FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't bands keep their level

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why can't bands keep their level
    Posted: September 14 2018 at 08:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

5 to 6 is the average number for the super bands like Yes or Genesis. But that's rare.

I think that many artists blew this out of the universe. It's hard to think that Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Amon Duul 2, Can, Ange, PFM, Ozric Tentacles, Gong, Frank Zappa ... and so many other bands, had an incredible amount of great work, even though we think that only a couple of these bands count on the theme that we're discussing. 

Heck, TD was as good if not better in concert in the later years than in the earlier days, when the music was great, but the cohesion of it all was not as lively and exciting as the later moments with a guitarist, Linda, and a additional drummer on electronic drums. It added a strength to the material that was already top notch.

The "measure" should not be on our preferences. The measure should be on the complete listing of works, and both YES and GENESIS did extremely well in their lifetime, and we love them for it, despite us thinking that only a couple of pieces count. You and I do not sit here and say that Picasso's Blue Period is sheep dip and that the Rose Period is bull dip! And I'm not about to say the same thing about YES or GENESIS due to the amount of respect I have for them as artists ... most folks will never get that far and do so much!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 06:56
5 to 6 is the average number for the super bands like Yes or Genesis. But that's rare.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 06:53
^There are artists that has made much more great albums than just 5 or 6, but only progartist that come into my mind, who has done it, is Faust. Well, I think Circle also has made more.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 03:58
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Making quality music year after year is really, really hard.   One only has a finite amount of good ideas without repeating oneself, and the listening public is unforgiving, impatient and unrealistic.   A band that is together for ten years and puts out consistent work isn't the norm but instead is lucky, has unusual chemistry and works hard.   That's a rare thing.

Albums like Crest of a Knave or 90215 or Abacab are even more impressive in this context and saw these bands digging deep into their creative coffers, bravely releasing music that was both new and of high quality even though the work may not considered their best.

It's good of David to bring this question back down to earth. Just writing material for one good album is a major accomplishment let alone a string of 5 or 6.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
gforce View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gforce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 22:48
Test post from newbie. I just wrote a dissertation and it vanished when I hit post. This is only a test.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 06:57
Originally posted by The Unifaun The Unifaun wrote:

Why does so many super-prog-groups e.g. Yes, ELP, Genesis etc. made their best albums in the early years, while all releases afterwards never had the quality of their predecessors. To a certain extend it must be frustrating to be in business for 40 years and longer, and having your historical and cultural climax so far in the past.

I am of the opinion that over exposure of their work, only brought out the ants, the flies, the mice and the rest of the dirt possible.

When, in time, you have a couple of critics, like your parents, you are growing up and you secretly finger them, and do it your way anyway. But it seems, that when you have 6 cars, a pool, a mansion, ten girlfriends, 7 children and heaven knows what else ... I suppose that you might feel the pressure to come up with something "good" and "important" ... which translates into $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ... that is, it must SELL so the media can proclaim that the public likes it, and get even more sales out of it.

We can look at the history of many artists, composers, writers ... and some were applauded at first and some were trashed silly ... and my opinion for 2018 is that too many artists and "famous" people are allowing the media and the "fame" to dictate their livelihood, and my feelings about that is that they are not artists ... they are BEAN COUNTERS.

All in all, there are some dedicated folks that deserve some serious credit for the amount of work ... a Peter Hammill let's say ... but these days, the media does not give a poop about the amount of work, and its quality ... everywhere you go, all you see is numbers about how much it sold, or how many people did not see this movie or that movie, and so on. And, we, sometimes like RPW's "A Nation of Sheep" are afraid of the "powers that be" and what they can do, and all we are finding is a President that is very selfish and not exactly fair, when it comes to his politics, up to and including intimidating people, with complete disrespect for the nation's Constitution. 

Is that a good example for your own child?

There was a REAL, and IMPORTANT reason for the 60's and the upheaval that brought on so many changes in the arts, all of them ... and they had to do with similar thoughts and concepts, with too many folks "up there" that did not give a cahoot about anything except their fame and good words on the media ... and 50 to 60 years later, we still are doing the same thing, and applauding "stars", some of whom are likely the most vain and selfish folks around ... ohhh, excuse me ... I have a pet something to do to make me look good and get some media attention ... I'm going to take out the garbage for my elderly neighbor that is bed ridden, and then going to take the old lady's dog out for a stroll, since she is not capable of walking that far! Even DE might enjoy that one!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 21:54
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

Because I have started this thread, I have to admit, that my question might have not been accurate enough. The question should have been, "Why does some progressive rock bands can't keep their level?"
So, yes, it's true - there are some who kept their level. To a certain extend. But did anyone with a big name made his best work in the later years? I don't think so.
And I believe we collected a lot of reasons why this is the case. I have found a few reasons in this discussion that makes most sense to me - so for me, my question is answered.

