Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes: The Yes Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 07:06
I got into it after Fragile and liked it a lot more. A great album with so many highlights!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 08:53
Saw them play all of the Yes album, all of CTTE, and a couple of tracks from Fragile when they played Cruise to the Edge in 2014. Chris Squire was still with us then. Fantastic show. The Yes album will always be one of my fav's, even though Gates of Delerium from Relayer is number one in my book (but that's a different thread).
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 09:58
I love how prominent Steve Howe is on the album, even though he was the new guy. I'd definitely recommend this album as a must-hear for guitar players, even if they're not into prog.

As said earlier, the live versions really overshadow the studio versions! Although I love that little bit of studio trickery in Perpetual Change where it sounds like there are 2 bands playing a completely different song. Would be great if there was more live stuff with Bruford and Wakeman in the 70s, but as a non-drummer, my ears automatically focus on the other instruments and vocals.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:29
^ Yep, lot's of great Howe guitar on this one! Btw, ForestFriend is a cool handle that conjures up images of Jack-in-the Green! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:47
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Although I love that little bit of studio trickery in Perpetual Change where it sounds like there are 2 bands playing a completely different song. 

That's my favorite moment on the album. If someone was to ask me for one example of what is great about Yes I would probably pick that. The way they took those two sections of music and blended them together, pure magic!
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 10:53
Strangely enough, they didn't play that song on the Union tour. The one song where they would've needed two drummers, two keyboardists and two guitarists!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:33

Strangely enough, they didn't play that song on the Union tour. The one song where they would've needed two drummers, two keyboardists and two guitarists!

Good point, though they handled that section just fine on Yessongs LOL
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 11:53

I saw them on that tour. You're right , that would have been awesome!

Edited by Argo2112 - September 07 2018 at 11:53
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 14:27
Love the album, particularly that crazy bit in Perpetual Change when they play 2 different bits in different time signatures that match up.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2018 at 17:54
Right from the first song you definitely know it's Yes and that it's prog. If forced to pick a favorite album from them right now, I would honestly probably pick this one. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 21:22
I'm in the vast minority here by thinking I could actually do without this album. The only song I really like in it is "Starship Trooper", the rest are at the best OK (well, Clap is more than OK, though that's a different story, I guess). And about Starship Trooper, the Keys to Ascension versios is so much better, that I don'r really ever want to hear the studio version agains instead of that one. So yeah, I could easily do without The Yes Album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 15:00
When you think about it its quite a 'friendly' prog album , very melodic and uncluttered. A prog album that probably converted many and launched Yes into the big league alongside ELP ( their main rivals) , Crimson and Tull. I love the organ sound Kaye gets so not realty missing Wakeman. The Clap is the only moment I'm not keen on. A Venture is not bad and actually in its way quite memorable. I would only put Fragile and CTTE ahead of it in the Yes canon of music.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 15:06
My favorite album of theirs; it has stood the test of time incredibly well, for me. Love every second of it.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 16:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

When you think about it its quite a 'friendly' prog album , very melodic and uncluttered. A prog album that probably converted many and launched Yes into the big league alongside ELP ( their main rivals) , Crimson and Tull. I love the organ sound Kaye gets so not realty missing Wakeman. The Clap is the only moment I'm not keen on. A Venture is not bad and actually in its way quite memorable. I would only put Fragile and CTTE ahead of it in the Yes canon of music.

You make a very good point about it being 'friendly', melodic and uncluttered. We do need these types of 'gateway' prog albums to draw in fresh souls to the cause - where they can then fly to more eclectic and progressive areas that many here rightly sing the praises of.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 17:47
Originally posted by Chaser Chaser wrote:

One of their four classics, alongside CTTE, Fragile, and Relayer

Steve Howe's guitar solo on Starship Trooper is one of my all time favourite pieces.

Can't leave Tales out.  

One of their five classics.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 17:53
Gateway prog, or prog-lite is some of my favourite prog though. Sometimes melodic and uncluttered is the way to go. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 18:26
My first Yes album i believe. Still has a special place in my heart. Like everyone else says, one of their classics.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:16
Definitely gateway. Good idea.

I'd heard a fair bit of Yes but it wasn't until Side 1 of The Yes Album that the light bulb sprang up. (Had not heard CTTE or Relayer or even too much of Tales then...)

Nice catchy guitar riffs big sounds.

All went downhill afterward. (Kidding!)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:26
Their best album hands down.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2018 at 02:58
My favourite by Yes too. CTTE is a classic but if someone asked me to introduce them to prog I'd play The Yes Album as it's much more accessible. The first and last tracks on each side are the stand out songs but I do have an appreciation for A Venture as well. Clap is the one track that I could happily skip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12