Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance: Scheherazade and Other Stories.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance: Scheherazade and Other Stories.
    Posted: September 04 2018 at 04:07
Next up: Scheherazade and Other Stories. The title track is the group's magnum opus that never sounds too magnum or overblown to me, just perfect. And of course it's got the marvelous Trip to the Fair and Ocean Gypsy.

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2018 at 06:24
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 08:22
Whilst I never found the epic overblown, I also didn't find it THAT interesting vis a vis a Supper's Ready or CTTE or Echoes.  And those are among the few 20 minuters I like.  I usually like prog in the 7 to 15 min length rather than the epics, so that's just me.  And also, with it being an epic, there's too much music in Scheherazade and not enough of vocals. On the other hand, I love all the other three tracks, from the delightful Trip to the fair to the melancholic but soothing Ocean Gypsy to the slightly defiant Vultures Fly High. This is really where the band and Annie in particular really come into their own for me.  Not the previous two albums were lacking per se but from Scheherazade onwards, I sense a step up in the band's confidence and it stayed that way for the next two as well. Which is probably why most of the band members, barring Sullivan who names Ashes as his favourite album, pick this phase (Sch-Novella-SFAS) as their favourite.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 08:36
I'm with rogerthat on this one.  I'm all in on the first 8 mins or so of the epic but it seems to drag after that.  On the other hand, everything on the other side is top drawer, the best being "Trip to the Fair", with "The Vultures Fly High" sounding surprisingly natural considering it is as close to a rocker they got during their mid period
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 09:42
^ I love all the music in the title track from the Fanfare to the Fugue to the Festival Preparations! Smile

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2018 at 13:15
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 10:01
Thumbs Up
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 12:07
Trip To The Fair and Ocean Gypsy over the title track.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Trip To The Fair and Ocean Gypsy over the title track.
I agree with the good doctor!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 21:08
I do love the title track... for the first 12 min... once that vocal section ends (and actually the song seems to end there), I do loose interest in the rest... it's just that instrumental, orchestral sections mostly without the band, it doesn't work for me. The final section, where the band comes back, is great once again, but the momentum was already lost. There's a few other epic songs that seem to suffer a similar fate for me, having just about half of it being really great, but feeling over-long or not cohesive enough.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2018 at 01:01
I love every single second of an incredible piece of music and vision.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:44
They had better and more interesting songs. Just because it took up a whole side doesn't necessarily make it superior to other songs. And parts of it are moody and bland, waiting for the orchestra to do something.

Their next studio album - Novella - is much better, and probably their best overall album. I like the lengthy "Can You Hear Me?", which is a nice epic. "Midas Man" is cool too. Much advanced over the Scheherazade stuff. Plus, electric guitars start reemerging back into the music.

Other long tasty songs include "Can You Understand" and the title track from "Ashes Are Burning", "Running Hard" and "Trip to the Fair" from "Turn of the Cards", and the title track to "Song For All Seasons".

Edited by Boojieboy - September 14 2018 at 15:52
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:49
yeah...   I thought Ashes are Burning was the strongest album start to finish...

but Trip to the Fair has since become my single favorite Renaissance song and the song long title track is pure symphonic bliss.. only rivaled in that extremely overrated and misunderstood prog niche by Focus's Hamburger concerto...

but for the album as a whole...Ashes are Burning easily... for I sort of turn out on Schedherzade after the first song and until the 2nd side...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 15:59
Micky - That image icon looks like a classic Austin, TX musician who's name escapes me at the moment.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 16:01
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Micky - That image icon looks like a classic Austin, TX musician who's name escapes me at the moment.

hell yeah man.... Doug Sahm... one of the few musical idols I truly have...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 16:04
Cool! I'm not familiar with his music - yet - but know about a lot of other Texas musicians and bands.

I've participated in my share of TX-based music, including the following prog bands:

Nightwheel
Vatican Commandos
Shirk
Wideminder

Maybe someday I'll post some of that obscure stuff on YouTube.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 14 2018 at 16:05
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2018 at 16:07
way cool. Do check him out he was one of the fathers.. perhaps THE father of Tex-Mex.. I do love that stuff.  I'm left cost born and raised, east born grown and educated, but my favorite years were spent llving  in OK and TX soaking up the women, beer and music scene there.

Edited by micky - September 14 2018 at 16:08
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 03:00
Is it just me or does anybody else think that Trip To The Fair sounds like something that Julie Andrews might sing in Mary Poppins?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 03:39
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Is it just me or does anybody else think that Trip To The Fair sounds like something that Julie Andrews might sing in Mary Poppins?
Its not just you
 Post Reply Post Reply