Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog covers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog covers
    Posted: August 27 2018 at 23:41
I enjoy excellent covers of prog classics by tribute bands (Canada's Musical Box is a great example), and this version of CTTE was shared on a FB prog site.  

The keyboardist is amazing, and he is the current keyboardist with Brand X!  I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!  (all musicians are amazing, and the beginning is a hoot!)

(sorry, can't embed this for some reason, please check it out on YouTube)

Edited by cstack3 - August 27 2018 at 23:45
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 05:50
I had just discovered Richie Castellano's YouTube channel a day ago myself. They do a nice cover of South Side of the Sky too. Love the sinks!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 07:31
In Cleveland OH we have a band called ProgNation that does spot on covers of the best of ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Moody Blues and more. Two main driving forces behind the band, bassist Tony Cuda and his brother Chris on guitar, also have an original all-instrumental prog group called CuDaKriShaCuDa that's opened for the likes of Adrian Below, Project Object, the aforementioned Brand X, Stick Men, Carl Palmer and many others. They also have an original jazz fusion group called Tony Cuda's Jazz Cats. Check em out on YouTube or Facebook.
PROGMATIC
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 08:48
that was great---they play it better with more heart than either of the current Yes bands---the guitarist was brilliant ----playing those amazing guitar parts by god-Howe.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 10:44
Just in to the vocal section now. Very cool so far!

Edited by Argo2112 - August 28 2018 at 10:45
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 15:26
Richie's in Blue Öyster Cult, too!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 22:21
Thnaks for the link. Quite interesting I must say.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 23:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFU60rKTJo

A cover arguably as good as the original, imo.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Skybird View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 07:26
First contribution : not a perfect cover by any stretch of the imagination, also not always technically on point, but man, seeing these kids paying hommage to Magma surely is fun. These are students from the Conservatoire de Niort (France), playing / interpreting MDK (2013).

Second contribution is not a straight cover either, but if you like Quidam and Genesis you're in for a treat (no spoiler). I must admit major goosebumps when reviewing the video for this post. This is at the Baja Prog festival in Mexico (1999), Quidam playing Sanktuarium with a small surprise (starting at 6'20 or so, for the impatient).

TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 09:41
SMALL surprise? Wonderful! (No spoilers...)

It's great to see a 'traditional' prog band with a female lead singer, which is why I also like The Reasoning so much. (Did she REALLY thank Marti Pellow at the end? Shocked)

Edited by TiddK - August 29 2018 at 10:20
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 10:35
I think of all covers, Rachel Flowers is my favorite.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 11:28
Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

It's great to see a 'traditional' prog band with a female lead singer, which is why I also like The Reasoning so much. (Did she REALLY thank Marti Pellow at the end? Shocked)

I agree!  Many prog bands like Yes missed out by trying to replace Jon Anderson with another contra-tenor voiced male (Benoit David and Jon Davison).  I always thought Yes music was very well suited to a more feminine style of vocals - 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 12:08
I was going to post that Magenta  cover of Yes. I also like the way they do it.
:)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 14:55
Checking out some more of these Band Geek covers of Yes songs on You Tube. 
 They do a great job on these!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 17:01
Some excellent, strictly covers bands out there. Los Endos and The Musical Box cover classic Genesis superbly, and Noddy's Puncture do a great job with ELP as well (including a proper antique Moog!) I remember a Yes tribute called Fragile who used to do an excellent, slowed down version of Owner of a Lonely Heart. Not sure if they are still going. Cold Flame were a strong Jethro Tull tribute act and the U.K. Version of Prognosis covered classic prog out and new a few years ago (including Porcupine Tree) and even had the great Tim Esau of IQ helping out for a while. Lots are out there doing a great job in keeping the prog flame alive! Check many of them out on YouTube!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:36
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think of all covers, Rachel Flowers is my favorite.
Clap
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 15:41
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by TiddK TiddK wrote:

I agree!  Many prog bands like Yes missed out by trying to replace Jon Anderson with another contra-tenor voiced male (Benoit David and Jon Davison).  I always thought Yes music was very well suited to a more feminine style of vocals - 

It's really a great cover. I didn't know it.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2018 at 00:13
^ yep lovely and Magenta also did a good version of ELP's Lucky Man.
TiddK View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TiddK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 13:35
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Some excellent, strictly covers bands out there. Los Endos and The Musical Box cover classic Genesis superbly, and Noddy's Puncture do a great job with ELP as well (including a proper antique Moog!) I remember a Yes tribute called Fragile who used to do an excellent, slowed down version of Owner of a Lonely Heart. Not sure if they are still going. Cold Flame were a strong Jethro Tull tribute act and the U.K. Version of Prognosis covered classic prog out and new a few years ago (including Porcupine Tree) and even had the great Tim Esau of IQ helping out for a while. Lots are out there doing a great job in keeping the prog flame alive! Check many of them out on YouTube!

In my opinion, the best artist covering Genesis is Steve Hackett. Ok perhaps I'm cheating just a little, but considering he's the only member who was actually in Genesis, his band do superb covers. 

On the other hand, the best cover band for Hawkwind are Space_Ritual.net ... but when you consider that Nik Turner, Sam Ollis and his son, Del Dettmar, and - when I saw them - Dave Anderson, play in the band, they're more Hawkwind than that thief Brock who hijacked the name and has kept it in perpetuity. (Yes I know HIS Hawkwind have been around for longer than the original line up, but surely 'classic' Hawkwind is the 70s outfit).
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 01:11
That was amazing. I tried to imagine never having never heard Yes before and coming into them by stumbling upon that video.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>