One thing about the early prog bands is that they were inspired by the scene around them and the recently opened possibilities. This propelled them beyond even their natural genius. As a result, once this initial burst of innovation was expressed, it became very difficult to sustain that level of quality output.

A modern prog band, on the other hand, only has their own genius to draw upon in the first place. As such, they are not riding any wave of innovation and inspiration from outside of themselves that can then let them down once it has been exhausted.

I already gave a few examples of later day albums that are great... but searching for the ones that are the best from the bands... For me The Raven That Refused to Sing is the best Steven Wilson album that I have heard, Porcupine Tree included. And I haven't heard much of their discographie's, but I understand Big Big Train's recent albums have been better received than their earlier ones, specially English Electric. Perhaps the same could be said about Anathema. And "The Road of Bones" seems to be considered IQ's best album... or at least the best rated one, if the rating haven't changed. I must be missing some other 80's or 90's band that I have seen with great ratings at this point.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 19:59
There are so many reasons why the output of certain bands diminished over the years, many of which have been mentioned here.  But there are many that didn't necessarily diminish.  Frank Zappa, as has been mentioned, didn't diminish in his compositional talents.  His discography is inconsistent through his entire career.  There is not a period of time where he has had both masterpieces and failures, sometimes one right after the other.  His ingenuity never really diminished though, it's just that some of his music didn't always appeal to everyone.  If you listen to "Civilization Phase 3", for example, you might think it is strange, but it is actually an amazing piece of work.  Same thing with "The Yellow Shark" and "Jazz From Hell".  But, of course there are many less than perfect albums released in the same time period, just as there were though his entire career
Another one that comes to mind is Steven Wilson.  His solo albums, "Porcupine Tree" albums and "No-man" albums all got better with time, and continue to get better.  Of course, he is younger than the Prog Gods of yesteryear, but he has been around for a while now, and most of the huge bands of yesteryear like ELP, Kansas and Genesis never kept up or built upon their quality as long as he has.

Then there is King Crimson.  I am partial to them because they are my favorite band, but I am just as impassioned for their later work as their early work.  Yes, as someone else mentioned, Fripp constantly changed the line up and didn't stagnate.  Bruford said, as noted in the band's biography on this sight, that if he wanted to hear the future, he just puts on a Crimson record.  "Thrak" is an often overlooked KC album that was so cutting edge for it's time and many bands of today have been inspired by it.  I love it as much as I love "Red" and that is saying a lot.  Sure, they changed their sound so much that some people didn't appreciate or like it because it was different from what they liked, but that does not mean that their later music was crap. 

I don't expect everyone to agree with this because everyone has their own taste.  There are bands that other people love here that I don't put on a pedestal like others do, but I admit that just because I don't like it doesn't mean it is bad music.  I'm not as crazy about "Genesis" as most people here, for example, but I appreciate their music and recognize that they are an amazing progressive band of the highest caliber, and I don't think they are overrated, but I have never been able to put them on a personal favorite list, and that is after giving myself plenty of chances through the years.  But I always keep my mind open.  Hey, I hated Yes when I was younger, now I don't understand what was wrong with me back then.  I even like some of their newer albums like "Magnification" and "The Ladder" (not the current band line up though, that is not Yes, it's someone that has highjacked the name, I don't think that will ever change in my mind.) 

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 01:31

Because I have started this thread, I have to admit, that my question might have not been accurate enough. The question should have been, "Why does some progressive rock bands can't keep their level?"
So, yes, it's true - there are some who kept their level. To a certain extend. But did anyone with a big name made his best work in the later years? I don't think so.
And I believe we collected a lot of reasons why this is the case. I have found a few reasons in this discussion that makes most sense to me - so for me, my question is answered.

One thing about the early prog bands is that they were inspired by the scene around them and the recently opened possibilities. This propelled them beyond even their natural genius. As a result, once this initial burst of innovation was expressed, it became very difficult to sustain that level of quality output.

