15
I don't really care for the Moody Blues.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 23:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I rarely vote 'both' or 'neither' and make the tough choice, and this poll is a very tough choice Wink

On one hand, I love a lot of the Moodies stuff (though not enough to own anything but their '74 best of album.)  So many great songs, and while I've never really been into the symphony+prog band thing, their judicious use of the symphony in Nights in White Satin is brilliant.  Extra points also for selling King Crimson their first mellotron.

OTOH, S&G's "Bookends" is one of my all time faves and one of those late 60's albums I consider very proggy and ahead of it's time (Moog modular synth on 1 song (programmed by Dr Bob Moog himself), real life people interviews (a la Godspeed), an acoustic piece 'Bookends Theme' that opens and closes side 1 of the LP (similar to the 3 versions of 'Peace' on In the Wake of Poseidon), and "America" the greatest cover tune Yes ever played...

So I love a lot of Moody songs but not a complete album vs I love a lot of S&G songs and Bookends is one of my fave albums...S&G gets my vote Wink

the song Old Friends, speak to me on a personel level
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 05:06
I really love Simon & Garfunkel, but it´s Moodies for me.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 17:14
Will have to go with Simon & Garfunkel on this one. Love them both, but every one of S&G's original releases was amazing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 17:15
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

the song Old Friends, speak to me on a personel level

Listened to the album last night on headphones...Old Friends is a beautiful piece.  My fave song has always been Punky's Dilemma, but Save the Life of My Child is the prog star of the album.  Besides having that great modular Moog bass motif (which almost sounds exactly like a preset on the Moog Taurus bass pedals they later developed) it has a very McCartney like bass line played by LA session guy Joe Osborn.  Add to that the highly processed "choir on acid", samples of voices and noises, surrealistic story and the fantastic fade-out and you've got the most prog you could stuff into 2 minute 48 seconds in 1968 Heart

I've always considered Bookends to be S&G's Sgt Peppers Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - August 28 2018 at 17:17
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 19:21
Both essential but The Moodies just a little bit more for me.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 16:51
For me, the combined best from Simon & Garfunkel is better than the combined best from The Moody Blues.  Simon & Garfunkel get the vote.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2018 at 16:02
The Moodies are in my DNA. First band I ever loved.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 09:46
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The Moodies are in my DNA. First band I ever loved.

This. I'm surprised it's so close on PA. The Moodies have 7 Godlike albums.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 10:50
both, although much prefer the Moodys.  S&G had a handful of fantastic songs.  Rolling Stone once said that Paul Simon's solo output was better than all but the best few S&G songs.  I think it's the other way around.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 11:41
Absolute stalemate. Both.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 12:49
Moody Blues......though some of the S&G material is excellent.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 15:27
much as I love the Moodies...  no patch on S&G...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 05:36
I go for S&G ... because I strangely missed the Moodies at the time

(and you can't rewind the clock - there simply don't exist a second first love hahahaha)

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Rolling Stone once said that Paul Simon's solo output was better than all but the best few S&G songs.  I think it's the other way around.  

Totally agree, Ken
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClemofNazareth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 18:57
WTF!?

Satin versus Autumn. Take your pick.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 23:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Rolling Stone once said that Paul Simon's solo output was better than all but the best few S&G songs.  I think it's the other way around.  

Totally agree, Ken
Never also liked Simon´s solos. Hope I don´t hear ever again "You Can Call Me Al" or "Graceland".
 Post Reply Post Reply