A modern prog band, on the other hand, only has their own genius to draw upon in the first place. As such, they are not riding any wave of innovation and inspiration from outside of themselves that can then let them down once it has been exhausted.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Some bands simply have a shelf life and once they hit that, they are done creatively. Sometimes, they implode due to personal issues between the members, sometimes members perish, sometimes they just run out of ideas. 
The idea of a constantly changing lineup aka King Crimson is an interesting one as it can infuse a band with new life. However I prefer bands that maintain more of a consistent lineup. It seems odd to me when bands have no original members anymore and yet still have the same name. Are they even still the same bands anymore? I would say no. KC is a bit different in that there was always Fripp leading the way.  
If todayīs Thin Lizzy didnīt call them Thin Lizzy, I believe they would have plenty less gigs. I think itīs audience decision do they want to hear old classics played by some members that have been at least some time in the original band or by some totally tribute band. Also, you have to remember some original members have wanted their bands continue. For example Daevid Allen wanted Gong to continue & Lee Brilleaux Dr. Feelgood.

On the other hand there are lots of bands that I am not interested at all their new material and just like everyone else, want to hear their old classics. No complaints about that Rog played only four songs in his quite great new solo album and rest was Floyd. And about Crimson I really would like to see them now when at least half of the material is from seventies.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 11:07
Maybe fans should be allowed to reassign prog band members into new bands, to foster innovation? 

LOL

In college, my chums and I used to speculate about "What if..." such as "What if Bob Fripp were to join Yes?" 

It turns out that he nearly did, after Banks was sacked! 

Some of these reassignment projects are very interesting.  Anderson Ponty Band, although short-lived, was highly innovative and produced some very good music in its brief lifespan.  Transatlantic is another impressive band that mixes and matches.  I'm sure you will think of others. 

Regarding the 70s cohort, I fear that these heroes are aging and, although still in the game, won't be for many years longer.  I lament that we do not have as many young artists developing the musical chops to take their places...PA is a great place to learn of new and emerging talent.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 07:50
Thinking specifically about bands (rather than individuals as in my earlier posting), it is also probably rare that different members develop in the same or compatible ways over time. Some bands would have their trademark style and for the members it may only be one thing among many they're interested in, and at some point they may drop it completely while still going on making music (Phil Collins in Brand X comes to mind). It is certainly harder for a band with several strong egos than for an individual to develop and change approach in a consistent manner, which is well illustrated by the different King Crimson lineups with one constant member. People are just different and the chemistry between people make work for some years and then no longer. It may work more easily between musicians who have a weaker drive to innovate and change, and who are happy to still play the same style and largely the same material after 20+ years. No wonder that this class of bands then doesn't come out with great new things anymore.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 06:57
Some bands simply have a shelf life and once they hit that, they are done creatively. Sometimes, they implode due to personal issues between the members, sometimes members perish, sometimes they just run out of ideas. 
The idea of a constantly changing lineup aka King Crimson is an interesting one as it can infuse a band with new life. However I prefer bands that maintain more of a consistent lineup. It seems odd to me when bands have no original members anymore and yet still have the same name. Are they even still the same bands anymore? I would say no. KC is a bit different in that there was always Fripp leading the way.  
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 05:06
To me it seems eighties were mostly the worst time in prog, many progbands had to turn into pop or split, because there were no audience to the ambitious music. But in the nineties there seemed to become again audience to the prog, although not as much as in the seventies at least in the UK. I think Faust is quite good example of this, it disbanded already in the seventies, but started again in the nineties and since then had made mostly great albums, the last one become last year.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 04:47
That music artists write a lot of music that ends up being recorded for future use when they are only in their early teens is a very common occurrence such as Greg Lake's Lucky Man, for example. After the initial creative drive, many dry up in their late 20's, which is also very common. Hence the rise and decline of the artist's music, especially in the 70's when many artists took off early on in the decade.

Edited by SteveG - September 10 2018 at 06:46
Apricot View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apricot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 03:04
There's a lot of factors that have already been mentioned. Record label control, getting old, etc. But I don't think prog-bands going pop was ever a lack of creativity or selling out, at least not initially. Art-rock started making its way into the scene in the 70s, and one if its underpinning philosophies was the blend of high and low culture. I think a lot of prog bands picked up on this, and INITIALLY it was a fresh creative choice to make - but then most people favoured the pop over the prog and prog-bands followed that tide.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Always exceptions of course, Frank Zappa seemed to have a big enough following through all his phases of his existence, but of course, he was an exception and not the rule.
To me Zappa is one of the biggest examples how creativity is great in the youth, but low when you get older. I think Zappa made genius records in the sixties, but right in the begin of seventies started to just recycle his old ideas. Most of the seventies albums are ok, but just ok, they lack the greatness of those sixties albums. I listened quite recently the whole Joeīs Garage first time and about it "humour" I have to say he really was those in this rock business who has really big macho ego, that I really havenīt ever find anything great.

I have to disagree. While Joe's Garage never did much for me, and his canon is surely a spotty affair, i find albums like Thing-Fish and Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch to be utterly brilliant. Granted the earliest stuff was some of the best but Zappa held up in the creativity department even if it didn't appeal to everyone whereas bands like Yes, Genesis and the other suspects turned into the worst possible crap you could imagine. Zappa had turkeys from the beginning. Cruising with Rueben and the Jets was not very good IMHO.

One thing that made Zappa more interesting for me is that he always changed the band members up to add more creative juices to flow. I think new chemistry is the key. Just my take on it. Many others can't stand the newer Zappa stuff but i've always loved it myself.
I like Cruising With Ruben, althought donīt think itīs his sixties genius albums, just like I donīt also think Freak Out! to be although like it too. I believe Cruising was not meant to taken seriously already in the beginning, itīs more just "letīs have fun with the old times"-album (I believe thatīs the reason itīs released originally under pseudonym).

Only after seventies album I have fully heard is Jazz From Hell, which I also think to be ok, but just ok. If you think I should listen those albums you mention (I hope theyīre not some kind of guitar m*sturbation like for example your one favourite Buckethead is) I promise to listen them someday.

But, even those album will be great (which I have doubts) Zappa anyway released after 1985 mostly live albums, so you can say his creativity low in the end of his life. Or are you saying his three last studio albums great (I havenīt heard any of those)?

And about many progbands after seventies stuff, I donīt think most of it is horrible crap, although most progbands stuff is at least little bit blander than their earlier stuff.

Edited by Mortte - September 10 2018 at 02:57
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:21
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The effectiveness of a solo depends so much on the context. A good solo doesn't just support the music, it is the music (of course it's a part of the music). How integral it is and how integrated it should be into the greater piece depends on context and an individual's assessment. Sometimes a solo adds another dimension to the music, and an interesting opportunity to explore themes and create contrasts. It can work well in juxtaposition, or can be used in a more cohesive, straight-forward musical manner.

Well observed and quite correct.   It is the music around the solo that makes it work and be engaging, and a soloist's understanding of how music works in context with the chords and harmonies, both emotionally and technically.

Very much agree with both of you fine gents. Punk Flute is the quintessential band to showcase this imho.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 02:04
Maybe some bands do but they may change. They don't want to plough the same furrow but move on.

The audience - particularly those who grew up with certain albums view those with a golden view. The emotional association is now in a package. Same with fans who lost their virginity when 90125 and Big Generator turned up.

But the bands move on driven by whatever powers their imaginations. It seems whatever new things happen things change and the audience do not want change. Ironic is it not; progress demands change.

So bands have different levels but the audience may only have one and that is the one level they view bands on. Really it's a diametric view; that of the audience to a band is not how a band sees itself.

It's not just prog bands, every fan of most popular music "allow" a certain few albums to be the core and even later albums get lost. Some albums have had 30 - 50 years to grow but later efforts get dismissed (thinking of Bowie here).

It's up the audience to adapt as well and people do not like change.

At least pop culture doesn't affect prog bands and their audience too much. The gate keepers had no idea then and have been paying catch up in their press since (thinking of Prog magazine never mind all the rest from by gone days who had little to no idea). Pop culture limits acts, their audience and then prog turns up demanding too much attention. Pop culture is the corporate game and prog did not play that game.

Slight digression but this is how perception of levels is created and maintained in the minds of the audience.

The other half is when bands settle on a style e.g. Rush from Hold Your Fire onward and work within a more comfortable means of expression. Or Ozric Tentacles - the ACDC of prog who put out the same thing over and over. It's a band and their audience in a comfort zone, safe from change.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 13:11
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The effectiveness of a solo depends so much on the context. A good solo doesn't just support the music, it is the music (of course it's a part of the music). How integral it is and how integrated it should be into the greater piece depends on context and an individual's assessment. Sometimes a solo adds another dimension to the music, and an interesting opportunity to explore themes and create contrasts. It can work well in juxtaposition, or can be used in a more cohesive, straight-forward musical manner.

Well observed and quite correct.   It is the music around the solo that makes it work and be engaging, and a soloist's understanding of how music works in context with the chords and harmonies, both emotionally and technically.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>